It's that explorer gene in some of us. We'll eventually colonize the planets, if we can find suitable conditions for the human being and materials to support life. They're looking for water on Mars. There once was, as you can see, from photos at altitude. They're close to a river delta. Did the water just evaporate or just go subsurface? It's a human quirk to want to see what's on the other side. Bravo for a successful landing on the Red Planet.

21 hours ago, Diver said:

Absolute waste of money, employing a very very small group of highly educated people who would better off finding solutions to the problems here on our own planet

Suppose there were those with the same sentiment when the explorers set about the high seas in search of   ...............?

22 hours ago, Diver said:

Absolute waste of money, employing a very very small group of highly educated people who would better off finding solutions to the problems here on our own planet

They already have - about 2,000 spin off products from NASA

• CMOS-APS sensor in digital cameras/Smart phones
  • GPS navigation system in cars/trucks/cell phones
  • LASIK
  • scratch/chip resistant lenses
  • Solar powered electric generation
  • Pocket size computers/Apple i-wrist watch/FITBIT watches
  • Digital voice communication
  • Odor omitting shoe inserts
  • Laser imaging
  • Collision avoidance technology in cars
  • Lane departure/lane keeping
  • Satellite radio, e.g., SiriusXM
  • etc

See NASA Spinoffs

When I started my career in computer programming we still had computers with vacuum tubes. Anybody remember SAGE . 😉

Edited by Jack12477

Robotic craft are a whole lot cheaper than manned missions.

Where money and lives will be wasted is when we send humans on one-way trips to Mars and elsewhere here in the solar system. I'm as much a fan of space sci-fi as the next person. But the bottom line is that humans aren't designed to make long voyages where only their little groups can hold them accountable. This was never the case with even the voyages of discovery here on earth.

21 minutes ago, CDR_Ret said:

Robotic craft are a whole lot cheaper than manned missions.

Where money and lives will be wasted is when we send humans on one-way trips to Mars and elsewhere here in the solar system. I'm as much a fan of space sci-fi as the next person. But the bottom line is that humans aren't designed to make long voyages where only their little groups can hold them accountable. This was never the case with even the voyages of discovery here on earth.

Nor is the earth designed for billions upon billions of people depleting its limited resources. There are those that would argue (Hawking amongst them) that the only hope for survival of our species is in space. I can't imagine the world my grandchildren will inherit but it scares the hell out of me.

Greg, your children and grandchildren will inherit what will be their world. It will then be their responsibility to make decisions for themselves.

As for colonising outer space.....what has it done to deserve us?

Life was, is and always will be a 'near death experience' (NDE)

Wisdom is a rare thing which each successive generation must re-discover and try to share.

It's surprising how blind and deaf the human race is after all this time.

1 hour ago, Diver said:

Good point, but we are still exploring our high seas, or more likely under seas.  I believe we would be better off understanding all aspects of our own planet before we venture out to the far flung planets.

Why do they need to be mutually exclusive?

Humankind has explored in all directions and tested his ability to use what is discovered since the beginning of time. Why stop now?