Slo-mo-shun IV by Blackreed - Billings Boats - 1/12 - hydroplane

Hello all, this is my first build log. This boat has been on my models bucket list for some time, and last December model expo had it marked down and it fit right into my budget.

After 2 months and a lot of searching I was able to get the engine. I was lucky enough to get an Allison 1710 from TDR innovations, I intend to paint it to resemble the Merlin that SLO-mo-shun ran.

My initial take on the kits instructions is some what of a let down, I read through them 3 times, or should I say I looked at the pictures, not understanding any of it, only to decide that I would probably make headway once the parts were in my hands.

The actual wood provided is of good quality, I did also forage around for alternative ideas for the hood, I think I’m good there now, we’ll learn as we go.

62626CE9-E466-4B49-AAE5-8DBE21CF2A1F.jpeg

This is the TDR Innovations engine.

The overall size is great, now I need to sort out the linkage, fuel lines, water and oil lines, how I’m going to do the spark plug wires and if I’m going to be doing the inside set, as this will be impossible to see.

I also need to sort out the intake, as none was provide, simply the carburetors.

The engine needs to be placed so that the crank and the output shaft are in a perfect line.

I also want to build the engine cradle so that I have something to attach the engine to.

My overall opinion of the engine is that it is very nice, it comes with no instructions, so par for the course here, however I’ve identified all the parts and will sort them as I’m ready to paint.

BA1F0C80-B219-42B6-B2B7-72A7B43876D3.jpeg

I assembled the framing along what I believe is the keel. This was pretty easy to figure out.

I only glued the rear frame and squared that with the keel, I then laid in all the following frame pieces, leaving them dry.

I began running the pieces that hold the frame true, gluing each one at 67mm, as per the keel.

6261E8D4-9515-49D1-8DBC-832C04841A34.jpeg

9570EE81-D43B-4788-8862-677684744268.jpeg

Once all of this had dried I cut the keel free.

This was fairly easy, the Zona saw made quick work of the rear couple, then because the frame got in the way I turned to the Dremel, oh the smell of burning wood.

Only one of the frame support pieces popped free, easy fix, these pieces all fit together so well there’s practically no reason for glue. I am going to pin them together, I do not want any of this coming apart later.

I am going to be working off the supports for the engine mounts, or at least in my mind that’s how it’s working so far.

D8744034-2383-4311-8A50-3552A20F4BA2.jpeg

DFC6D0F6-C1A2-4716-B12C-C36159270B08.jpeg

8434526F-1016-4615-9645-8694E3E21B8A.jpeg

so good to see someone building this kit!  I wanted to get it and do it as an M&M racing boat for the admiral.......instead I built the Fun Ship {it was still a pretty fun project.   what didn't you get instructions for?  I have a set of instructions for this model......I downloaded it from the Billing UAS site.  re reading your initial post cleared up my confusion.......so I took a browse at the Shapeway site.......HOLY COW man!   simply awesome!   I saw a couple bodies I liked........got a mind to make a funny car out of a '60 Chevy Belair........an engine would be nice too  ;)   if you got these parts for the engine separately,  then yes.....it would be hard to have instructions for assembly.

should be an interesting project........I'm rather jealous  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Through looking into these boats I noticed that this kit with very simple modifications could be made into any boat of this era.

These things are very difficult to find good data on.

Shapeways is a gem of a site, some of the lead times are painful, and some of the prices, look into the 1/8 scale D-type Jaguar, it’s so close and yet so far away.

For some really cool and somewhat affordable drag racing paraphernalia check out 3D Model Specialties by Ron Olson on Shapeways.

I asked a friend to head over to photograph SLO-mo-shun in person and to not hold back on the detail shots, unfortunately due to our current situation that’s going to be a no-go for the time being.

I do also hope to someday build the Ferrari, I’m just not looking forward to that engine.

The worst part here has been several eBay wins and 2 more acquisitions from Model Expo that Have been very hard to resist for the last 2 months while waiting for these parts, the only missing link for now is Spaz Stix high gloss and chrome paint.

lunch is over, to the shop.

I did more planning than working yesterday, hoping today goes smoother.

I got started on the engine, I need to figure out it’s height at several different places. So the cylinders are on.

I drilled out what I suspected was the spark plug wire rails, only to notice that the oiling system hooks to this, it’s a bit low, no loss there, I’ll place plugs into the holes to resemble freeze plugs, then I will make the spark plug wire rails and attach them.

I also designed the spark plugs, I will drill out the heads for them today, and get ready for the intake to be assembled, I believe the intake should not be on the engine during the initial painting because it’s going to be in the way.

B04E2989-D581-415B-9F17-1E716DDD4916.jpeg

9FC3BE04-C94E-41CA-901E-098CC78B9353.jpeg

I also got the frames all pinned together, now if they come apart it’s because I made it.

I also got everything sanded so the planking will go smoothly.

There is a brass tube here, this tube is a bearing carrier, the drive shaft will pass through this. This step is not included in the directions, as the holes that this tube pass through are very tight and then the brass tube passes through on an angle it’s very tight, and I’m not sure how this would have been done later. And the tube has to be placed so that the planking can clear it as well as the bearings, I’ll have them in place today so I can begin measuring for the engine and drivers floor supports.

I need that drive shaft to show me the angle the motor mounts will be at. I may change this angle later, but for now I want to stay on point so the end result looks close to the real thing.

EC71CCD1-8CF8-462E-BC0A-430EC51F1D2F.jpeg

Billing is usually pretty spot on with their mounting holes........I have the general diagram for R/C.   if this is be a static model,  it shouldn't matter.....the shaft will need to be at this required pitch,  going through the hull.   browsing through the shape ways site.......you could go with the mopar hood scoop.  should look rather neat  ;) 

does the kit still supply  .05X25X550 mm mahogany strips for the hull?  I got a pack of them when Tom closed down Billing USA....I figure they are in this kit

Edited by popeye the sailor
extra text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye 

It does come with the mahogany strips, very nice, and plenty of it, Billings didn’t short that.

I don’t want to sound like a hater of Billings, I’m very mindful of every model, and I rate them by the parts, of which in this case I’ll be making the parts and then by the instructions.

I did receive another Billings Boat yesterday that I won on eBay, it’s called a Motorlogger, Birgitte no. 494, unfortunately it’s not complete, it has everything but the frame and metal hardware, what a shame. The instructions are very nice, very detailed. It even came with a color pamphlet showing all of their products. I can not find a date, it did come from Altech Marketing, Inc.

I could see in the pictures that the pieces were missing, I had hoped the plans and the wood I did get would be worth the $25, I enjoy collecting models as much as building them, and as much as I enjoy milling my own lumber, I’ve completely lost control of my wood collection. 
I have another wagon in the slot behind SLO-Mo-Shun, it will be the Django dentist wagon, I was hoping this wood would work for that but looks a bit small, good for trimming.

let me get some update on slo-mo, as I’ve had an unexpectedly busy week.

Dan

I don't believe I've ever seen that kit by Billings before.....has to be an older kit,  likely not laser cut.   I've gotten two Nordkap kits in the past......the first one I've built,  and the second one I'm building as the Progress,  a spin off of the Nordkap and produced around the same time { actually,  I think one was a bit older}.  older Billings kits did not come with the fittings......they were purchased separately.  but chances are,  that someone started to build it and gave up........hence the other missing parts.  if you have the instructions,  I'm sure that there are pictures of the parts panels........you could blow them up and scratch produce your own parts.  I do that with the spent parts panels ......I save them {try my damndest not to damage them}.  this engine looks very interesting.......can't wait to see what it looks like  ;) 

if you could post a picture of the lugger's box,  that would be neat :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

These are the main beams running through the boat, I plan to build the driver’s floor and the motor mounts off of these.

My next step is to find the angle to the motor mounts, and to build the transmission, for whatever reason they did not include the transmission, I have a plan for it.

The spark plugs pressed right in.

FC51213B-71DB-4799-B4B8-B6CF2215950A.jpeg

7420247A-C087-46A0-BA0C-8A856FFB023E.jpeg

0BFC3576-0167-43E1-8E52-9F0A19493022.jpeg

17 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I don't believe I've ever seen that kit by Billings before.....has to be an older kit,  likely not laser cut.   I've gotten two Nordkap kits in the past......the first one I've built,  and the second one I'm building as the Progress,  a spin off of the Nordkap and produced around the same time { actually,  I think one was a bit older}.  older Billings kits did not come with the fittings......they were purchased separately.  but chances are,  that someone started to build it and gave up........hence the other missing parts.  if you have the instructions,  I'm sure that there are pictures of the parts panels........you could blow them up and scratch produce your own parts.  I do that with the spent parts panels ......I save them {try my damndest not to damage them}.  this engine looks very interesting.......can't wait to see what it looks like  ;) 

if you could post a picture of the lugger's box,  that would be neat :) 

The boat is so old the parts look screen printed, and then require hand cutting out.

I was saddened that the plans do not include the parts, it does look like it could be figured out, there are two pieces of the framing, no keel, but the deck is the top which will show the width, and the 2 pieces still here may show the height.

C158C613-D83A-473A-B6EB-788BB6981322.jpeg

I began planking the boat, once I got to the 5th board I realized that I needed to sand the last frame piece before the nose, I got a little over zealous and got into the nose.

I then began studying the instructions because this is not noted and realized that carving the stress out of the planks was part of how the sides would take their shape. I thought about how to fix this, and in the instructions they ran 3 and then began cutting the planks back, I had already ran 5 with no stress, the planks laid perfectly? Hmmmm

I jumped ahead and grabbed the side pieces laid them in place and scribed the planks 1-8, and realized if I kept pulling them and gluing them to each other they would hold the shape.

So with half the planking done, I needed a break from the glue.

16D562A8-84C8-4AC4-A853-AE3BE01F2D4D.jpeg

70E4E32B-BE59-41E9-8745-30FCE101CA5F.jpeg

54C054A9-81DC-44AE-B1CD-4D58975BC9EB.jpeg

I thought I had downloaded the instructions for her.........realized later that I had printed them.  your referring to fig.4........the curvature of the bow does look like the planks need to be tapered,  to get the contour of the hull sheer.  if your able to create the curvature,  as you have started it already,  then I don't think I'd worry about it.  looks pretty good so far  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the mahogany that is supplied in the kit will cover any boo boo's that show up.  now,  depending on the quality of your planking,  you may be able to side step that process.........sand it down,  add filler where needed,  and paint.   this depends greatly if you plan to do another sponsor,  rather than keep her as the Slo-Mo-shun.  there are some pretty neat looking race boats out there...as mentioned,  I wanted to do one as an M&M boat for the admiral,  but she shot me down {drat......}......different configurations too

1042050855_raceboat1.jpg.8acd32586e173e87fd5eddd088cccced.jpg    1642529780_raceboat2.jpg.7015049599d5bd3f6def49ab49cd1089.jpg

both of these sport somewhat of a mopar air intake......they have a cool look to them.   here's one with an exposed engine........

520250231_Hemipowered.jpg.9c7084d0784b93d603127edc660d1d99.jpg

the mahogany look is fairly common though........here's a Ferrari.....

1816053755_ARNOXI1953FerrariHydroplane.jpg.94bf4ff8f97ef6e0d805dfdacd294cee.jpg

this one is a kit........note the direction of the mahogany wood grain.   I get a lot of my ideas looking at images,  a good place for added detail.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I would love to build 10 of these, Miss Bergdoll, Miss Budweiser, Miss M&M, I would even love to modify it to the jet version, maybe even a Lamborghini, maybe in the future. For that matter all of the 1/8 scale Chris Crafts, even the PT boat with motors of course.

I have 2 spots where filler will be needed so far, and the other half is going great. 
I get tired of the glue, I’ve managed to do almost all of my gluing from the inside.

I do have some extra mahogany so my underneath will also be mahogany.

I love the Ferrari boat, that motor is expensive and very difficult to get. The F40 motor heavily modified could be adapted, would still look great, be Ferrari and only cost about $300.

I have 4 models that I want to build, I hope to post them all on this site.

Its great to get insight and advice, and of course reassurance for motivation and bigger and better ideas.

your tempting me you know ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So through a long week, I managed 1 plank at a time till the planking was completed, wish now I had used wood glue.

The planking went well, I had to taper 1 piece on the second side, not sure really why, after that piece they all ran perfectly straight.

I have a section that will need filled between boards #6 & 7, I fixed the dip under them so the parts will run without any extra work, if I don’t fill this I’m afraid I’ll sand that section to thin.

Next I think I’m going to take the orbital sander to it to cut it down without to much effort, then the block sander to make sure the corners remain square. 
So far the corners are square no issues there, and the opening along the center has been filled for all I need it to be, as the motor, cockpit and tail fin will cover the rest. This conveniently left all of my center marks perfectly visible.

I haven’t been through the rest of the instructions thoroughly enough, but I am left at this point with enough planking to do at least another half of the boat, this is a great thing, and I can’t see any reason to really need the planking, we’ll see.

6B0EA013-4C86-46D3-BD59-F35B969FA182.jpeg

C1838356-3BB7-499D-9D8D-A533EC3FCD10.jpeg

40263C68-3D3A-4D98-AA4B-CD9F1892BF5F.jpeg

95569370-CE6F-4E52-8234-0D28C8670A5E.jpeg

400EA711-D1B2-46EE-8133-FF0C037C87B9.jpeg

BDBE4FB2-2C03-4FB0-8D44-54B05444DA46.jpeg

I see you've already cut off the spine and tabs....now you can plank the bottom.  did you leave a little extra around the circumference at the bow?  you can get a more defined edge after the hull is closed up.  nice job on the planking :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The bottom gets plywood, I’ve been working on that, that’s going pretty good. That will get mahogany as well.

The sides get veneer covered with veneer, I’m going to put on the aluminum upgrades that Slomo 4 had.

I cut the tabs and the spine so I could get inside to build the framing for the floor and engine.

I did leave extra planking hanging out on the front as I wasn’t sure how the front closed if it came to a point, it looks like it does come to a point, and the shaping is done to the bottom.

I have to get the engine and the drivers compartment ready, the kit has a seat and that’s about all that’s in the compartment. I assume there’s a fuel shut off, and I have the gas pedal. I also picked up more gauges, I will look into making the glass for them and covering the dash with aluminum like the real boat.

Tomorrow is another day.

A bit of SLO MO SHUN IV trivia.  

The driver when she broke the 100mph speed record was a guy named Lou Fageol.  Originally from California, by the 1950’s he was president of Twin Coach Motor Company that manufactured buses.  Twin Coach was located in Kent, Ohio and he lived in a village nearby where I grew up.  He lived in a beautiful house just across the street from the swimming beach on a small lake.  An architectural feature of the house was a faux thatched roof built up with layers of wood.  Ironically, village rules prohibited motorized boats on the lake.

I don’t think that I ever met him and if I did I don’t remember.  What I do remember is that one day while I was at the beach swimming his house caught on fire.  My buddies and I had ring side seats as the wooden roof and the entire second story went up in flames.  The house was rebuilt, wooden roof and all and when I last visited the village in 2007 it looked just like I remembered.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve managed to get a bit done, I have sanded the hull, gotten the cockpit built, I then had to redo part of the hull to accommodate the fact that the boat was not scheduled to have a cockpit. I had a small issue with the clear coat I was using, I wanted a satin finish, I should have just used gloss, I’ve got it glued together and sanded enough for the gloss clear.

I worked on the front of the motor, I have the intake, super charger, carburetors, fuel pump and the distributors painted, I’ll leave them to dry over night and then prepare for attaching them, I should then have a good idea of the overall length of the engine.

I also have the transmission ready, I still need to make the output shaft, however I won’t know for sure what this will look like until the engine is mounted on the motor mounts.

79039BD9-BD1D-4B78-88B3-6D3A51F2AE5E.jpeg

9F6B6DA9-0B17-4EEC-821E-93FE3F913D94.jpeg

7842849B-1E7F-4B83-A261-427F4E24B383.jpeg

97721947-774D-439F-8701-3D30CF366EB4.jpeg

My weekly update.

My past week has been a lot of work and not much accomplished.

So this week I moved to the bottom of the boat, the first piece went well and gave me an idea of how correct the overall framing is.

I then learned that I needed to sand the front🤔 Looking back over the instructions and the hull, I realized that in step 2, once part #11 is glued and sometime between cutting off the jig and planking the top, there must be a line drawn on part #11 across the front showing the half way point. This line then represents the sanding mark, the top has to be sanded down to that line then the boat gets flipped over and the bottom gets sanded up to the line creating a point.

The front of the boat will be a point in the end.

Because I did not do this and ended up sanding from the bottom up I have left the boat 1/4 inches longer than it’s intended to be.

So I had to modify the front supports, which is done here, then I will brace them in place.

also because of this lack of sanding part #19 doesn’t fit. I sanded it until it was flush with the frames, leaving a gap that is about 3/32 of an inch.

I sorted this by cutting some cardboard and sanding it into place and once I had my template I remade the parts using a sheet of balsa wood.

I should have a complete template of this boat not counting the frame made out of cardboard soon.

149F9628-70BB-4F66-9901-B752DDC76535.jpeg

1C77AA01-291D-4F9E-B4F6-CA5FB0AEA40E.jpeg

92470E61-2A8E-4C9F-807B-C1B68647C4C0.jpeg

05A75DD0-91E1-4D08-8BF2-FEB52606FB13.jpeg

Edited by Blackreed

The overall bottom fit very well, and as you can see there is some places that can use a bit of filler.

The upside of the week had been a vision of the gas pedal I had while walking the dog 🐶, I like how the pedal turned out. Kind of like an airplane meets push and pull. I looked everywhere for pedals, I did find several but none I liked, even the 1/12 drag cars didn’t have stirrups. I’m sure that’s where I got the idea, mixed of course with the foot looking pedal I don’t have in stock.

C6B3030D-AA26-4288-9EC2-A217752772DC.jpeg

3D72DAFA-5E51-4E32-A27E-4F977F653A55.jpeg

17A5CABC-EF09-43B2-9EE6-9FA3938E59A7.jpeg

Edited by Blackreed

that's a quarter of an inch.......when the hull is fully assembled,  you would likely never notice ;)   it would just get sucked into the model.  in the years I've spent modeling,  there is a + and - to scale,  that you can get away with. .......just don't stray too far away from it.  one thing it will do though,  is translate to all the other involved parts.  luckily,  parts are a bit oversized and need to be fitted.....you can use this to an advantage.

the pedal looks really neat  :)   remind me of when I attempted to make foot stirrups for skis for the Phylly C.  you have to know the story about the Lobsie twins...it was a fun project.....and I came away with two models for the price of one :D   I did such a terrible job trying to make them,  that I turned the skis backwards so you couldn't see that I gave up on making the stirrups

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: