Saint Philippe 1693 by CRI-CRI - scale 1/72 - French warship from Lemineur monograph

As you are still in a conjectural planning/spitballing phase, I would like to chime-in on your proposed re-gammoning location.

From a timbering standpoint, running the gammoning above the trailboard creates a vulnerable weak spot that jeopardizes the bowsprit.

Also, it just wasn’t done, so the wrongness of its appearance, here, would look even more wrong than the gammoning soaking beneath the waterline.

It seems to me that, while you may have to re-think the timber joinery beneath the trailbord, there is ample space to locate the gammoning above the waterline, but below the lower cheek.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Your last edited photo with the gammoning going through the trailboard is even less structurally sound.

All I’m trying to advise, here, is that if you are going to go to the trouble of making something immensely complex, like the SP, then try to avoid glaringly wrong work arounds.

If it were me, I might redraw the timbering, so that the gammoning didn’t pierce at an awkward place below the lower cheek, and I would probably cheat the waterline down by a 1/16” - 1/8”.

It may not be exactly right, but it is more correct LOOKING than what Lemineur provides for.

I have the "choice" between an historic "probability of truth", and another approach, more "creative"

J-C Lemineur wrote to me that my proposition had existed, but later, then it would be an anachronism, that's also your point of view...

I shall take a moment of reflection before a definitive decision   😘

I posted a test message because your previous post - for which I received an email notification did not appear, when I went to your page.  No number of refreshes brought it to light.  So, I posted a test message to see whether the page would refresh that way.  Whatever you wrote this morning still isn’t visible to me.  I deleted the test message, though.

On 3/16/2021 at 4:19 PM, Hubac's Historian said:

[...] if it were me, I might redraw the timbering, so that the gammoning didn’t pierce at an awkward place below the lower cheek, and I would probably cheat the waterline down by a 1/16” - 1/8”.

It may not be exactly right, but it is more correct LOOKING than what Lemineur provides for [...]

Here I show you a redraw of plan using your recommendation, and water line cheated down 1/8" (around 3-4 mm) :

2023595691_TailleN.jpg.982dfb69cb83adac039a9f7d6dfb5fef.jpg

The ropes will be out of water, but with the decorative element hidden by

gamonning, without inconvenient, it's not an immortal masterpiece of Art  😋

Edited by CRI-CRI

As an alternative you could cheat:

Part 204 - chock piece  - seems the extend to the top of part 202B - upper head rail.
I would place the two gammoning slots in 204 - just above the upper head rail.

This would save having to move the LWL or hide the carving.

In real life, if the boatswain, I would probably try to place the gammoning where the carving is and adjust the pattern to include it.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

For reasons I point out in prior posts, doing so creates unnecessary weak points in the structure.  These ships were massive, with tremendous dynamic forces working against them all the time; the gammoning really needs to be secured by the heavy timbering of the cutwater.

Anyone, of course, is free to do as they wish.  However, if they want to represent authentic reality, then there are some rules of construction that shouldn’t be violated for the sake of aesthetics.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

These ships were massive, with tremendous dynamic forces working against them all the time; the gammoning really needs to be secured by the heavy timbering of the cutwater.

Here are two contemporary representations of artists who knew the ships.
Left: Grand Monarque by Puget
Right: Reine by van de Velde452240874_ReineGrandMonarqueAusschnitt.jpg.c05eeaa41dfbc3438d8d4cb5f8fe20fd.jpg

This will be awesome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 minute ago, CRI-CRI said:

First frame in position

Language differences aside, that is not a frame.  The usual name is "bulkhead".  It is not really a bulkhead either.  What it actually is = a "mold" or "mould"*.   From my time around microbiology, I prefer mould - even if the site spell checker does not. It also does not like a lot of other words we use, such as "futtock".

25 minutes ago, CRI-CRI said:

it will be a fat boy, miraculous

Imagine doing this at 1:48 as provided in the monograph?  

* Old Ben, Ben Lankford was the first the make a point of this back on Clay Feldman's listserver.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers