ASK Razor Saw holders (straight and asymmetric)
Artscale
See article for codes, links and prices

DSC_6480.jpg

I’m a sucker for nice tools, and one that is used most frequently in my arsenal is my trusty razor saw. I use this for all sorts of materials, including plastic, resin and now also wood. You sort of instinctively know when you need to get it from the tool rack, for those jobs where a knife would be too challenging, or cutters would be too destructive. They are great for making fine and precise cuts that remove an absolute bare minimum of material, unlike a regular saw. I also use mine to gently re-scribe any shallow and fine panel lines on plastic. Razor saws can be particularly good for that task and they don’t leave ridges of material behind like many regular scribers.

Artscale recently sent me their two new razor saw releases to see what I thought, and it provided a useful comparison to the brand I currently use. That latter brand is actually very good and has blades and mount which are made from photo-etch stainless steel. For a handle, the tool is mounted in a regular X-Acto style handle. 

Two slightly different razor saws have been sent for evaluation. These are:

Razor saw – Universal (200-T0020), €14,95

Razor saw – Asymmetric (200-T0021), €16.95

DSC_6481.jpg

DSC_6482.jpg

The ‘Universal’ style has a straight blade mounting system, whilst the ‘Asymmetric’ has an offset blade mount which is very useful for those awkward cuts, or for those where you want maximum visibility of the material being cut, without your own hand getting in the way.

DSC_6483.jpg

DSC_6485.jpg

The razor saws sent for evaluation are complete tools and need no third-party handle. Black ABS plastic is used for the handles on these, and the whole tool is nicely balanced in the hand as well as being comfortable when gripped. The blades are also more rigid than the brand I currently use whilst looking every bit as thin…exactly the remit of a razor saw. In fact, these blades are 0.12mm thick). Both of the supplied saws are fitted with the same blade (ultra-smooth and extra smooth asymmetric – two different tooth/pitch sizes). That single blade is also that is provided in each of the saw packs, with replacements and different types being available both individually or in multi-packs. 

DSC_6487.jpg

DSC_6488.jpg

DSC_6489.jpg

DSC_6504.jpg

Both saws have a beautifully designed system of blade change which also doubles up to provide reinforcement to the blade itself. It’s also a single-tool system for changing the blade too, with a hex-head key provided. There are two hex screws which drop through a reinforcement plate and the blade, before screwing into a threaded reinforcement plate on the rear. This is handy as my current brand requires a small wrench and a screwdriver to change the blade. The blade mounting holes are also central to the blade, meaning each cutting edge can be used without having to reposition the blade in the handle.

DSC_6490.jpg

DSC_6491.jpg

DSC_6492.jpg

DSC_6493.jpg

In use, the blade stays nicely straight without any awkward flexing, and it’s super sharp too. There is also a certain amount of freedom in positioning the blade in the tool, in case you want to set it to a certain depth of cut. 

Razor saw blades

Artscale also included packets of the blades they currently supply for use with their new razor saw. I have the individual packets, although you can buy these in multiples on their website.

Ultra-Smooth (symmetric) - €1,90

Ultra & Extra Smooth Radius (asymmetric) - €2,60

Extra Smooth (symmetric) - €1,90
Ultra & Extra Smooth - €1,90

DSC_6494.jpg

DSC_6495.jpg

DSC_6496.jpg

Conclusion
I’ve been after something to replace my current razor saw as the blades in that are way too easy to bend and buckle without the utmost care. Artscale’s new tools seem to answer that need perfectly, and the blade options are very useful too, depending on application. These new razor saws and very nicely made and feel right in the hand. They are also super sharp too! If you are in the market for a new razor saw, whether a replacement or your first, these would be a very good option to consider. 

Here’s the tool data sheet with more technical information for you.

ASK-Handle-saw-pdf.pdf

Sincere thanks to Artscale for sending these tools out for evaluation on MSW. To buy directly, click the links in the article.

logo.jpg

These look really good especially the offset blade model. Do you happen to know of a USA distributor? The shipping cost from Artscale to the USA is very expensive.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, BobG said:

These look really good especially the offset blade model. Do you happen to know of a USA distributor? The shipping cost from Artscale to the USA is very expensive.

I have asked about this for you. Maybe there is an answer.

11 hours ago, Tony Hunt said:

Thanks James, they look really good.

Easy to waste a couple of hours browsing around their website, too! 😀

...and there will be new profile blades released in the near future too. I'll add those when they arrive. I know what you mean about their website. They have some really wonderful stuff. You can also pick up your fix of coffee while there too 😜

RB Productions, or Scalemates, have similar saws for sale, which I think are a bit cheaper. Their site also has lots of interesting modelling tools. I have used this type of saw for a five years now and it really is very useful.

The saws and holders are at https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rb-productions-rb-t013-saw-blade-holder--675096

They also have an interesting nano saw set at https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rb-productions-rb-t038-nano-saw-set--675092

Their general site is at https://www.scalemates.com/brands/rb-productions--691

Tony

23 minutes ago, tkay11 said:

RB Productions, or Scalemates, have similar saws for sale, which I think are a bit cheaper. Their site also has lots of interesting modelling tools. I have used this type of saw for a five years now and it really is very useful.

The saws and holders are at https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rb-productions-rb-t013-saw-blade-holder--675096

They also have an interesting nano saw set at https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rb-productions-rb-t038-nano-saw-set--675092

Their general site is at https://www.scalemates.com/brands/rb-productions--691

Tony

That's actually the one I currently use. I do find them very easy to twist and buckle. Screwed a few up over the years with that. They also seem to blunt fairly quickly when just cutting resin etc.

@BobG, Ive gotten a very similar tool from Micromark or maybe Model Expo, along with a cutting guide rail that works extremely well.  These are great saws, I have no doubt the ones featured here are just as good.  But if you are looking for something stateside you might one of these: https://www.micromark.com/Ultra-Fine-Saw-Blade-pack-of-5?gclid=Cj0KCQiApsiBBhCKARIsAN8o_4hyFJsrsKjKG9Q9xck8HO-7mAdTR8jmgSkTWpzvVOs8xPeo5ciWUaMaAiLZEALw_wcB

Edited by Justin P.

Here in the US, UMM-USA have some similar products. http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

I don't want to seem disrespectful guys, but articles would be no good if everyone just posted links to alternative items.

This review focuses on the merits/demerits of the Artscale razor saw.

Can we focus on that please?

If we just have a free for all, then we are less likely to see companies want to have their releases checked over here.

8 hours ago, James H said:

This review focuses on the merits/demerits of the Artscale razor saw.

Apologies.   For those in the US, perhaps one demerit would be the cost of shipping/availability in that market.    I thought it might be appropriate to to suggest alternative options or similar products available in their own region.    I don’t mind you want to remove my earlier post.  

Edited by Justin P.

41 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

Apologies.   For those in the US, perhaps one demerit would be the cost of shipping/availability in that market.    I thought it might be appropriate to to suggest alternative options or similar products available in their own region.    I don’t mind you want to remove my earlier post.  

No worries. I'm still waiting from Artscale regarding my query on American distribution.

• 3 months later...

Artscale have now released some new blades for their razor saw, and these should prove very useful.

DSC02163.jpg

Got to love the one called 'BATMAN'! 😆 I can't imagine why it's called that!

These will be perfect for cutting around circular materials, or even adding panel lines too. The 'OCTOPUS' is perfect for swiping cuts with the shape of the longer edge, whilst the underside presents all sorts of possibilities. If you have the saw, then these are worth getting, and if you don't these are a perfect excuse to go shop one.

DSC02164.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello Glen,

These people are good to deal with:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?search=artscale&per_page=25&product_type_id=3023&search_direction=asc&phonetic=true

... and they have other stuff too.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 10 months later...