HMS Warspite by Lt. Biggles - FINISHED - Academy - 1/350 - Plastic - MK1 detail up set

So decided end the hull weathering there and once all complete can do any changes I want... which means! Started on the wooden deck!

8E39D07D-69E4-458C-8879-9E21D6CDAD83.thumb.jpeg.8d60fb65c0f200e5d6ecc03fb7b3d1cc.jpeg

I painted over the sticky side with gel medium and then painted the deck with gel medium and stuck it down that way rather than use the adhesive that it comes with. 
Apparently it’s got a better stick and also had a tiny bit more give for sliding it into the best place.

C0159744-DDB9-49CB-B1F4-8FA9D623BB83.thumb.jpeg.9fc79a321d3ebbf1a591f2a0a8f14ee7.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Lt. Biggles said:

It would be really inconvenient if GPS isn’t available for navigation! Back to VORs and NDBs 🤣 but probably a high chance one day it may have to happen! 
Did you fly single pilot with celestial navigation? Surly it would be a full time job itself?

I hear them (commercial aircraft)  still using way points  for thier routings  but guess these are programed into their GPS units these days.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

You have done an excellent job with the deck  - I actually considered doing the same as you have done  - as I read some reports in some cases of the glue under the peel off  sometimes lifting and un gluing slightly  (it happened to me in a few areas with mine).

Looking really nice mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I hear them (commercial aircraft)  still using way points  for thier routings  but guess these are programed into their GPS units these days.

OC.

Yea way points are used everywhere if you don’t have GPS can still track a way point route by using radials from a ground beacon and distance equipment. But GPS is so much easier than the other type, its really just used as a back up system. Well that’s how it is here in NZ and I’m sure we are still 30 years behind the rest of the world haha

9 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

You have done an excellent job with the deck  - I actually considered doing the same as you have done  - as I read some reports in some cases of the glue under the peel off  sometimes lifting and un gluing slightly  (it happened to me in a few areas with mine).

Looking really nice mate.

OC.

I’m going to experiment with the next half and compare. You want a good bond as a lifting deck would just be a pain! 

I have a portable radio scanner  - got a few of my local frequencies dialed in  - so I get familer with the local waypoints  gives me a good indication if a certain plane is going to come close to me  for my  spotting/photography.

On my lens mate  - the lens is a 300.. prime  its the Nikon 300 PF lens   I have a  1.4  X   convertor  attached  giving me a combined length of 420mm   quite good for planes on airways  with a bit of cropping.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, Lt. Biggles said:

I’m going to experiment with the next half and compare. You want a good bond as a lifting deck would just be a pain! 

Indeed mate  - mine lifted from the glue under the peel back  strip  - in a few areas,   I had to apply some force and use heat of a hairdryer to get it to stick back down, seamed to be around obstructions that was the worst.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Lt. Biggles said:

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Indeed mate  - mine lifted from the glue under the peel back  strip  - in a few areas,   I had to apply some force and use heat of a hairdryer to get it to stick back down, seamed to be around obstructions that was the worst.

OC.

There are several build reports of using peel and stick decks lifting up even before the model was finished....

The solution was 3M Permanent spray adhesive, a similar bond to contact cement, (will destroy the wood getting it off) without the nasty smell or melting plastic.... And from what I read, it goes down thin and right over the sometimes weak or incomplete coverage factory glue.... 

I would test on surfaces first though, this is one I've never done myself...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

5 hours ago, Lt. Biggles said:

I painted over the sticky side with gel medium and then painted the deck with gel medium and stuck it down that way rather than use the adhesive that it comes with. 
Apparently it’s got a better stick and also had a tiny bit more give for sliding it into the best place.

I just hope the medium dries completely, it should, but I never trusted acrylics in an enclosed covered place to cure completely....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

No, when I flew Phantoms, I only used celestial to bamboozle the front seater with star stuff. When I did my "penance" tour in the Stratotanker, I did all the calculations at my station/desk and had the boom operator actually doing the shots. We used a periscopic sextant with a bubble level to determine horizontal. It had filters a welder could use to take Sun shots. We had two pilots up front keeping us straight and level for the duration of each shot, about 2 minutes each, as I remember. Every so often, I do a shot, just to keep in practice. Nowadays, I just stargaze on clear nights.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I have a portable radio scanner  - got a few of my local frequencies dialed in  - so I get familer with the local waypoints  gives me a good indication if a certain plane is going to come close to me  for my  spotting/photography.

On my lens mate  - the lens is a 300.. prime  its the Nikon 300 PF lens   I have a  1.4  X   convertor  attached  giving me a combined length of 420mm   quite good for planes on airways  with a bit of cropping.

OC.

Bet that set up give crisp pics! Do you have the IFR nav planning maps so you know where each of the waypoints are?

17 hours ago, Egilman said:

There are several build reports of using peel and stick decks lifting up even before the model was finished....

The solution was 3M Permanent spray adhesive, a similar bond to contact cement, (will destroy the wood getting it off) without the nasty smell or melting plastic.... And from what I read, it goes down thin and right over the sometimes weak or incomplete coverage factory glue.... 

I would test on surfaces first though, this is one I've never done myself...

The glue on this one seems sticky but will test it. The nose part is all in one big long one so might have to split it up somewhere secretly as the dry fitting seems to show it looses alignment at each end. So far I’ve not had an issue with the medium not drying but the deck is thin and many of the plank lines are right through so heaps of little gaps. My trouble is the medium dries too fast! Have to use thin layers otherwise it all squirts out at the edges and have an annoying clean.

8 hours ago, Canute said:

No, when I flew Phantoms, I only used celestial to bamboozle the front seater with star stuff. When I did my "penance" tour in the Stratotanker, I did all the calculations at my station/desk and had the boom operator actually doing the shots. We used a periscopic sextant with a bubble level to determine horizontal. It had filters a welder could use to take Sun shots. We had two pilots up front keeping us straight and level for the duration of each shot, about 2 minutes each, as I remember. Every so often, I do a shot, just to keep in practice. Nowadays, I just stargaze on clear nights.

sounds like a fun story hidden behind that word “penance” haha!!

the F4 seems like a fun jet to fly!!

I have memorised some of the  reporting points near to me  but I also use aircraft apps  like  - 

https://www.adsbexchange.com/

https://planefinder.net/

They are great for tracking aircraft.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

After 20 years and 4K hours in a fast jet, both in combat and training and being a weapons school instructor, I had to pay the piper for all that fun. My Air Guard fighter unit was converted to KC-135s, along with 3-4 others, right after Desert Storm. The mission wasn't glamorous, but I did get back to Germany a number of times. Also went to Tuscany, Italy, Scotland and Spain overseas. Did a couple of trips to Alaska (in the summer) and one to Edwards AFB. If you're an aircraft fan, it was a great trip.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

On 3/21/2021 at 1:48 PM, Canute said:

After 20 years and 4K hours in a fast jet, both in combat and training and being a weapons school instructor, I had to pay the piper for all that fun. My Air Guard fighter unit was converted to KC-135s, along with 3-4 others, right after Desert Storm. The mission wasn't glamorous, but I did get back to Germany a number of times. Also went to Tuscany, Italy, Scotland and Spain overseas. Did a couple of trips to Alaska (in the summer) and one to Edwards AFB. If you're an aircraft fan, it was a great trip.

Favourite plane you ever flew?

Rest of the wood deck went on.

69619234-B874-491B-8BC0-55C4AE0604A8.thumb.jpeg.358524772b6c47ba3bb2509d0c82f62c.jpeg

Stuck straight down with its own stickiness. 

C7D9EA61-EB14-4458-B90D-6BED4BCAF2F4.thumb.jpeg.d886017ab04d33ab1ff93ecc01cdb8a3.jpeg

In order to get the very front long one to match up I cut it very sneakily otherwise the middle part didn’t want to stick down. So all sitting flat and in the right place. Will give it some time to see how much of it will lift.

3426A5FD-93F3-4697-BE83-4ECDA89EEE35.thumb.jpeg.9dba998ebc06731debab61de5627662c.jpeg

having the deck on really changes how it looks.

That is Brilliant work mate  - she is looking superb,    let me take a guess where you  cut the front part of the deck  -  where the front breakwater  goes?    that would be the same place I cut mine at for the same reason.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

12 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is Brilliant work mate  - she is looking superb,    let me take a guess where you  cut the front part of the deck  -  where the front breakwater  goes?    that would be the same place I cut mine at for the same reason.

OC.

I searched a way to cut as small amount as I could. And found this spot where I could cut with the plank direction. Ended up doing it here where I assume are armoured handrails.

43FCB743-0A47-4067-A2F9-568CF2679D7A.thumb.jpeg.d3fab39b89ae95ccdcb265747765f13d.jpeg

Everything doesn’t quite line up in one big sheet unfortunately.

Very clever  mate  - tell you what if you hadn't pointed  then out  one could not tell   - what a great place to hide them, that is looking so sweet mate  -  take it easy with the PE  sections for the  bulwark side piece  infront and around the 4.5in  guns  as they are so  delicate  - they do look superb when done though.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, Lt. Biggles said:

Favourite plane you ever flew?

Hands down the F4E. I flew C/D/RF models, too. Actually preferred the pre-slat version, since they added drag and weight in order to get one decent turn.

I like the way you've cut up the aftermarket deck to fit in so well. Nicely done. Will you tone it down with washes/pigments/color pencils?

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Very clever  mate  - tell you what if you hadn't pointed  then out  one could not tell   - what a great place to hide them, that is looking so sweet mate  -  take it easy with the PE  sections for the  bulwark side piece  infront and around the 4.5in  guns  as they are so  delicate  - they do look superb when done though.

OC.

When I get to that part I’ll take extra care mate, thanks. I’ve been abit slack lately haha!

On 3/23/2021 at 1:30 AM, Canute said:

Hands down the F4E. I flew C/D/RF models, too. Actually preferred the pre-slat version, since they added drag and weight in order to get one decent turn.

I like the way you've cut up the aftermarket deck to fit in so well. Nicely done. Will you tone it down with washes/pigments/color pencils?

I think I’ll have to tone the nice shiny new deck down. Will see if it fades on its own too. Think a very runny light grey wash airbrush misted on will work great.

Have let the deck dry over a good few days, the parts that were glued down just using it’s own stick got quite a few lifts so is now probably 60% glued down with the gel medium. So if there is ever a next time I’ll definitely use gel medium or at least something to really stick it down as the stock glue doesn’t give a good bond even with the surface nicely prepared for it. 

I’ve not had much time so maybe the build will slow down alittle now, but have done some work on the anchor area.

95A1F499-706A-4A22-82F7-EFA8A31F729F.thumb.jpeg.23c3828b34ad7c8baa725efe9029df4c.jpeg

F60FE795-90F6-4F0E-9DA8-A948C6BE5C5A.thumb.jpeg.3335e864f5e503ef32d12ca3d2859aa8.jpeg

16731B7E-1483-4130-94B0-218226328D78.thumb.jpeg.92ae4f6298db4f70dc2c6fef5744cd62.jpeg

The kit seems to only want 2 chains to be on it, even though it provides 3. I’ve checked heaps of pics and can see all 3 chains on her. But the kit doesn’t have a opening for one of the chains to go below deck to storage. So might have to make one to try match the other two. Otherwise I’ll have the chain going from the anchor and then ending by just sitting on the deck which makes no sense.

Yep I agree  I think there should be Three  chain deck entrance  tubes going through the deck  - hope this pic helps to show it location  its from that draftsman builders model of her  that is considered very accurate.

OC.

10012014135_zpsf45de2af.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Yep I agree  I think there should be Three  chain deck entrance  tubes going through the deck  - hope this pic helps to show it location  its from that draftsman builders model of her  that is considered very accurate.

OC.

10012014135_zpsf45de2af.jpg

Yes that’s great thanks. I’m still just pondering how to attach the chain. Might drill a hole and feed it through otherwise it will not look right just glued to the outside

On 4/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, Old Collingwood said:

hope this pic helps to show it location  its from that draftsman builders model of her  that is considered very accurate.

That deck is in desperate need of a holystoning....

Quote:

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been super slack at the moment. But generally doesn’t take too long of a break to get back into it. Been spending more of my time doing Astrophotography and will have to knuckle down and keep going with the ship soon... it’s a hobby after all!

I did add some more details to the deck, just got to get into the PE mindset and get the superstructure underway. 

24FD2396-BB94-4BA5-ABBD-8F5B5EC20F2A.thumb.jpeg.4171c9d81ef088db4e0cbb675b4be28c.jpeg

275BF2C2-62FA-4195-AED7-FBC0182ED8B8.thumb.jpeg.45d60cc790866e6e87bf32086c8bf4ed.jpeg

will blend them in once the rest of the deck furniture is complete too. The wood deck is glued well and I’m happy with the hull so it’s been fun.

here are some of my Astro shots I’ve been taking and distracting me from my build haha!

217F1F2C-304D-4E02-82A1-8E5D4E9FC48D.thumb.jpeg.74bf87bb27259e3d057fbd2a647c17bf.jpeg

9B22DBAC-D694-4843-A8F1-F769C7A41545.thumb.jpeg.e3ed229f339820a361154f3a5ddbfaa0.jpeg

I shall be back into the ship building in the next little while though 

41 minutes ago, Lt. Biggles said:

I’ve been super slack at the moment. But generally doesn’t take too long of a break to get back into it. Been spending more of my time doing Astrophotography and will have to knuckle down and keep going with the ship soon... it’s a hobby after all!

I did add some more details to the deck, just got to get into the PE mindset and get the superstructure underway. 

24FD2396-BB94-4BA5-ABBD-8F5B5EC20F2A.thumb.jpeg.4171c9d81ef088db4e0cbb675b4be28c.jpeg

275BF2C2-62FA-4195-AED7-FBC0182ED8B8.thumb.jpeg.45d60cc790866e6e87bf32086c8bf4ed.jpeg

will blend them in once the rest of the deck furniture is complete too. The wood deck is glued well and I’m happy with the hull so it’s been fun.

here are some of my Astro shots I’ve been taking and distracting me from my build haha!

217F1F2C-304D-4E02-82A1-8E5D4E9FC48D.thumb.jpeg.74bf87bb27259e3d057fbd2a647c17bf.jpeg

9B22DBAC-D694-4843-A8F1-F769C7A41545.thumb.jpeg.e3ed229f339820a361154f3a5ddbfaa0.jpeg

I shall be back into the ship building in the next little while though 

Fantastic astro shots mate  - and Warspite is coming along nicely also, one astro photographer once told me - once you get hooked into it in a big way  - you will have no money left, he showed me his rig  Big  Telescopes on mounts connected to laptops   all outside in speacial made  hides.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice photographs from both hobbies.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Very cool galaxies and nebula shots. And your Warspite is coming along nicely.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, it’s been awhile!

But had some time and in the right frame of mind to do some work on her.
Started working on some of the super structure.

B9336915-ABB8-42A7-BC78-A0E14EBDC182.thumb.jpeg.731931b8b8ee27e27015948bd9d6e9aa.jpeg

Took only alittle bit to get back into the swing of things. Glad I’ve already done a ships PE set otherwise I’d not have a clue how things went together! They sure don’t make it easy! Haha

A77A0776-A060-4456-A11A-D7DB91732E90.thumb.jpeg.f26e797e3d91460592758722676f3659.jpeg

The ships Woden deck only needed re glueing in 3 places where it had bubbled up so was quite pleased.

5653F8ED-1577-4425-8EB6-335F80FEE366.thumb.jpeg.af2bd1ab3d37a185aa161559590f2ae6.jpeg

189EF0A4-182F-46A1-B2A2-D66D223ED08A.thumb.jpeg.aa5500faf8008f48f5d3d9fb499df400.jpeg

The CA glue is new as my last lot got way too thick over the summer so it’s now stored in the vegetable fridge but it’s so thin I really struggled to get anything on my glue device (a thinned out tooth pick) so took awhile and lots of re glueing happened!

DD980BF6-55FE-4CAB-BF9E-3461F49AE9C5.jpeg

Welcome back mate   - great seeing your progress.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.