stacking the hammocks-- HMS Vangaurd

Hi

I am just fitting the hammock netting to my HMS Vanguard build… I want to add the hammocks.. are they stacked vertically in the small nets? What about the large double nets that run parallel to the boats?

I couldn't find a build that had done it--- so couldn't steal-- I mean be inspired by someone elses work :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Hi Ian 

I found this on portandterminal.com.

Sailors differentiated between hammocks and bedding. Hammocks were the canvas slings that cradled the bedding, which consisted of mattress, sheets, blankets, and pillow. On Royal Navy vessels, sailors could buy bedding for which they paid through deductions in pay. 

Detail from A sailor bringing up his hammock, Pallas, Gabriel Bray, 1774, National Maritime Museum Detail from A sailor bringing up his hammock, Pallas,
Gabriel Bray, 1774, National Maritime Museum

Sleeping arrangements were cramped as the diagram below from 1775 shows. According to various accounts, regular sailors were allocated about 14 inches per man for their hammock. There was a numbered pegging system so each man knew where to hang is hammock each night.

Disposition of his Majesty's Ship the Bedfords Lower Deck, artist unknown, circa 1775, Disposition of his Majesty’s Ship the Bedfords Lower Deck, artist unknown,
circa 1775,* 
National Maritime Museum.

Each morning hammocks would be taken down, sewn up and stowed away topside where they were put in special netting at the side of the ship to act as protection from musket balls under enemy fire.

model of a 19th-century ship shows how the crew's hammocks would be rolled up and placed topside where they would air and could be used as protection from musket fire. This model of a 19th-century ship shows how the crew’s hammocks would be rolled up and placed topside where they would air and could be used as protection from musket fire.

I also remember seeing a demonstration on tying up and folding the hammocks. They were similar to the pic above but were folded in half after being tied then stored vertically in the nets. I just can’t find the text or pictures yet. 

Tom

Just found this post on MSW. This should help. 

Tom

Hammocks, cranes and covers

5 hours ago, toms10 said:

Just found this post on MSW. This should help. 

Tom

Hammocks, cranes and covers

Hi, sorry there is no link :(  

Thanks for the pictures, very interesting how they seem so large laid out on deck like that. I worked out roughly how big a real one would be--rolled it up and tied it around--- looks OK,,I 161611973_hammocks.thumb.jpg.0003519db0592041e297ae0e5fdb36bf.jpgam sure someone knows better

Hi Ian

like you I am sure someone knows better than I.  I believe they were rolled th long way and the folded in half and the stored in the netting with the folding top. I remember seeing a picture of this. It was a demo on hammock making maybe here on MSW. 

I remember printing it out because I would also like to include them on my ship. When I get home I will try to locate the picture. 

Tom

Ian,

The first link is the earlier post I mentioned.  The second link has the picture I was trying to locate.  It is an excellent rendition of hammocks stored in the cranes and netting.  I believe the pics start on page 17.

Hope it helps.

Tom

tried some rolled long ways and folded? which looks best--tempted to do long ways-- not so many to make lol

hammocks 2 .jpg

Just to add a bit more light on the subject, in 1746 the master of  HMS Lys (1745), a 24-gun sixth-rate vessel, sent this request: 

"Captain Thomas Knowler, the Lys, Sheerness. Request to have grating tops made and as the hammocks are not sufficient to barracade the netting on each side, asks for bags filled with oakum."

The source is a file in the The national archives UK ref ADM 106/1030/301 dated September 15 1746. Perhaps a ship of your size would have sufficient hammocks but clearly this smaller craft did not.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold