English flag

Helli

35 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Helli, that's the flag of a vice admiral.

What time frame?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Good Evening Helli;

If you need to know more about flags used at sea, there is an excellent book by Timothy Wilson 'Flags at Sea', which gives a good history of them and is illustrated with many plates and drawings, some in colour.

The flag shown seems to have been in use from the later part of the 19th century

All the best,

Mark 

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Huge topic Helli!!!   Maybe a bit less daunting if you choose a time period and nationality to work on for a start.  For me personally, researching a vessel is as much fun as the build so I look for projects in which I can find a few ships for which I can find a list of their captains, voyages, battles if military, original contracts if built in a private shipyard, and so forth.   When Wayne Kempson and I worked on the Euryalus books, we wound up with about 30 pages in the first volume on her history from her build at Buckler's Hard, to her master's log while at Trafalgar, to her  proposed duel with an American ship during the War of 1812, to her time as a prison hulk for boys.   We even found a series of letters sent from one of her officers to his family while he was aboard and a note from Nelson to the Euryalus' captain at that time.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

They are still used today as a command flag for officers of flag rank and for Commodores.  As shown above, the flag for a Vice Admiral is reversed as the red spot (or 'ball') should be on the same side as the hoist.  A Rear Admiral would have an additional ball in the quadrant below below, and an Admiral would have none (!).  A Commodore would have a broad pennant (meaning 2 points) of the same design as above with a single ball.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

2 hours ago, Mark P said:

Good Evening Helli;

If you need to know more about flags used at sea, there is an excellent book by Timothy Wilson 'Flags at Sea', which gives a good history of them and is illustrated with many plates and drawings, some in colour.

This comment made me think of Sheldon's "Fun With Flags" blog on "The Big Bang Theory". What a great show that was.