U.S. Shipping Board Design #1001: "Ferris" Troop Ship ca. 1918-1919 by Harvey Golden

I agree, this is a fine little ship. You've inspired me to purchase the book about the Ferris wooden cargo ships and it's been an interesting read. Your copy of the book appears to have much clearer lines drawings and offsets than mine, though, which I think is a photocopy of the original! I love the overall look and feel of your model.

Quite some progress Harvey. She is lookin better and better. I hope your wife doesn't make you keep it in the driveway!:(:D:P

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Oops. I finished.   I think, anyways.  First time building a ship with ratlines, though simple and mercifully few, as they were.  Van Gaasbeek's book was a wonderful source, though when you really get into it, one is still left with many questions. Never mind reading the plans. . . I searched the internet for hours trying to find out what an "MF Vent" was before realizing it was just a bad imprint of "MR VENT" or Mushroom Vent.  (I sure came up with what MF stood for on my own.)   If anyone wants mirrored-sections (in a .docx file) or any other 'stuff' I drew up for the project, let me know.   Below are photos; I'll probably post a few on-the-water pics in the Gallery next time I get down to the river.  Thanks all for following along. 

Best, 

Harvey

IMG_2286.jpeg.d3d4a937e382c8100d48e57f98cf89a0.jpeg

IMG_2288.jpeg.3ef2a201126cf75068e8efa859b9ce26.jpeg

IMG_2289.jpeg.7d9141702288a8d4d3b71c7dce9a2694.jpeg

IMG_2287.jpeg.a793705b4f68118aba6b6dc868e7de21.jpeg

IMG_2290.thumb.jpeg.3b9b98f9dffb75a92efe5aadc2396562.jpeg

Great build of a classic but seldom modeled design Harvey. I enjoyed following along. I know I will be back again when I build my Lindburg Q ship to look in and see how the real thing is built. Seeing her in the water will also be a plus. Hope you are able to do it soon.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

Not sure about the red light in the wheelhouse - is that an American thing?

Dear John, 

It might not be period-correct-- I've not been able to determine this.  Otherwise, not an uncommon color of lighting for nighttime navigation, at least since the 40s.  The auto-exposure on my camera sure makes it brighter than it should be.

Best, 

Harvey

The use of red light was believe it or not classified information developed in WWII by the US. In order to cover some of the research the fable about carrots helping vision was widely spread.

I believe the Germans had much the same idea except they used blue lights to help against night blindness. 

I have no idea if this is verified or not but I know I did read it somewhere when I was reading something else. Kind of like looking up a word in the dictionary and getting hopelessly sidetracked by all of the other interesting words you see getting there!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 5 months later...

Harvey, What an absolutely gorgeous model! I just ran across it while browsing because I'm not a regular member.

I wish you had been in contact with me earlier, because the camouflage patterns have some minor discrepancies.

I posted the relevant pages from my book The Easter Egg Fleet that cover the patterns used on both Banago and Calala on the Warship Camouflage group site because I can't post photos here. I hope you'll look at them.

Black and white photos are hard to interpret, and colors on computers and in print aren't always exact either.

The model is still superb.

Aryeh Wetherhorn

Elazar, Israel

On 10/7/2021 at 11:51 PM, awetherhorn said:

Harvey, What an absolutely gorgeous model! I just ran across it while browsing because I'm not a regular member.

I wish you had been in contact with me earlier, because the camouflage patterns have some minor discrepancies.

I posted the relevant pages from my book The Easter Egg Fleet that cover the patterns used on both Banago and Calala on the Warship Camouflage group site because I can't post photos here. I hope you'll look at them.

Black and white photos are hard to interpret, and colors on computers and in print aren't always exact either.

The model is still superb.

Aryeh Wetherhorn

Elazar, Israel

Dear Aryeh,  Thank you for the kind comments and direction towards a good source on camouflage for ships of this period-  I've just ordered your book!  Yes, I had a lot of trouble with the patterns and colors for reasons you mention.  I don't recall my source on the particular shades, but I think period paintings of ships were helpful, though undoubtedly a little misleading. Looking forward to reading your book-- all the best, Harvey

• 7 months later...

It's highly likely that the wreck at Catepillar Island is the Abdera (USSB Hull no. 2274), built at Grant Smith-Porter in Aberdeen, Washington. Cancelled 1919 Mar. 25, she was later purchased by Monarch Shipbuilding for completion as a schooner, but that did not happen. The last notation of her was that her incomplete hull was renamed "Swan Island" and beached at Sauvies Island as a billboard.

https://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn83025138/1920-06-04/ed-1/seq-22/

On 5/23/2022 at 2:59 AM, Erlbon said:

It's highly likely that the wreck at Catepillar Island is the Abdera (USSB Hull no. 2274), built at Grant Smith-Porter in Aberdeen, Washington. Cancelled 1919 Mar. 25, she was later purchased by Monarch Shipbuilding for completion as a schooner, but that did not happen. The last notation of her was that her incomplete hull was renamed "Swan Island" and beached at Sauvies Island as a billboard.

https://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn83025138/1920-06-04/ed-1/seq-22/

Thank you!  That is very interesting.  I think there had been a similar derelict across the Columbia from Caterpillar Island (on Sauvies Island), but it could have been pieces of the Cat. Island one (I recall seeing the pieces/wreck about 20 years ago).  There's still a few out there, though several have been removed in the last twenty years.