Need help finding proper fittings

Go to solution Solved by Roger Pellett,

Greetings all,

I'm new here and, for the moment, am working on nothing with sails or cannon! Sorry...I hope that will come! For now, I'm doing a 1/32 scale diorama of a Sopwith Camel and H.3 Lighter, as used by the British in WWI. The plane is from a kit but everything else is being scratch built. 

At the moment, I'm working on the mast and boom which were used to retrieved the Camel after ditching. I'd like to find some really crisp blocks, shackles and the other sort of fittings seen in the pictures here. I've been through the ModelExpo site but, frankly, as a rookie, find myself getting lost. Perhaps one of the old hands here would be willing to make some suggestions.

The blocks I'd need would be about 4mm, Double and Single, along with shackles of suitable size. Also, whatever sort of fittings might connect the boom to the mast in a situation such as this. It seems to be a fixed connection, as opposed to something that would ride up and down the mast.59629192_19-b99d034de8a9204f4e3b3269eeefd603(2).jpg.a26b0a6a6524f80e1e9e50a5ef5dcab0.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

image.thumb.png.46e799ba3ab69629a997bff55d74503c.png

MichaelIMG_7851.thumb.jpeg.5c367d09ada4cee80d15c94441b00877.jpeg4.thumb.JPG.bda4dd5d2b5d7b2b6d957aa41ccfc446.JPG

You may have to hand-make the shackles with wire and such, but Syren may have some blocks that would work..

There are several sizes of these types of blocks..

Internally Strapped

There are several build logs where members are making detailed metal work..  

Here is a good place to start..  Build logs for subjects built 1901 - Present Day

Meanwhile I will be looking for some links for you..

Cornwall Model Boats has a lot of these types of fittings, but searching for them may take some maneuvering.

Here is my search for shackles

But other words might produce results for other fittings..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

P.S.

A lot of metal rigging work in here too:

Build logs for subjects built 1851 - 1900

—MICHAEL ROSE

• Solution

The lighter appears to be rigged with a combination of metal and wooden blocks; metal for the wire rope lifting the plane itself and wooden controlling the boom doing the lifting.  

The wooden blocks are not those sold by most model ship fitting suppliers. They are internally stropped.  The typical blocks that Syren furnishes are the older pattern  blocks intended for external rope strops but they do offer laser cut kits that can be assembled into the internally stropped blocks that you require.

Bluejacket offers metal blocks.  These are castings.

There are also posts on this forum that describe making both metal and internally stropped wooden blocks.  Do some browsing on the scratch built build logs, 1900 and later.  Judging from the workmanship displayed by you so far, you might want to try making your own.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

2 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

The typical blocks that Syren furnishes are the older pattern  blocks intended for external rope strops but the do offer laser cut kits that can be assembled into the internally stropped blocks that you require.

I provided a link to Syren's internally stropped blocks.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Gregory and Roger,

Thank you both for these very helpful responses. I knew this was a group I could count on. 

I've just ordered some from Syren and will take a long look at the other builds that you suggest here. I'm definitely game to make my own.

Roger, thanks for pointing out the metal line and block, which I didn't recognize, as such.  My father, Capt. USN, 1935-64, would be mortified!

OK! I am really encouraged by this info, and the group. I have Syren's Longboat kit and plan to start on it as soon as this book has gone to the publisher.

Many thanks!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Welcome to MSW, Michael.  We're not just about tall ships here.   Feel free to open a log in the scratch area for this model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)