Ship hull drawings to 3d

Hello, Rubkvi, and welcome to MSW!

The short answer to your question is No, there is no shortcut, automatic way accessible to the average ship modeller to convert scanned 2D drawings to a 3D digital model. Essentially, one must import a good-quality set of plans into a 3D CAD program such as FreeCAD, DELFTship, Blender, or one of the others mentioned in the posts in this CAD forum. Then you build the model in the program.

You should read through the topics in this forum to understand why this is the case. Just accurately digitizing scanned prints can be a laborious process, even with the best CAD software.

Feel free to ask about the pros and cons of the various methods. This is a very helpful and knowledgeable community!

Terry

On 2/24/2021 at 3:33 PM, CDR_Ret said:

Hello, Rubkvi, and welcome to MSW!

The short answer to your question is No, there is no shortcut, automatic way accessible to the average ship modeller to convert scanned 2D drawings to a 3D digital model. Essentially, one must import a good-quality set of plans into a 3D CAD program such as FreeCAD, DELFTship, Blender, or one of the others mentioned in the posts in this CAD forum. Then you build the model in the program.

You should read through the topics in this forum to understand why this is the case. Just accurately digitizing scanned prints can be a laborious process, even with the best CAD software.

Feel free to ask about the pros and cons of the various methods. This is a very helpful and knowledgeable community!

Terry

Hi, Thank you for answering. I have plans to build an offshore vessel from line drawings and 3d print the hull. What CAD software do you reccomend for 3d modeling ship hull. And do you know some good tutoriols for that? 

On 2/25/2021 at 12:49 PM, Rubkvi said:

What CAD software do you recommend for 3d modeling ship hull. And do you know some good tutoriols for that? 

I have attempted 3D hull modeling in Trimble's Sketchup. Several members have attempted using the open-source Blender as well as Fusion 360. You can read about their projects here in this CAD and 3D Modelling/Drafting Plans with Software forum. My preference has been DELFTship Free, a for-the-purpose naval architecture program that offers a free version for modelers and backyard boat builders. The company offers a manual that would be good to go through before getting too far into using the program. While the user interface is improving, the actual work in the program can be difficult to pick up until you get to know it or have some guidance. However, that is even more true for the other programs I mentioned. Only DELFTship is configured for ship modeling. It also has the ability of exporting files to an STL format, which you will need for 3D printing.

As far as tutorials go, there are some videos available on the Web. Several of our members, including myself, have posted limited tutorials here on MSW. Just search for "DELFTship" in the Search Field and check them out.

I highly recommend downloading my Background Images Guide that I posted in the New Version of DELFTship thread here. The company just released a major version update that makes using background images for modeling a lot easier than in previous versions.

DELFTship Free and its manual can be downloaded here.

Please feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions on getting started.

Terry

Edited by CDR_Ret