HMS Bounty by AdamA - 1:48

Nice looking wood.  Where did you find it?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the reference.  Swiss Pear is another one of the those hard to find woods.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm using McKay's drawings but I also printed Hahn's out for reference. Hahn's plans came out a tiny bit under the scale they were supposed to be for whatever reason so I had to increase them 1%.

Here's a few pieces of the stem fresh off of the band saw. I'll reduce them on the drum sander then hand sand and chisel on my bench vice for the final fit.

20210303_182203.jpg

I hope you will excuse me to ask a question, but are the drawings for your stem pieces from the Hahn drawings?

I am curious as to piece number one and the gammoning slot.

It seems that the long horizontal joint would have been a weak point considering the forces present from the gammoning.

I have seen a similar configuration on another Hahn design for Rattlesnake..

I am certainly no expert, but other plans I have seen would have the gammoning slot in a piece that extended deeper vertically into the stem.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could shed more light on this.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 3/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, Gregory said:

I hope you will excuse me to ask a question, but are the drawings for your stem pieces from the Hahn drawings?

I am curious as to piece number one and the gammoning slot.

It seems that the long horizontal joint would have been a weak point considering the forces present from the gammoning.

I have seen a similar configuration on another Hahn design for Rattlesnake..

I am certainly no expert, but other plans I have seen would have the gammoning slot in a piece that extended deeper vertically into the stem.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could shed more light on this.

That drawing is from John McKay's book "The Armored Transport Bounty."

Hahn's has the same layout.

Since this is the first time I've built one of these from scratch I was not thinking about how close the tolerances were for the sides that meet. As a result I'm on my second attempt for all the pieces of the stem. 

First I'm using the band saw to get the piece roughed out.

Then I shape them to the line on the drum sander.

Then I use a razor saw and chisel on the angled areas, very carefully using the neighboring pieces to be sure I've got the angle right. This is a deliberate process that. If you rush and "hope for the best" you'll be redoing it haha.

I rely on the bench vice to stop my razor saw at the correct point and to stop my chisel at the right depth.

As an aside, you MUST keep your chisels sharp. Doing it dull causes the chisel to jump and pull chuncks of wood out. I added a picture of my wet stones.

20210310_093318.jpg

20210310_093629.jpg

20210310_101638.jpg

20210310_101703.jpg

20210310_101847.jpg

20210310_103426.jpg

20210310_103534.jpg

20210310_103829.jpg

20210310_104922.jpg

On 3/1/2021 at 7:38 AM, AdamA said:

McKay's Bounty drawings show a raised nub at the forward end of the keel that very nearly doubles its height at that point. I'm sanding it to the correct angle with the bench vice holding the Swiss pear.

This nub is called a hook, it's purpose is to prevent the end of part number 7, the apron, from having an end that would taper down to a sharp point. If fasteners went through that sharp point the end would split and cause that are to be weakened. Not something you want in a keel member.  So you cut the apron short and end it where it is still pretty thick, and compensate by adding material to the keel member.  It also serves to act as a stop during assembly, keeping the apron from sliding down.

Edit: Also, about that 3D blender model you found, I wouldn't trust it too much. I have a lot of experience with those types of models and accuracy is the one weakest point they tend to have. 

Edited by rtwpsom2
blender model info

Yeah, so Bounty is a bit different from what I thought, #7 is the lower stem and your apron is further in.  This is from the AOTS book, right?  If you are interested the Royal Museum has original line plans for the Bounty, a deck plan for her, and a plan for one of her launches. They might be of help, maybe not to buy but just for reference.

Edited by rtwpsom2

15 hours ago, rtwpsom2 said:

Yeah, so Bounty is a bit different from what I thought, #7 is the lower stem and your apron is further in.  This is from the AOTS book, right?  If you are interested the Royal Museum has original line plans for the Bounty, a deck plan for her, and a plan for one of her launches. They might be of help, maybe not to buy but just for reference.

It was funny because I had to remake the Gripe ha.