Gill Smith Catboat Pauline by michael mott - scale 1:8

This is the new project that has to be fully researched yet. There is some cursory information for this model in the Thesis by Daria Elizabeth Merwin pages 57-65

I will add information as it comes together  before the build starts.

Edited by michael mott
remove early drawing.

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks to Keith Black for directing me to this post which references Gill Smith's work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks for directing us here from your other build log. I'll follow along with a lot of interest! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Hi Chris thank you for the change to the title, certainly makes it more clear.

As I mentioned at the top this is in essence a future build with the need for Photographs that I can legally have access to for the development of this model. The actual boat is in the Long Island Maritime Museum, I have sent them an email regarding digital membership. The drawings that are in the Merwin Thesis were credited to Thomas et al.

If there are any members who are knowledgeable in this area I am all ears.

Thanks

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Beautiful Michael.....can't wait to see what you do with her.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 2 weeks later...

An update, I heard back from the Mystic Seaport museum and they can send me 6 prints of Pauline which include all the ones that Daria Elizabeth Merwin used in her thesis. So I am looking forward to receiving them. It will be fun setting them up to do the lofting for the frames, I will use the old drafting table instead of Cad.

And if anyone is in the area and willing to take any photo graphs that would be Stirling!

Michael

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Rob Napier built a model of a Gill Smith catboat and published an article about it 20? or so years ago.

If anyone has a link to the article I would be most appreciative.

Michael

8 hours ago, michael mott said:

It will be fun setting them up to do the lofting for the frames, I will use the old drafting table instead of Cad.

I expect that including the manual drafting phase in a build-log would be of great educational value to the "younger generation." Fifty years ago, "mechanical drawing" was a staple of most boy's high school education. Today, the average high school kid doesn't even know what a tee-square and triangle are, let alone a batten and ducks. CAD has its strengths, to be sure, but for model lofting, I've yet to see a time, or cost, advantage to CAD over old fashioned lofting on a drawing board. Perhaps many would enjoy seeing how easily it is done.

Michael:  Over in the WoodenBoat forums, there is an account of a man in England who fairly recently built a full-size copy of the Gill Smith Catboat, "Lorelei", in case you have not come across that.  If not, you may find it informative for your project. It is a lovely craft indeed.

the link is: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?224859-Gil-Smith-catboat-quot-Lorelei-quot&highlight=gill+smith+catboat 

Edited by MAGIC's Craig
corrected name of design

Roger, thanks for the info I have sent Mary Van Dahm an inquiry.

Craig thanks for the link and your thoughts, I have followed that thread in the past and saw the pictures before photobucket put their ugly stamp on top of the pictures.

Michael

The article has been purchased and downloaded and read. Thanks for the heads up. it cost $2.50 and worth every penny.

Michael

The article details some interesting methods for the creation of the model by Christopher Morrison, some of the details at 1/32nd scale of  a 21 foot boat on page 222 there is a footnote that mentions that George Daniels book Watchmaking is one of the three most important modelmaking books he has ever read, I concur with that assessment, I was given a copy of this book for my 50th birthday in 1998

IMG_1988x1024.jpg.ee0dc0435908ce95999c585dd0a8c155.jpg

George makes the art of metalwork sound as easy as snapping lego bricks together. The book is a treasure trove of techniques and is full of wonderful drawings illustrating these techniques.

One of the interesting things that Christopher Morrison points out in the description of Gill Smiths boats is that he used sawn natural crook frames from Oak. Planking of Cedar, deck planking of Pine ,Cedar , or Cypress.  

I have three types of trees in my backyard Crab-apple, Amur Maple, and Bur Oak. I keep all the pruning pieces and save some for modelwork and some for the occasional evening sit by the fire pit in the late summer evenings. 

here is a lovely piece of apple that I cut 1/2 inch thick and stickered after a major limb was pruned a few years ago.

first the rough bandsawn side

IMG_1987x1024.jpg.2857b16b470ce135dff790401354bf3b.jpg

Hand planing the surface.

IMG_1983x1024.jpg.a482041e588c8e024d7138b6de862973.jpg

and a close up of the smooth surface, so for a naturally curved beam.

IMG_1986x1024.jpg.13f78ea3ec23705a59e0706ec09a1e65.jpg

The piece is about 13 inches long.

There was a replica of Pauline made called Anitra in 1988, I am hoping that there were photographs taken of the build.

Michael

Michael

Somehow it didn’t klick with me, that you started another log here.

Daniels’ book seems to be widely used, indeed, in the trade. I don’t own a copy, but have a variety of other, mainly antiquarian books on watch- and intrument-making.

I’ll have to watch this log then as well ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

The plans from Mystic Seaport Museum are on their way, This is exciting.

Michael

It was like an early birthday gift! The six drawings arrived today I opted to let them be folded because of the difference in the postage costs, as it was they cost $27 postal fees. Although the drawing state that they cannot be reproduced, I think that the obligatory picture of the plan chest drawer that they are now safely nestled in wont be infringing any rules.

IMG_9929x1024.jpg.a5dcec99478c08568ec6c468b275ffd4.jpg

So with the table of offsets and the drawings as a guide I will be able to prepare a set of model building plans including the sawn oak frames. Still lots of preparatory work yet though.

Today I am a happy camper.

Michael

Edited by michael mott
spelling correction

Michael,

Do you remember the model of the Vinal Haven that you helped me build? The hull plan came from the Mystic Museum and also had a “do not reproduce” stamp on it. I called the museum to ask for permission to copy for my own purposes, and it was readily given. Interestingly, the copy shop paid no attention to the stamp!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I will email my contact at the museum for permission to get a copy for my own use to build the model.

Michael

Yes, being  George Daniels  student back in the day would have been a brilliant career choice methinks.

Michael

All looking very interesting Michael,  looking forward to seeing it develop.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks for the comments and interest.

I had to make a start today....sort of like playing with a new toy. first the raw material

IMG_2062x1024.jpg.7fbe5a0a140fb17bf6ca3fb64d0864c1.jpg

I taped the lines drawing to the drawing board as a rough guide, and chose some Albalene drawing paper and set it over the drawing.

next the baseline and the station lines, and diagonals were drawn according to the stated dimensions, using the table of offsets working out from the center line.

IMG_2064x1024.jpg.18a8010e06fdb231e8edb90f84a636e3.jpg

Beginning with the sheer line, and marking off on the station lines I used a stick of clear pine 1/8th square as the stick for the ducks. These are slabs of 2" diameter steel with some shelf liner double sided taped to the underside to stop them sliding with some 1/16th steel rod shaped and pointed to grab the stick.

IMG_2065x1024.jpg.573f9c87f08a6dd95fa37f2ee656e42e.jpg

IMG_2066x1024.jpg.03dd763480b39fe3a4a2ecc7a71f91a9.jpg

As is clear the drawing is close but not as accurate as my line marked off from the table of offsets.

IMG_2068x1024.jpg.25267a0e3856667dd5c51c9cb32fa274.jpg

The diagonals are off a bit on the print as well, of course this is all due most likely to the printing and paper stretch all the usual suspects.

IMG_2067x1024.jpg.a007716a04233af0af6322754b9e8d73.jpg

I am using a 4H for these lines, the trick being to keep the pencil sharp.

This is so enjoyable, nice instrumental lute music playing in the background, a great way to spend the Saturday afternoon. Once the lines are drawn I will be able to plot the frames.

Michael

Michael

Just 2 more buttock lines, and then the diagonals and body plan

IMG_2070x1024.jpg.73a22482936d3b2ef3295f530a6cdc91.jpg

all the waterlines were close but a couple differed a bit aft the end of the keel.

IMG_2071x1024.jpg.44429bec90c59ea2adeb4146dfabed16.jpg

IMG_2075x1024.jpg.2f9956e4afb95280e1960d09c5852e8a.jpg

I suppose I will be able to cross reference them once the body plan is done.

IMG_2079x1024.jpg.e6c9b9fc7c9fa260f343dff205a4dcc3.jpg

That's it for today.

Michael

In a German forum there is currently a discussion going on about classical draughtsmenship versus CAD. Somehow I have been leaning towards CAD early on, but have the feeling that certain elements would be quicker and easier using hand-tools - or perhaps I don't have the right CAD-tools. Still, there is this southing haptic experience of sitting at the drawing-board. I still have an A0-board that can be raised and tilted, together with the machine and all the draughting tools ... 

Will be watching this space !

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg