Fifie by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Victory Models - 1/32

Thanks guys...really appreciate the comments and you checking in. Bit of a hiccup after deck was done as my kit was missing rudder hinges. They had only put one set in my kit instead of 3, so had to mess about fabricating something similar from what I had lying around. Not perfect but good enough. Used some leftover walnut as decking on the platform for the cabin. I relocated the scuttles on the fish deck somewhat so they connect with the space I created below decks. Not sure I’m going to try to drill through the sub deck for the holes since it’s mdf and could get messy.

402ED1E0-C45E-4054-AC84-B22A7DDBAA08.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Wonderful work! I really appreciate the choice of colors and their harmony. The technique is also mastered with brilliance.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

I just found your build, Tim, and it's fantastic. You did a wonderful job on the planking and your painting and staining is outstanding. Given the high quality of your work here, I would love to see some photos of your other ship models too.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Jean-Paul, Bob and Clive!

This pandemic is really helping with my productivity model ship wise, although I am very soon going to have to get into some construction jobs. Meantime I’m pressing on with the companionways and other deck installations. These are fun bits and pieces, each a small project. The hatch coverings’ ring and post assemblies don’t go together that easily. Should really have drilled out all the posts to make assembly easier. Having said that, I’m finding pretty much everything on this model to be a satisfying undertaking. Nice change from HMS Bounty which I have to admit was a bit of a slog at times.

1F8E5AEB-5AA0-435A-97BC-017504FB33FB.jpeg

2CBBF86F-9C70-4FF8-93DB-84133C64F752.jpeg

908FA1D4-E2FA-4B20-9E5C-7FE778D6AE10.jpeg

2E2F6732-4A8B-45EB-91C1-8C9A5C41250E.jpeg

DB04D26D-7B02-4192-AE04-8B89973FDB96.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

we seem to think alike?  you save the parts panels!  I do as well,  using them to clone other hulls and fit them out as I like ;)   fine looking project......love your below deck details.......it's the little things.  I don't usually double plank......it seems hard with this model,  given the deep rabbits and the way the assembly runs.  I've used the thin strip and thread method for simulated calking......I settled on using a Pritt pen to do it :) 

very nice model....really looks the nine!  I'm envious of your planking skills. :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Popeye! Work has kept me away for the last couple of weeks so haven’t been able to spend much time in the cabin...just started on some of the various deck fittings and pilot house.

9397F4C9-45F4-44A9-914D-DCB107E396C9.jpeg

35B7D5DF-4BD7-46B7-9C73-21BFD6C3D5DD.jpeg

B35943A7-3F1B-4009-911E-4E0B7F6E7578.jpeg

72C02E8F-6A64-41C8-9D84-77510D3FAE59.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 4 weeks later...

Just finishing up some colourful deck paraphernalia on what has been a creative and enjoyable build. Really just the lifeboat to do and then the masts and rigging. Not a lot of time working in the cabin lately, but really I’m happy to stretch out this build over summer since I don’t plan on starting my next one until late fall. Not sure what area of the model kingdom I’ll tackle after Fifie yet.

09E0013F-6A68-4A76-A787-32BA3CCAFF07.jpeg

D59746DC-35C5-4E97-96F1-AADDDD0B59D3.jpeg

7C1FAA22-37D4-4480-95EF-45A2B7084594.jpeg

39082F97-A3C8-43BC-BE7E-62124FAFF0E1.jpeg

0D030552-872B-4DAE-8AA6-43800ED08C90.jpeg

12E7A145-38C5-4190-875C-BAB1CB0BB0EA.jpeg

8DEBB40E-E415-4053-98F2-3085993483E0.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 4 months later...

I love all the details going into this model! Just curious, how did you make the buoys? They look very realistic 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 11:28 AM, WalrusGuy said:

I love all the details going into this model! Just curious, how did you make the buoys? They look very realistic 

Hi thanks and sorry for not seeing this message earlier…the buoy materials are provided in the kit and fashioned from wooden balls which are drilled to accept an eyebolt and collar. I blacked the fittings and stained them an assortment of colours, some I painted.   

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Hello all finally just getting back into the model cabin now that a busy construction season is almost over. The Fifie is pretty much done, I will post the finished product shortly after I finish off the lifeboat and the minor amount of rigging. 
Been thinking about my next victim for winter production. On the marine front I am pondering possibly the Endurance now that occre has that model, which I’ve always wanted to do. The Amati Grand Banks and their large scale Endeavour americas cup contender also appeal, although the former seems not to be available at present.
I usually like to switch things up so as not to do two similar subjects in a row, so to start off I’ve got something completely different coming next week - a 1/12 italeri kit of the fiat 806 Grand Prix racer. Always been an F1 fan so looking forward to what I can do on a vintage racer with my new airbrush. I enjoyed scratchbuilding an engine in my mahogany runabout some years ago so should be interesting. Been ages since I worked in plastic, forgotten what adhesive strategy is best. 
Tim

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

In search of something different with each build (getting near the end of a two plus year journey with the USF Confederacy) this thread and one other made my decision. This will be my next build for display in our Marblehead Mass. home. Back ordered but will show up eventually. Thanks!

Edited by Brucealanevans

1 hour ago, Tim Moore said:

Hello all finally just getting back into the model cabin now that a busy construction season is almost over. The Fifie is pretty much done, I will post the finished product shortly after I finish off the lifeboat and the minor amount of rigging. 
Been thinking about my next victim for winter production. On the marine front I am pondering possibly the Endurance now that occre has that model, which I’ve always wanted to do. The Amati Grand Banks and their large scale Endeavour americas cup contender also appeal, although the former seems not to be available at present.
I usually like to switch things up so as not to do two similar subjects in a row, so to start off I’ve got something completely different coming next week - a 1/12 italeri kit of the fiat 806 Grand Prix racer. Always been an F1 fan so looking forward to what I can do on a vintage racer with my new airbrush. I enjoyed scratchbuilding an engine in my mahogany runabout some years ago so should be interesting. Been ages since I worked in plastic, forgotten what adhesive strategy is best. 
Tim

Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures of your beautiful Fifie.

Do you plan to do a log for the Fiat in the non-ship builds section?  I for one would be interested.  As for plastic adhesive, I think it is similar to paint in that the dangerously smelly stuff works best :)   I've been using the Tamiya extra thin and regular cement on a plastic build I am doing.  The former is great for gluing together parts before painting....just hold them together and touch the seam with the small brush in the cap.  If things are already painted, scrape the paint off of the mating surfaces for it to work best.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Tim,

That's exceptionally neat looking.... Amati would be happy to use it for box art I suspect.

Looking forward to seeing the remaing parts added, and then finished Fifie sitting next to the trees, or maybe some water if there's any nearby. 😉

Well done,

Richard

Thanks Bruce, Gary and Richard….I will get my backside in gear to finish her and take a few decent pics. Appreciate you looking in and the kind comments. Kind of like the structure these build logs give to a project so may well sneak one about the Fiat in the unauthorized non ship section.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

3 hours ago, gsdpic said:

Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures of your beautiful Fifie.

Do you plan to do a log for the Fiat in the non-ship builds section?  I for one would be interested.  As for plastic adhesive, I think it is similar to paint in that the dangerously smelly stuff works best :)   I've been using the Tamiya extra thin and regular cement on a plastic build I am doing.  The former is great for gluing together parts before painting....just hold them together and touch the seam with the small brush in the cap.  If things are already painted, scrape the paint off of the mating surfaces for it to work best.

Thanks for the gluing advice Gary, I actually saw that really thin stuff in our local supply shop last time I was there so will try that. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I am still working on the Fifie finish…rigging is in place and I’m just fashioning a sail. Always a new skill to master or in my case butcher in ship modeling.

230B5DCE-C262-43AE-BAED-77D1301E886C.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

All done except for the rowboat which I almost forgot about. I’ve edge glued the 1mm material along the temporary bulkheads and then pinched out the mdf formwork. 

C4F59123-C074-4BCA-8B0E-BA563EEF3804.jpeg

DE9AFF59-E655-44F1-82B1-EAE6B0279A6A.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

On 12/13/2021 at 11:14 AM, Tim Moore said:

Yes, I am still working on the Fifie finish…rigging is in place and I’m just fashioning a sail. Always a new skill to master or in my case butcher in ship modeling.

230B5DCE-C262-43AE-BAED-77D1301E886C.jpeg

If only we could "butcher" our builds as well as you!

Another beautiful job, Tim!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Ha thanks Lyle. I’m really just putzing around now micro-modeling this little rowboat, haven’t had much sustained time in the cabin and don’t want to start my next model victim until the new year anyway.

Egads! Shortly after I took these pics my collie Trixie nabbed it off the coffee table but thankfully I extracted it before any major damage. 

49F5F46E-8B48-4E3A-91CE-9157EC12C1BC.jpeg

D0D4CF18-1FE2-4F91-9A79-E35CE16E2D18.jpeg

FF696190-39D9-4917-B1FE-A7B655DF49C2.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

My rendition of Fifie ….finished! And on my birthday.
A colourful and happy fisher boat as I’ve done her, with lots of detail. This is a faultless kit that results in a substantial model, bigger than it looks. Lots of scope for adding your own custom bits. Don’t really like sails up on my models for some reason so set mine down, despite doing all the detail on it. At least I know it’s there I suppose. It’s rigged properly so can be pulled up.

Those in the know history wise on this craft may recognize the name and number.

Best wishes of the season to everyone!

613B4F6E-C854-4415-92D4-055093388493.jpeg

DC6C94C9-83BE-4D3A-9A10-0C4FF9222AD3.jpeg

17BDA361-F04C-4E38-8D36-11FF4CCEA386.jpeg

EB96AC68-FBBF-4F53-B994-4431D152B5B7.jpeg

5D8FA656-D465-49A1-8728-C0E8B1C60283.jpeg

4E47C93D-3776-4D8B-B908-EC26E10B7DC1.jpeg

2FD9566A-C9E9-4249-8DA8-9AE9BFFE8AD2.jpeg

649CB842-7FF1-4496-AEE0-71AEA17642F7.jpeg

F5A2530F-B115-4BE3-9EC7-EC87C4849595.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

A beautiful model for your birthday 😃.
Congratulations! This is really a great model with lots of personal details. This Fifie is absolutely a little gem.

I look forward to your next model. Any ideas yet?

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thanks Jean-Paul!
I like to switch things up so for the winter I’m going to the dark side for a bit and will be doing a 1:12 Fiat 806, a vintage Grand Prix car from Italeri. Allows me to stay inside the warm house as it’s a plastic and airbrushing project as opposed to woodworking. After that I have a few boats in mind, inspired by some work I’ve seen on MSW, naturally. 
Tim

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Very beautiful and detailed model! And wishing you a happy birthday! 😄

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Nice job!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.