Ideas on RC models

Hi Effie and welcome to MSW.

Some questions:

Sailing or motorized version?

If sailing, do you want to compete?

If so, see amya.org.

You will also find a lot of useful links even if to compete.

If motorized, is it just for fun or do you want to build scale model with details?

Krick is one well known manufacturer.

I would suggest you write down the criteria you want with your RC.

Use internet and do some research, you will be amazed how much there's to choose from. 

Many of us are into RC and you will find a lot of help once established your direction of type.

Don't get me wrong but your original question is like going to a car dealer and saying I like to buy a car.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW, Effie.    Nivana is right... we'd need more info to help you out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks

I would be interested in a non-sailing ship that would not be too difficult to build.   I plan to interest my young grandson in RC motoring.

I would like it to be about 1 1/2 feet long or there about.  I would imagine the hull to be precast in a waterproof material because I do not like the idea of making a resin based hull with all of the odors involved.

That is question 1

Question 2 is:

I have finished building 4 kits. Grand Banks Dory, Armed Longboat, Phantom (all Model Shipways)  The last one was the Muscongus Lobster Smack.  I enjoyed it very much but I felt the instructions  fell very short (Model Shipways)

There should have been plans and clearer instructions on rigging and salemaking. I liked the scale.

Where should I go now? (Besides the RC)

EFFIE

Effie, 

To answer 1:

There is something called "ARTR" (Almost Ready To Run)  "RC boat" use that as for a search.

You will see there are many boats that comes with very little assembly, all you need to add is a radio/receiver and battery pack.

To answer 2:

Take a look at our sponsors on the main page, Bluejacket Inc have some kits that may interest you.

Again, you are not providing us with much information of what you like to do.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hello EFFIE

It has been quite some time since I have been active in RC power boats but what Nirvana is very true. It would be much more helpful if you were a little more specific in just what you  were looking for. "RC" capable boats or ships come in as many forms as you can possibly imagine and probably a few that you can't.

You can take a number of plastic kits on the market and equip them with the required RC gear and run them. There are a number of wooden kits available that are either designed or adaptable to RC, but your aversion to resin and the smells involved would kind of preclude that. Caldercraft and a few other companies put out a number of very nice scale models in sizes and design that are very suitable for RC. Some are just hulls that you need to scratch build everything else and some are full kits that pretty much include everything you need to build the ship. In both cases you can expect a pretty hefty price tag, for what you get.

Then there are kits like the tug Southampton that is very popular that is available in many forms all of the way up to fully ready to run with all you need except batteries. Nice looking modern harbor tug and a forgiving design.

You mention your grandson. I have no idea what his age or interests are but having had a few children over the years I know that they are almost never interested in scale but are more inclined to want speed and in some cases warships, again, depending on their age. In most cases these two features in RC boats are not compatible with novice youngsters who seem to have only two movements on the transmitter, full speed forward/reverse and full left/right on the rudder. I started my kids with a pool noodle bent into a horseshoe shape around a tupperware container. they could run into almost anything without hurting it!

I could go on endlessly with suggestions but like Per says without more specific information it is really too broad of a question.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thank you all

I feel better that you are out there ready to help

I think I will scrap plans for now for RC boats and concentrate on improving my skills.  So what suggestions do you think have for my next model?  I like the larger sizes like 1/4' and up. I like schooners and work boats with rigging.   Bluejacket models seem very nice.

EFFIE