Alistair, absolutely fantastic work, and I think your analysis on the blades is spot on.  From my reading, the end of the plank would diminish down to around 1/2 the width of the plank itself which would give you the result you describe, but I'd welcome correction of my understanding.  It looks great anyway!

Hello there Alistair,

I have just caught up with your log.  I have to admit I had to take a big gulp too when I read that you were going to cover up your incredible work with the Quarterdeck!  I am glad you are making the decking on the QD perfect though as we will all spend so much time staring at it trying to see underneath hahaha

But seriously, it just looks fantastic and it is also so good to read of how much effort it takes to get such perfect results.

Thanks B.E.

I flicked back and forth to your quarter planking while doing it. I'm still annoyed about the width of the aft most blades on the hooded planks but I'll live with them. Nearly finished the coamings/grates and will tackle the skylight as per the FFM. Haven't quite figured my strategy for that yet...

Your log remains the bible for this kit. Thank you for making it so comprehesive.

I felt mine were a tad wide as well, but it was my first attempt as such 'fancy' planking.  Still we live and learn, and your annoyance will fade once all the fittings are on to draw your eye away.

In any case it's a fine planking job and only us detail freaks ;) will think it's a micro mm too wide in the hood, eveyone else will think what an interesting pattern and what nice work. :)

B.E.

Thanks all and for the "Likes"

Dry fit of the coaming assembly on the QD is complete. My treenails are bigger than those on the main deck - a mistake :angry: but one I think will wash out when the deck yellows with exposure to sunlight. I tried replacing the treenails on the main deck with the same drill size I mistakenly used on the QD and couldn't notice any difference at all.

The coaming assemblage takes some time to get right. Forward is the ladder next the capstan step, then a three grated vent followed by the skylight coaming. The capstan step is angled so that capstan is square to the waterline. Keeping all of these parts dimensionally accurate and square is a challenge. The grates didn't quite go as I'd planned - they are a bit of coin toss at this scale. I tried to flair the coaming widths to be wider forward and slightly slimmer aft. Hmmm...that didn't really work.

All is just dry fitted at the moment and the photos show me some needed adjustments.

The next challenge is the skylight which will be inset into the aft most coaming. I still have no idea how I'll make this piece. Many failures to come :o.

post-259-0-09997100-1403435708_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-98435300-1403435718_thumb.jpg

Well I made the skylight in slight accordance with the FFM. It is tiny piece, 17mm x 10mm, and very fragile - it fell apart many times in the making. I have to take my hat off to Blue Ensign for making the side windows - that beat me...no way could I do this. I still have to tidy up a bit and glaze it but will take what I've made as more or less finished!

I do like it more than the kit designed piece and would recommend this little upgrade.

post-259-0-45541900-1403504134_thumb.jpg

Thanks Michael

Just finished glazing the clerestorey light but it is hard to tell. Going right back to my first post on this log, I can now place the binnacle cabinet on a near finished deck. This feels nice. Everything is dry laid - off they'll come for the next challenge - the stern.

post-259-0-29112400-1403518950_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bob, Martin and Ken. Your generous comments are appreciated.

I'm setting myself day to day goals and todays was the ladder from the QD to the main deck. I'd already realised I had a problem. The QD ladder coaming overlapped with the main deck coaming which meant the ladder was going to struggle to get down to the main deck without hitting the lower coaming. In hindsight I would reduce the fore-aft dimension of the lower coaming and do the same for the upper one. Too late for that! The only solution is a ladder set with a fairly shallow pitch so that it misses the lower hatch. All very tight! Got it in though, dry fit only at the moment, and a few adjustments to the ladder treads are evident in the photos.

post-259-0-78613200-1403586983_thumb.jpg

Oh really nicely done - did you use the kit ladder sides, adjust or cut your own?

Just tried my bits to see how they look (NOT as good as yours !) and mine indeed, like yours, foul the aft end of the lower hatch fractionally. 

(Future builders be aware that the margins are fine here  )

Aha!  That problematic detail is worth knowing -- thanks for the heads up, Alistair & Spy, especially since I'll be starting on the main deck ladder hatch this evening.

Alistair -- I like the contrasting woods in your ladder.  And from the photo I can also see an advantage to butting the planks against the coaming:  you can put in that nice detail of the trenails!

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Spyglass - the ladder stringers are kit supplied but the treads are 3mm x 1mm walnut (cut down from kit supplied 4 x 1 walnut). I find the kit supplied treads are too thick and I like the treads to project slightly beyond the stringers. Also I like the contrast of the wood colours.

Martin - Yep the hatch alignments caught me out. It is easy to adjust to avoid this but too late for me. Anyway it worked out OK in the end.

Thanks Donny

My next little challenge was the rudder/tiller covering box. I went with the FFM here and scratch made an octagonal panelled cover, it is a very fragile piece. I'm still in two minds about leaving it natural or painting. The fundamental dimensions are OK but the photos show a wee bit of sanding and trimming left to do.

I also planked the inner side of the QD bulwark. All good.

The rudder house looks enormous in the photos but it is very tight to the rudder extension and is very tiny. The side walls are about 7mm high.

post-259-0-84226900-1403947309_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-66239500-1403947321_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments and Likes. Appreciated.

I've moved forward and am doing the riding bits and other stuff before I get the forecastle deck installed.

Question: The kit suggests two ladders from the forecastle deck to the waist. These are not suggested in the FFM and only show up now and then in contemporary models. I'm going to install gangboards which will allow the crew access from the forecastle to the waist from the aft ladders. The presence of the fore ladders kind of makes some sense but with gangboards on it makes less sense and feels very crowded. Any opinions?