aliluke

HMS Fly by aliluke - Amati - 1/64

Sorry to see you pausing Alistair,

but whatever now has priority in your life must be done, looking foreward to your build whenever time allows again......

Nils

Ach, Alistair, I'm sorry to read this, your log has always been one of my guiding lights.  Your build will wait patiently for you, and we'll all look forward to hearing from you again (and to seeing those pictures of your beautiful country!).

Best wishes,

Martin

Well that is a shame - I had to mothball my Pegasus and I know its a real wrench. 

I do hope you get back to modelling - I so enjoyed your log.

You could whittle a bit maybe to keep your hand in ? :D

Or maybe do what I have done - choose a much simpler and smaller build just to keep in touch with your skills.

But thanks for the pleasure I have had to date reading your stuff

Steve

Hey Alistair, sorry to hear that you will be putting your Fly aside for a while.  I've gone through pretty long stretches myself where I didn't work on my builds - my Badger took me over 5 years! :)  The nice thing about this hobby is that you can always pick up where you left off.  In any event, good luck with everything.  You're a very talented modeler, and you've been a big inspiration and help to me as I work on my Pegasus.  Who knows, maybe I'll catch up with you and we can hit the home stretch together?

Take care my friend, and best wishes.

Hi

I feel overwhelmed by all of your thoughts - thank you...I'd just love to go downstairs and just box joint a new hatch coaming - my last gesture was to rip out the old one as I didn't like the way the ladder seated.Time for other things has taken over. But you (we) are an incredibly friendly bunch of like minded people and I'll keep following even if I don't cut, drill, sand, shave or shape wood for a wee while.

All the best mates and if your models aren't up to scratch keep on scratching!!

Take good care my friend, we'll keep a light on for you here at MSW. I hope whatever has called you away from ship modeling works out well for you.

I just realized that you have become marooned on an island or something.  I will miss your skill and your constructive critiques.

Come back to us soon.

Cheers.

Take care Alistair, we'll be waiting for your eventual return. Thanks for all the advice, encouragement and practical help.

Sad news Alistair! Your build is a real inspiration - hope to see more of it - hope also that you won't bow out of MSW! I haven't been doing too much modelling lately, but it's nice to see others still doing it. Take care my friend!

hamilton

Friends

It has been a long while. HMS Fly sits as it was - gosh - over a year ago. I have recently re-found the passion for models and the time! But I need a quicker fix and have gone over to plastic/resin planes from WW1. Flying boats in particular. I'll not let HMS Fly go but the incredible repetition of the various parts is not something I can face and I just want to make stuff. The kits I'm getting into are from Wingnut Wings - just around the corner from where I live - Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor at Weta Workshop. If you like a flying boat have a look at their Felixstone - an extraordinary model but well beyond my "plastic" skills. Plastic is a whole other thing - easier and harder than wood. It does not forgive mistakes.

Anyway just wanted to say that Aliluke is back into building but not wooden ships for the moment. I'll keep looking at the logs I enjoy - especially Blue Ensign's Pegasus which continues to blow me away and make me itch to get back at it.

Cheers all!

Good to see you are back at making things Alistair!  

Wingnut Wings makes some amazing models, and if I ever got back into plastic I would really be looking at their kits.  

Another great maker of plastic aircraft is Zoukei-Mura.  Take a look at their amazing 1/32 scale Ho 229 - http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws08_Ho229horten.html

All of their kits are amazing, and they only make 1/32 and 1/48 scale, so the detail is just incredible.

Best of luck with your airplane making!

It's really good to see you back Alistair.  Thanks for all your encouragement and help with my Vanguard.

Bob (rmc)

Hey Alistair!  It's great to hear you've still got the itch -- and if BE's log doesn't make it flair up nothing will.  I used to build model airplanes, way back when, and found great joy in it, so I can certainly understand.

Your Fly log remains one of the primary sources of information and ideas/solutions for at least one other Fly.

Cheers,

Martin

Good to hear from you. 

I was into WWI models as a kid and those Wingnut Wings look excellent.  Is there a place where we can watch your progress and marvel at your abilities?

Cheers.

Welcome back Alistair, you've been missed! Whatever you work on I'm sure it will be masterfully done. I'm not sure how it works down under but up here in NJ a flying boat is still a "boat" ;)

Hello again old friend! I'm glad to see you back here again, but sorry you're not picking up on Fly....I get what you're saying about the repetitiousness of shop modelling - I guess it's in the nature of the hobby to both elevate and lower one's heart rate at the wrong times! I don't know if it's permitted, but it would be great to see some of your recent modelling work....if not here, then where? Bye for now

hamilton