Charles W Morgan by rookie - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Bought this decades ago and many years ago I assembled the frames

left on the shelf and started again a couple years ago

i am ar the point where the second planking is down to waterline 

I plan to copper with tape so I will post some current photos and pictures of the plans as I saw an ask for plan photos

thanks Ian

I have to check on the wood - I discovered the clamps a little while ago that are not painted black so they wont leave the black marks on the wood when contacting the glue

I plan to use those from now on

I have not noticed the saw wearing out , good question though.

is there a small mitre box that is wood?  

will post more recent pictures shortly 

On 3/6/2021 at 2:52 AM, rookie said:

Question

am I allowed to post plans from artesania Latina.?

If you take a photo of the plans, laying on a table, I think that is okay to post. They will then be distorted and can not be used.

But I would guess that scanning them and then posting would be an infringement of copyright. So, dont' do that. 😉 

And while I'm here, Welcome to MSW! Enjoy your stay 🙂 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Here is the current state of build

i sat dowel in the mast holes and sat the bowsprit on to see how it looks

will be doing some lower mast work for a change of pace

also need that to line up the shrouds to add the lower channels with grooves for the chain plates at the correct angle

67F92D8A-01E6-4046-90AA-4B08C0F00423.jpeg

3 hours ago, rookie said:

thanks Ian

I have to check on the wood - I discovered the clamps a little while ago that are not painted black so they wont leave the black marks on the wood when contacting the glue

That explains it. I thought the wood itself contained occasional dark patches. Some sort of tropical wood.

Second planking looks very good!

I thought I would make a few comments about the Artesania Latina Morgan model itself

As I was going to start planking I found that the stern was way too small compared to the big wide stern on the actual ship. I cut out a slightly larger transom and "padded" the planking on the last one or two frames to build it up a little.

I also found the wide piece of wood for the bulwarks problematic to try to bend at t he bow and install. I have a feeling mine is not correct as I ended up not able to add the extra piece below the cap rail as it would have been too high.

I had seen the Model Shipways build and I preferred actually building the bulwarks up properly.  That model also forces you to build the deck structures whereas the AL model has blocks for hatches and companionways and tryworks.  The AL instructions just say to score brick pattern into the block provided. (yikes!)

I embellished the hatches etc and have not begun the tryworks yet.  Still wondering about actually using tiny bricks to make it.

In general, now that I have gone through the planking I have realized the next time there are things I would do differently.  I will definitely install the keel first and create a rabbet for the planks rather than sticking the keel on top of first layer.  I think I will also try to only do one layer of planks; it is tough enough doing it once without having to shape tiny veneer bits and do it again.

I will also follow advice I saw in various places about marking the run of the planks out in sections and shaping each plank accordingly.  In mine I tried to calculate the width at each frame and shape it but that does not work when doing the entire side of hull in one "section' 

Anyway, my Billings Bounty will be better for this experience (fingers crossed)

Valuable information for anyone building this kit, I'd say.

It's also a slippery slope when you start to investigate and search for authentic information about a ship... all of a sudden you realize all the short comings of kits 😉 

However, it's a learning experience and best off will be a balance between kit supplied and own enhancements. (unless you go over to the dark side of scratch builds that is. Then nothing is stopping you and the abyss is deep... 😄 ).

Planking a hull IS difficult and there are numerous accounts of how-tos and tutorials here on MSW. 

Don't rush and you will do just fine!

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks Wintergreen

Speaking of doing my own thing I decided to build the tops rather than use the stamped out parts in kit (plus one of them broke while removing it)

I will plank it using the kit piece. As a template

In the picture I may cut out thin piece and use .5 mm strips on both sides then cross supports to keep it solid

B5254548-0619-4377-8C10-47DCE2DD41AE.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Well some minor progress to report

did build the fore top and maintop

seen here in photos dry fit to masts that are sitting in holes in hull

F62E1A06-00E7-40D5-B6CF-9F4C6CF7E7B0.jpeg.803d5cd8a79b7d50f374fd403c9fe98c.jpegDFD523FB-1251-4679-92EF-5DB980023C72.jpeg.c5f4875a4112e8b8f43d624859000c79.jpeg

next up is to finishh the channels 

I plan to use a shroud on each mast to determine the chain plate angles and get those set up

i am also planning a stand but not sure how I want to do it

the keel seems too thin for screws 

I may just sit it on a cradle

67338D5F-4433-43C9-BE25-567428E584DD.jpeg

192BDD65-7530-421D-A59E-5490AA3B1D09.jpeg

Well Rookie I built the same model a couple of years ago and found some the same problems. I bought my kit from garage sale on eBay. The blocks of wood left me cold so I decided i'd scratch build everything from the deck up. My research found that Mystic Seaport library and research have many drawings of the Morgan so I bought them. I have the hurricane house, skylight, aft cover, tryworks, tryworks cover (which the original had), forward head and the winch. I built my tryworks out of sculpey making my own bricks as the drawing had the coarses spelled out. 

I put in a couple photos for reference

IMG_0317.thumb.JPG.47d77e5b9edc1cfe06944fdd3605cc94.JPG

Hurricane House, skylight and wheel

IMG_0314.thumb.jpeg.8f0a283bbb8815410f70c3686decdddb.jpeg

My first attempt at being a  brick mason

IMG_0798.thumb.jpeg.9cca0379b9ec7b0610379422feac9001.jpeg

Almost finished just fitting out the whale boats.

Let me know if I can be of help It does make a great model being larger the Model Shipways although the Model Shipways is a better kit.

Some things to think about

Original plans

Model Shipways plans (your can purchase them)

A website with wonderful description and photos of a Model Shipways version. https://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

NRG home page resources tab then resources for ship modelers articles and how toos has great instructions for tryworks

Again pm if I can be of any help

Stay Well and Stay Safe

Will :pirate41:

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Wow

thanks will

your model looks great

i have been adding the lash rail , top rail and finishing my fore and main tops

also trying to get the anchor hawse and the decorative bits at the bow

there Is nothing in the instructions so using photos of shup

tryworks is something I have not done yet - I thought about buying scale bricks on Etsy 

Colin 

• 5 weeks later...

thanks Ian

I am working on the shelters at the stern and the wheel/tiller

the wheel that came with the kit looks like a "Lego" wheel so I am thinking of making one  🤔

Or I may get a wheel kit from Syren .....

Speaking of which I bought the Syren ropewalk and got it but have not assembled it yet

Probably do the tiller ropes to practice with it  

• 1 month later...

Job I finally made some progress on the shelters at stern

Used the kit walls and added beams for the boat deck

got sidetracked with biking and Pak 40 that has been on shelf for decades as you can tell from $10 price tag

Anyway posting couple of photos of Morgan 

D6B143AA-2E80-48C3-A536-F1113514FF56.jpeg

EA98BDA3-2570-471C-AFCE-59FB7A45B959.jpeg

8EF8B083-7B78-4B96-BE41-63CD1FADA319.jpeg

Edited by rookie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

to be honest the actual photos of ship look like the bow is even more square than this model

I already had made the stern bigger on this but did not even try to change the bow

Thanks , I am working on bowsprit, foredeck and other things at bow then will move on to the chains and deadeyes 

also other details on deck and masts 

• 1 month later...

Well have not added anything here for a while

i am now retired so hope to have a little more time for this

i did take some golf lessons so that will cut into modelling time hopefully

here is the latest

working on making Davits using a sandwich of wood strips to build the curve - the curve is slightly off but close enough

will cut the size at top once I determine where the boats sit

331AB708-C4C6-42CA-9B20-3A5AD20DB318.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted 

Busy with gym visits and golf lessons

i finally had a go at the tryworks : I had been wondering how to simulate brick mortar but realized the acrylic art paint I was using is thick from the tube so I painted the white in the spaces between bricks and wiped it off the bricks

then dry brush with red and brown and some black for soot 

the bricks under the stacks are just grooves in wood with white and red paint

the copper around the pots is art paper painted with acrylic patina color and grey

the solder is tin color paint 

the stacks are plastic square tube that I cut lengthwise and glued to make it rectangle

i painted with tin and will be adding black wash and bit of rust dry brush, probably

I included a photo of the current state with deck furniture etc sitting there

i will return to the davits and also figure out the position of supports for boat deck and tryworks shelter 

On 2/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, rookie said:

Thanks Dave

models give something to do once in a while

😉

B9C3AE69-DEA6-4E12-BAB5-6F036B821F23.jpeg

C7853006-70BA-4FB5-A859-F25049B896FA.jpeg

5809A02A-1029-44D3-A4B5-AC4F3008D979.jpeg

8D12286F-1A02-4391-89B9-25D4B0D5ECAC.jpeg

8A67B3C0-5424-4A23-88E9-14C715CBA252.jpeg