Sovereign of the Seas by Denis R - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:78 scale

Hi Kevin

I just had a look at the  calico that I have washed twice ( but not ironed yet ) and also got one of the SOS sails out so I can compare the two, I would have to say the calico is only just a bit thicker than the SOS sails ( like I said not ironed yet ).

As the larger sails will be cut down to 1 third of the SOS sails I don't think there will be a problem with the weight of the new calico.

So going on what you are saying the calico may be a medium weight.

I can send you a sample if you like.

Denis.

thank you, but at the moment i am not contemplating purchasing the material, just looking but thank you for the offer anyway

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

gee Denis.......going through your log,  I get the feel of the old addage......"we are our own worst critics".   but the pictures tell a different story all together....you've actually done a very nice looking build ;)   the price you paid for the kit......the way you handled the printed laid out decking {other folks would have had a cow over that},  the problems with the stern windows and how the transon shell seems to cover them over quite nicely,  ........the life boat issue.......the hand rails  {I like them, by the way}......among other pratfalls you've encountered.  you've faired them well and made them shine.......the overall build is superb.   I look at all of that brass decoration in awe.......very well done!  ;)

I have seen your build on the old MSW.......I knew I had seen your name before.......so glad to see your back.  it's been hard,  finding and setting up my old watch list.........I know your build was among them.  now that I have commented,  it is back in my list......I can now enjoy as you finish this fine lady.........it's the eye candy that makes me fat and happy!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi All

I said I was going to have a go at making the sails.

Well my sewing machine arrived the other day.

This is the start of the Foremast yard sail, as all the sails are going to be furled I have cut it down to 60 cm + 10 cm on each side for the hem .

The original sail is 150 cm.

Just got to find the nerve to sew it now ha ha .

Denis

post-303-0-75546400-1379136080_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Sorry I am back but forgot to say I have not cut the lower hem off yet as I wish to know what yard they go on.

Will cut them off when the time comes.

Denis.

post-303-0-25342100-1379138382_thumb.jpg

are you good at ironing as well.  I've never done the furled sail approach.  I can't quite remember which line actually does the haul,  whether it's the bunt or leech lines,  but on a ship this size,  I wonder if it's doable to portray this operation being done.  however you do this Den........it's going to look sweet on the build.    one thing I have learned though,  is the fold materal should be a bit shorter,  in order to make a narrower hem.  the ends should also be beveled,  so it will mate the following folds without overlap.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Brian.

No I have not used any of the ropes supplied with the kit at all.

Got all the ropes from Modellers Shipyard in Australia v his outlet in NZ.

All materials like glue, wood and rope come from them.

I have to say they are a good shop to deal with.

Denis

Hi Brian

Don't quote me on this OK.

But I think Gary ( Modellers Shipyard )  wanted an outlet in NZ ,

So Model ship Supplies started to supply  materials + kits from Modellers Shipyard Australia.

And I have got to say Tony ( Model Ship Supplies ) is so helpful you could not wish for a better supplier in NZ.

Denis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I said I was going to have a go at making my own sails.

But before I carry on I would like to take my hat off to all the ladies and gentlemen that can master the art of sewing.

This is my first attempt, its the fore mast top sail ( thought I would try a small sail first ) I have to stain and stitch a bulk rope to the top of the sail, after that stitch the sail to the yard then furl it.

Denis.

post-303-0-27329200-1380522626_thumb.jpg

they are actually really fun to make,  once you've done a couple.  looks pretty good Denis ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye

Thank you, I will not give up on the sail making as when my wife got home from work I said will you have ago as I am making a bit of a mess of this, she said you are on your own its your build get on with it ( bugger ) ha ha.

Denis.

can't get mine to do it either ;)   I might suggest though,  that if it's at all possible,  to make all the sails before you start working with them.

you may find that,  as you get more comfortable with making them......you might become dissatisfied with the first ones you made,  and may elect to redo them.   it would be sad to hear that you had to tear anything apart :(

I need to get busy on the sails for my friend's bluenose.   I have them all cut out....they need to be sewn and treated with diluted white glue, to stiffen them up.   he lives in Canada.......and runs a plastic modeling forum.........he has cancer,  and has stopped working on the ship.

one of these days,  I'll get surprised with a box in the mail.......long story :(

so,  yea,  I'm in the same boat as you are.......pretty much on my own with sail making........although,  she reserves the right to suggest colors ....hee....hee

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Edwin

Long time no talk nice to see you back.

Been sorting mothers will out ( still going on and on ).

As you can see I have attempted to do my own sails, as well as getting all the deadeyes for the crows nest ready .

Talk to you soon my friend.

Denis.

you did a super job with the yard and sail..........it looks very nice ;)    onward and upward :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye

Thank you.

But when I cut more sails out I think I will add an extra 20mm.

I cut them down to one third of the full sail, so will add the extra 20mm they should look a lot better.

Denis.

well done- im watching your progress although i will have my wife doing the sewing, the shear dread of me even thinking of using her machine - lol

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I bought one for the admiral.........so far I've used it more than her :D :D      adding the extra materal would look good on the larger sails.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

Well done on the sail.  Looks very realistic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark 

Thank you.

I am now working on the fore mast lower yard, the foot ropes are 30mm at the widest point.

The sail I made is only 45mm so will have to make a new one at about 60mm wide.

I will not scrap the sail, just cut the length down so it fits the next yard up.

Denis.

Hi Edwin

Answer no, no and no again, this is the first and last time at sewing ( do you want my sewing machine after I have finished ha ha :D  ).

I have asked the Admiral about 10 times to help me out but all I get is ON YOUR BIKE son shine.

Did you say you have the SOS ( as I am sure you said on one log that you have had it for 17 years , or am I wrong ).

Have you tried to put photos on yet !!!!!!.

Talk soon.

Denis.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Denis, yes your right sos is on the shelf,no camera yet,very limited time at the moment, you know what I mean , but saving info from you and the sos builders,pretty soon will have a dockyard full of virtual eager builders,so thanks your build is first class.regards to the Admiral

super work Denis......you gotta love the jungle of ropes....until they are all tied down  ;)   nice!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

lovely work my friend

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished