Canvas Covered Whaleboats/Cutters

Hello all  :) here's my inquiry; Does anyone know of a technique and or material source for canvas covering the ship's boats?  I've gone through all of the U-Tube stuff and picked through the threads here. I believe there must be someone out there that has done this. 

My project is the Housatonic. (Ship sunk by the US Civil War submarine Hunley). It's 1:64 scale scratch built and I am near completion. I have a detailed steam launch and a dinghy. To streamline the project I'd like to display the other 4 cutters and whaleboats canvas covered with reasonable detail. 

Anyone, any thoughts?  Thank You. 

I only speak from recent experience in working with silkspan for sails, so not sure this is a great idea.  Tape the silkspan to a stretcher frame and then wet it thoroughly and allow to dry which will shrink it tight.  Then paint while it is still taped to the stretcher frame.  Use whatever  the color that you want using a good quality tubed acrylic artist paint.  I like to thin  it with one part water to 3 parts paint.  It will sag but then retighten when dry.  Once dry, draw the shapes you need and cut the pieces and cover the boat.  Once covered as reasonably tight as you can without tearing, (it may have few wrinkles) and secured with a waterproof adhesive or even small pieces of tape, apply matte medium and it should shrink tight on the boat.  The matte medium will act as an adhesive as well.  Then remove the tape if that is what you used.  I use painters masking tape as it can be removed without tearing the silkspan. Might worth a try.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Silkspan, either in Northamerican understanding (silk paper) or European understanding (silk cloth), would have also been my suggestion. Military modeller use for tarpaulines in the likes also tissue paper: steam-iron out all embossments and stiffen it with acrylic or other varnish. Cut out the pattern and drape it over the boat. It may be better to use solvent-based varnish, as this can be softened for more compliant draping. Paint as required. These boat-covers had usually triangular flaps with eyelets sewn on, through which a rope would be roved to tie down the cover.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Not sure if it is of help but my last boat had a canvas deck. I used cotton cloth, stretched it, soaked it with diluted PVA (couple of hands), then lightly sanded it and then painted it. Came out pretty good.

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Eberhard,  I could not get it to open.   Thanks

Me too. Message translates as:

You do not have permission to download this file attachment.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold