Emma C Berry by Maury S - 1:48 scale - POF rigged as schooner

With the well constructed, I've moved on to installing the main deck beams.

ECB2_Well6.thumb.jpg.233be36853ad3dd08a3cf04405fbcadd.jpg

Same procedure with shaping the ends of the beam to account for keeping the face plumb and the beam resting fully on the clamp.

Maury

The main deck beams are all installed.  Next are the carlings and the minor beams.

ECB2_DeckBeams1.thumb.jpg.7690c2e4826ad839e2320ffa2400e624.jpg

ECB2_DeckBeams2.thumb.jpg.039e646977838772960bba9dfc333a33.jpg

Maury

Fine work Maury...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the shipyard after some traveling...the carlings are in, the mast partners are drilled (a bit over-sized) centered and glued and I've started on the knees on the port side. The knees are one-piece.  The mated pairs are just scored with a sharp pencil.  They may not be visible, but maybe... No issues to describe along the way.

ECB2_Knees1.thumb.jpg.80ce4f15db8aaa20849b7ad992f18579.jpg

Maury

The deck beams and carlings are in on the starboard side.  Covering boards are cut.  They are each in two pieces.  To make sure they fit the boat as built, I held a piece of card stock on the deck and marked the edge of each frame top.  I used that pattern to make sure the scarph joint was properly fit and the covering boards matched the frames.

ECB2_CovBd1.jpg.f251c94648b849a37ef0b8810c38564e.jpg

They lay well on the deck Not glued yet.

732279757_ECB2_Coveringbd.jpg.41e9eb28b7a777241082bd6c4fa31a58.jpg

The marked holes for the bulwark stanchions will have to be individually cut or drilled out. Some adjustment had to be made as some of the holes per plan plan are situated on top of a frame.  They must fit between frames.   Stanchions will be .083"wide x .0625" thick. (4"  x 3").

Maury

Re:  Drilling the holes with the mill...

That's the plan.  I'll use the Sensitive Drilling Attachment and drill a small hole at the corner of each stanchion hole then bore out the centers.  We'll see how that goes later today.  I guess I could use the jewelers drill press as well.

Maury

Edited by Maury S

Maury that's a lot of accurately place holes. I've had a similar problem with stanchions where I drilled a pilot hole the dia of the stanchion and then squaring them with a square swiss file. If your stanchions are rectangular keep working the edge to elongate. Keep in mind files only cut in one direction so the going is slow and I used a #0 cut file to prevent exit edge breakout. Just how I did mine but hope all works out.

The work your doing is looking good and it showing on how well ECB is coming along. 

On a side not I'll be in Mystic next month  and am working on getting aboard ECB. So far they have not said no and I'll seep trying.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Slow progress.  I used the Sensitive Drill Attachment on the mill to drill the corners of each hole.  Then I used a #11 knife to connect the holes and then a swills file to square them up.  The holes are rectangular and I made a dummy stanchion to the proper size and file until it fits snug.

ECB2_BulHoles1.thumb.jpg.31e906fc7b9fa5162902270dbcc7fcb3.jpg

ECB2_BulHoles2.thumb.jpg.f678e0c323086572c390c8c4a6656e07.jpg

As you can see above, I had to relocate some of the holes because of frame tops.  Very slow delicate work but coming along.

Maury

The port side covering board is being glued in place.  The outside edge of the stanchion hole has to line up with the outer edge of the frames.  I set a temporary stringer along the frames and inserted temp. stanchions in the holes that butted up against the stringer to make sure the alignment was OK.

ECB2_CoveringBd2.thumb.jpg.c81677fb1d115a91fb6b7c3cc6a81b68.jpg

Maury

Now that the covering boards are done, she gets taken off the building board to start work on the planking.  First step is to define the three belts on each side.  The Lankford plans have a planking layout so it made the process easier.  I marked the bands at the stem, the transom and at the dead-flat frame (#13).  I then laid a black thread connecting the three points and fiddled with them at each frame until they looked fair from all directions.  Diluted glue on the thread at the frames makes "rolling" the thread into place easier.  Hat Tip David Antscherl.

ECB2_Lining1.jpg.7bb866bc001aaa1b556a96d0661f5fc0.jpg

ECB2_Lining3.jpg.b7dd0ee71e2a8358643b7d0028218ff8.jpg

ECB2_Lining4.jpg.c6eebfa55e1bdedea1bea364bda745b3.jpg

I'll have to look at it a few more times to make sure the lines are fair.

Maury

ECB2_Lining2.jpg

I'm waiting on delivery of some 1/32 bass wood I can use for patterns for the garboard.  In the mean time, I'm working on the spar dimensions.  I have dozens of photographs of the her as a schooner between 1930 and 1940.  None before that.  With a number of shots of her side-on I can get the height of the main and fore masts and compare them with the over-all length (which is a known number).  The Lankford plans have the sloop-rigged mast at about 48.5 feet, or 105% of the LOA.  The photos as a schooner put the main mast at 38.25' or about 83% of the LOA,  the Fore mast at 35.25', the top mast at 18.25' and the bowsprit shortened to 14.15' outboard, down from 17.5'.  Some later photos show her with a jib boom, which I will not install.

Maury

Pattern for garboard plank.  I have much better luck using bass wood for patterns rather than card stock (I can fine tune by sanding).  2nd attempt came out well enough to transfer to Box wood.  Some tapering first.  No edge bending on this one, but plenty of twisting.

ECB2_Garboard-Pattern1.thumb.jpg.4f7d308d5231605d6fee317cf27926e9.jpg

ECB2_Garboard-Pattern2.thumb.jpg.54283f7c42459a212bb5da4d76375374.jpg

Maury

good idea to using basswood. I also have trouble with card stock patterns with things beyond planking.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Your model is looking great! When I built my ECB kit I started with the garboard strake on the starboard side but on the port side started the planking above the garboard according to the frame lines and worked my way down to it and found it much easier to shape and fit the garboard then as the upper planks are less complex in terms of twisting etc.. I twisted and shaped the garboard to approximate shape and incrementally trimmed it to a proper fit. Both sides turned out completely to my satisfaction. It was much easier to shape and trim the garboard to fit the existing space. Both sides were done according to plans.

Edited by turangi

The garboard plank took some spiling to get it to lay properly and it now lines up with the planking plan.  The good thing about the plan is that it puts the forward end of the plank at the correct place so you don't get plank creep up the stem.  The plank is about 50% wider than an even spacing in the band.

ECB2_Garb1.jpg.0a4fee36f575f7c5e42c02ed5350e3ba.jpg

The strings are no longer in place.

Maury

Interesting result after your basswood pattern. Looks good. I like the comments of two different approaches to the garboard strake.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Planking continues...Each plank is spiled.  A piece of sacrificial bass is laid along the prior plank and marked with a compass to determine the shape.  The edge is cut and sanded so that it butts perfectly.  That piece is used as a pattern to cut the box wood.  Once the box wood fits properly, the frames are marked and the (tick strip) measured width is transferred to the wood.  It is cut and sanded until everything lines up.  Then heat-bent to shape and glued in.

ECB2_Spiling1.jpg.0840c74d2eef47b2b9528559f64195b1.jpg

Rough cut box wood is shown prior to final fitting.

ECB2_Spiling2.jpg.183771eb8ea551f83df6606f75871cfd.jpg

Finished shape laid on frames.

ECB2_Spiling3.jpg.f57c6a7f6a5c46d50b76267859537d21.jpg

ECB2_Spiling4.jpg.d3817cc6eeb2cc7ef94fb2166046332a.jpg

Glued in place.  The planks are tapered between 0.11" and .078".  Even with all that prep, hairline gaps occasionally appear.  What may appear as larger gaps are in fact shadows between planks that will disappear after sanding.  Seventeen more strakes (on each side) to go.

Maury

The "C" band of planking is complete.

ECB2_BandC1.jpg.c212cd65dafc19f21093417f5a4503d7.jpg

ECB2_BandC2.jpg.59fa17f791733e9eee53857629f621e6.jpg

ECB2_BandC3.jpg.ef657d004ef629680827ed466b96cc1c.jpg

The line of the top strake appears fair from all viewpoints.

Maury

Damage in the boatyard.  I dropped the boat and the stem broke right along the rabbet.  Seems tight when putting it back in place.  We'll see.

ECB2_Stem-broken.thumb.jpg.1450950bd114809a626236a067dbac93.jpg

Maury

Oh! so bad. I know how it hurts and am hoping your fix will be perfect and you can proceed. Best of luck.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Here's hoping also that everything goes back together well.  bth_my_fingers.gif.a7800ec4bb3bf2dffdad14a92028abd9.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)