Emma C Berry by Maury S - 1:48 scale - POF rigged as schooner

It's been over 24 hours since the glue repair and I've put in another strake at the bow.  So far, so good.  I just have to remember to never put the boat upside down with the stem touching the table.  That's always going to be a potential for trouble.

Maury

Glad its holding.  I've been using a piece of 3" thick foam rubber cut to fit inside the bulwarks to protect the stem and make a firm steady working medium. I buy the foam at a fabric store and its normal use is seat cushioning.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

With that style of stem I temporarily glue a block of wood amidships on the bulwark top so that, when inverted, the stemhead is clear of the work surface.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Checking on the fairness of the planking runs...

ECB2_Plank-run1.thumb.jpg.b95ec1d59a05ccb901edcc35329253b8.jpg

ECB2_PlankRun2.thumb.jpg.626b5ec349fa6c3da0579e2c2d14b2a9.jpg

Fuzzy pics. but the lines are fair from many angles.  After two of seven strakes in the middle band, I've re-measured for width and have made adjustments (a few thousands of an inch) here and there.  The stem repair is holding for now.

Maury

Druxey, Thanks for the tip re. the protective block(s).  I glued a couple of MDF blocks to the covering board to protect the stem head.ECB2_Protect-bloccks.thumb.jpg.faa6b6d70fb6485cefe012d1869ac801.jpg

Maury

The use of MDF was a mistake.  The fibers do not glue well.  They got knocked off easily.  Replaced with wood.

ECB2_blocks.thumb.jpg.28b6b5594f2267da88082fbda1c563bd.jpg

Maury

I like the way you've joggled the aft hood ends of the garboard strakes where they end on the deadwood.  A clever way to avoid them ending in a point, that would be difficult / impossible to caulk properly. 

I'm intrigued to see a deadwood stern on an American vessel. They were common on a ship type I have a particular interest in here in Australia (pearling luggers) but I can't recall seeing them much anywhere else.  They have always struck me as a bit of a "lazy man's" approach the framing and planking the stern, much easier to both frame and plank, but perhaps not quite as efficient a hydrodynamic shape compared to the more typical "wineglass" shape that is planked down to the heel of the sternpost.

Tony, re. deadwood stern;  I don't know how widely used the design was, but the "Noank built boats" were all quite similar.  Nibbed  planking at the stern is right off the plan set derived at Mystic.

Maury

Planking continues...I am finishing the A band (upper) before completing the B band (middle).  This way, if there are any flaws in the final plank spiling they will not be visible when displayed.

ECB2_Spiling.jpg.7d199ba6bfebdcb48de3019b452d8225.jpg

ECB2_Planking-cont.jpg.36c4649c05f34ffcd4abb10601070bdc.jpg

Maury

Planking is nearing completion.  Regardless of the best laid plans, some stealers were necessary amidships.  Below is the plank that is part that goes from 2 planks to three.  This piece goes from about .085" to .125" at the joint where 2 becomes 3.

ECB_Stealer1.thumb.jpg.52a3394bc5b79c65c609d9d938118d05.jpg

With its mated pair, the third plank will go between the two shown.

ECB2_Stealer2.thumb.jpg.8bfa2c1af7f2215740655096f4efaaf4.jpg

Below is the port side (inverted) fully planked with the stealer in place.

ECB2_Stealer3.thumb.jpg.42ec50d757e1da90dbcf09386247c004.jpg

The final strakes will be done on the starboard side and sanding will commence.  Can't take too much off since I started with 1/32" stock.

Maury

Edited by Maury S

Before deck planking goes in, I need to do the coamings for the cabin, the wet well and the hatch.  I cut blocks from scrap that fit the openings and used them a a form for holding the coamings pieces.  They are 5" tall, 3" wide and the joints are lapped.

ECB2_Coamings1.thumb.jpg.d69e7fc378c919c4f50b4d1604a55dac.jpg

Once the glue has set, I used the same forms to hold the coamings while I sanded off the stub ends.

ECB2_Coamins2.thumb.jpg.22ff6c8c435dfa6557fd14f1cd3830a2.jpg

Maury

The only opening that has grating is the wet well.  Everything was done on the Byrnes table saw.  Started out with a 1/16" piece about 1.75" sq.  The blade thickness is .057" with is about 2 3/4" at scale. I cut a shim 2x the blade width.  First cross-cut dado is near the edge and about 1/32" deep.  I left it sitting on the blade and moved the fence out the thickness of the shim and tightened down the fence.  Second cross-cut made and the re-set of the fence repeated about 12 times.  I then ripped the dadoed piece into strips the width of the blade.

Battens were cut the width of the dados and sanded to about .04" thick which leaves them about .02" proud.  To set the spacing I put 7 dadoed strips onto two inverted strips that held them at the correct spacing.  Then the battens were glued in the slots and clamped while the glue set.

ECB2Grates1.thumb.jpg.79667c5c971ac6a9d7232695503778c1.jpg

The battens will be sanded flush with the tops of the dadoed pieces and the edges finished.  The explanation is a bit simpler than the execution.  I chose a saw blade after a bunch of calculations of spacing and working with little pieces while holding everything square can be challenging.

Maury

Edges of grating finished.

ECB2_Grate2.thumb.jpg.6a7f74a3faff4c779f033f78c5febdeb.jpg

Both the coamings and the grate are to be oiled.

Maury

1 hour ago, Chief Mark said:

Maury S,

What does POF stand for?  

Thank you,

Chief Mark

POF = Plank on Frame    POB = Plank on Bulkhead.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

King plank made and installed.

ECB2_KingPlank.thumb.jpg.2ed5e9cc6a7cdd6326e95dfa9fd1e770.jpg

Maury

Druxey, the plan shows four strakes in the "king plank".  It is 50% thicker than the surrounding planking.

Maury

Randy Biddle pointed out a hatch out-of-square.  Back to the ISO bottle.

Plan showing "king plank".

ECB2_KingPlankPlan.thumb.jpg.7119b55863241c765a3d7651859cb5ff.jpg

The measurements shown are in 1:32 scale.  Multiply by .667 to get to 1:48.

Maury

Yes, I believe you are right about the 3 planks making up "the king plank". What appears to be two in the center is actually one with the center line down the middle. 

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Sea Hoss is correct: the center line is simply that - a center line, not a seam, as there are breaks in it at intervals. The king plank is very wide.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I was at Mystic Seaport a week ago.  I wasn't specifically taking king plank pictures, but did get the section in Maury's plan in one of my photos.  As restored, there is one wide central plank with a narrower adjacent one on either side, exactly as in the plan.

king plank.jpg

Edited by davec

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

So the plan may show one wider and two narrower planks (The centerline shown, not the center of four planks.)

Hatches re-done.    They are within 2 /1000s of square.  They are just set in place...and one of the carlings is ever so slightly out of alignment.  It will be planked over.Cabin finished, but top not yet painted and doors not yet made.

ECB2_Cabin4.thumb.jpg.a97cc789e0977ab802b1b97fdf134480.jpg

ECB2_Cabin1.thumb.jpg.2f71cfd043fc4d22f32f155005538c70.jpg

Maury

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the shipyard.  The covering board top and edges are painted "Cream".  Four coats of thinned paint.  I painted them before any more deck planking went on.

ECB2_CoverBd1.thumb.jpg.b57011bec2594d26829ad232dd7d60dd.jpg

Deck planking is 2" x 4" and oiled.  I cut the planks on the Byrnes table saw and stained with an alcohol stain from Micro-Mark.  Four or five coats and a wipe with some graphite brought them to the right color.  BTW, this pretty much matches the color of the deck on the boat in Mystic.

ECB2_DeckPlanking1.thumb.jpg.04db8593a02558823f89641fff1f73ed.jpg

Hopefully this will be enough.

Maury

I like the work you're doing its coming along beautifully. I only wonder if the grey deck is not brown/grey enough. A couple photos of the Charles W. Morgan deck for reference.

Deck when dry

8719972_orig.jpg.9bdd39ba9b8821b521d83fd9b1a2fbb8.jpg

Deck wet from a rainy day

4300753_orig.jpg.fa442fc16f9dbfe7e5dfa29bea7584c5.jpg

I hope I'm not being to critical.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild