Emma C Berry by Maury S - 1:48 scale - POF rigged as schooner

Yes.  Grommets are just paint dots, drilled through (hat tip Druxey). They will be mostly obscured once the sails are furled.  I played with folding a sample (practice) sail and I think it will come out fine...we'll see. Connecting the sails to the mast hoops will be a challenge.

Maury

Edited by Maury S

Serving the shrouds:  I have been using Syren's Serv-o-Matic for years now. The only modification I've done is to put a key into every place where the brass tube goes into the gear to prevent slipping.  Easy to use, and I can only do about an hour at a time due to eye focus strain.  I run the serving thread through the rope (with a needle) near the left side, tie a couple of overhand knots, then serve to the right. The rope is held in the tube with alligator clips (with heat-shrink tubes over the teeth). I make sure the serving is going the opposite lay of the rope threads and maintain a mild tension on the serving thread.

ECB2_Serving.thumb.jpg.d183f0f15e7b7b66e29a61054a2c8017.jpg

Maury

BTW, regarding the tiny nuts and bolts blackening...The nickel blackening solution does not blacken the bolts.  I can use paint.

Maury

Re. material... the bolts react to a magnet.  They contain some iron, obviously.  Could be some version of stainless.  I had hoped BlueJacket's nickel blackener might work, but NO.  Any other ideas are appreciated.

Maury

8 hours ago, Maury S said:

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Maury

I found that the cannon black acrylic paint sold by Model Shipways is very close to the black obtained by the chemical reaction. It is almost impossible to distinguish them from one  another. I have used the acrylic paint, in some places where the chemical reaction with the brass did not take place and I am very happy with the result.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Yves, Thank you.  That is my next choice.  I have a jar in my collection.

Maury

• 4 weeks later...

It's time to take her off the building board.  The support system is a pair of cradles similar to the cradles for my Centerboard Schooner  Post 302 March 21, 2021.

CCHASE_Cradle.jpg.7fc6c1248eb7f250f452b3c2ef757869.jpg

I start by tracing the #4 and #17 frames from the plan sheet and transferring that pattern to card stock for rough fitting.  The lower part of the frame is close to the shape of the hull at the points where the embedded nuts are located.  After that, I copy the shape to some 1/32" box for final shaping.  Since the ECB is built on a sloped jig, I measured the distance from the top of the jig and the building board at the two mounting points and transferred that measurement from the keel slot to the bottom of the rough cradle.

ECB2_Pedestal1.jpg.7918635c35ecd1511ba0cf2e7b4c7ecf.jpgECB2_Pedestal2.jpg.fa6fd3aaeed8b6327e5a83be3c117587.jpg

ECB2_Pedestal3.jpg.e627ab2e45d2c575591c30e54d3fe586.jpg

The scroll work will be done later.

Maury

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in the shipyard for a while.  Working on lettering and scroll work for the trail boards.  The name boards and trail boards are cut from .015" laser board.  They are painted gold so the color shows through the decal. The surrounding areas will be painted flat black.  The two names on the right are still on the decal backing and have not yet been attached.

IMG_2866.thumb.jpg.aa9f1373af58b4a45da39e2142c945ac.jpg

Maury

Edited by Maury S

Druxey, I did a bunch of research into the type faces of the period.  Pretty close to the evidence we have,

Maury