Upgrade kit for 1/200 scale Mikasa pre-dreadnought model

Cal123

Does anyone know where I can buy a 1/200 scale Mikasa upgrade kit for the Hobbyboss, Merit or Trumpetter model?

My research shows that Mk1 Design made it and maybe some other manufacturers such as Pontos. The upgrade I’m after has all the PE and turned gun barrels as well as the wooden deck. 

Cal, I hope it works out and I'm glad I was able to help. 

Edited by Keith Black

• 2 months later...

Just an update about the ten week saga of trying to get hold of the Pontos Mikasa upgrade kit, in case anyone else should need one or be attempting to buy from Freetime Hobbies as an international purchaser.

Having accepted my order and taken about $300 from me early in March, I then waited a little over a month before I was told the kit was in stock. After a further week or so as they emailed it to say they had cancelled my order and refunded the money. When I asked them why I was told “there were customs issues“. I asked to speak to the manager or owner because they had told me that they could ship internationally but he never replied to my email or my request for a phone call.

In the end I found that I could order the kit from a company called Hobby Decal in South Korea for less money is then Freetime was charging and although it took a further month for the kit to arrive it has done so today. There were no customs issues and there were no value added tax charges. Hobby Decal’s website clearly explained the purchase process, shipping process and provided tracking details.

I would certainly purchase from them again but as an international customer I certainly wouldn’t ever buy anything from Freetime Hobbies

Cal, my apologies. Had I know about the poor business practices of Freetime Hobbies I obviously would never have provided the link. I'm very glad you were able to source your upgrade kit elsewhere.

Hopefully one of the NRG staff will see this and add  Freetime Hobbies to the bad source list. 

Keith in no way should you apologise - you had no idea that Freetime would have let me down and I’m grateful that you came back to me in the first place because your reply ultimately provided a successful source for the upgrade Kit.

I did just want to flag up the problems with Freetime Hobbies so that others don’t fall into the same trap that I did.

I have to say the Pontos upgrade is a most impressive package and I’m looking forward to getting underway now with the kit. I’ll post some further details once I get started

Cal, I am sorry to hear of the problems you had with Freetime Hobbies with your international order.  There was definitely a communication problem from them regarding your order.  Several members of my ship modeling Club build plastic models and they deal with Freetime and I have never heard of any problems ordering from them.  They are a supporter of the IPMS and they were a vendor at an IPMS National Convention in Virginia several years ago.  I am glad that you got your funds back from them and were able to find another source for your upgrade kit.  I hope you start a build log on your Mikasa when you start building it because it is one of my favorite ships of that era.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I've ordered more than a few times from Freetime Hobbies and never had an issue.  With the postal issues from Covid, etc., I'm not surprised that international orders are having issues (likely not a Freetime issue).

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I think you’re all missing the point. I live in the United Kingdom, you all live in the US. I’m talking about an international purchase which they couldn’t complete.  I’m sure they have no problems sending stuff within the US.  I’m only warning international customers to be careful because they let me down big time. 
I shan’t be posting any more on this topic - it’s up to everyone else to decide where they want to make purchases. 

I know there are new owners there at Freetime. They may not be well versed with shipping international.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild