HMS Bounty by Trond - Billing Boats - 1:50

I can send you a picture of the decoration from my model... I haven't installed or modified it yet.

Let me know if you're interested.

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

I would really appreciate if you guys could do that. Then I can print it out and use it as a template for the carving.

I feel that the Bounty is missing something without some kind of decoration on the aft and I've been looking at some of the discussion on the forum on how to do carving. Love a new challenge :) 

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Current Build: HMS Bounty - Billingboats

The first picture is the replica Bounty. The name usually goes under the windows as per the illustration with the flag.

24CC583E-15EE-4A45-8082-F941B85FC9A5.jpeg

BAABDE25-0AE9-4C1A-B66F-94301F98792F.jpeg

DD50B569-E790-4AD0-92B3-AA101ED9A43D.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

I'm doing some reading in the Armed transporter Bounty looking at details. When I'm reading the list on 108-112 and looking at blocks it list up size which I understand and need to convert to 1:50 scale. The one I'm having problem is type of blocks. It list up B9, B12, C, D1, H.

Can anybody tell what these codes  mean?

20210417_010102.thumb.jpg.f3259c0c3110761b64b38c45e2f5a3f0.jpg

I will hopefully start drawing the carving for the aft during the weekend and try carving.

We have nice weather outside and the wife expect a lot of work in the garden.

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

I put the question regarding interpretation of the table in a separate question under the Book forum, so hopefully someone can answer.

Since the weather here was fantastic this weekend and all my time was outside I didn't get much done, but started trying to carve for the aft decoration.

Started make a piece to carve in. The intention is to glue it on existing aft structure.

20210418_102941.thumb.jpg.b93276e9b8d8714244cee2725b8393ca.jpg

Than I started to draw on the piece.

20210418_105242.thumb.jpg.80d04768a8ca53b22903b38ea6c93c6e.jpg

Then started caving, but not easy. It is very small. I think I need to change tactic. Trial and error 🤨

20210419_100527.thumb.jpg.a2b394fe2794556aade546fe0824cf1a.jpg

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Tried something new, made a copy of the middle section onto paper and cut out a piece from some left over pieces in the kit.

20210419_205342.thumb.jpg.82090085c2a3da3ffd308636d511d718.jpg

Then it was back to cutting, filing and sanding.

20210419_224623.thumb.jpg.7689a6feed7b0c616dd9b090f97ec343.jpg

and some paint.

This was first part. Know I need to figure out the rest of the decoration. Maybe some lilies or tulips.

When one work with this, one understand the amount of time, practice and skill it takes to be good and amazing to look at the ones here in the forum that has this skill.

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Just thought I would call in and see how you are getting along. You are doing absolutely great with the Billing version of the Bounty .I really like the look of the planking of the hull and especially the stern section. I only wish I had purchaced that book of the Bounty for my build. How much information does it give on rigging? I have another book which might be of interest to you .'Historic Ship  Models, by Monfield . Which gives the different changes in construction for different times and different countries. It iwill be really great for different ship buids. Anyway keep us all posted and keep up the good work. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Thanks Dave,

Always nice with a visit and some feedback. So far it looks like the Bounty book is good regarding rigging, but will see when I get there. One thing is for sure it is a million times better then the instruction/drawing in the kit. I also got good help on the forum for helping me out on some question regarding understanding the rigging tables. I think the Armed transport Bounty in combination with Masting and rigging by Harold Underhill and Steel's elements of mastmaking, sailmaking and rigging should pull me through a good rigging of the ship. Now I only need to read through them 🧐. I've started, but there is a lot of information, going forth and back to understand how a ship is build and works. Getting there slowly.

I just watched Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World with Russel Crowe and I defiantly saw the movie in a new perspective after have learn more about ships and how they work.

The book you suggested will be on my list down the road, but first need to go through my other books. 

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

3 hours ago, Trond said:

Thanks Dave,

Always nice with a visit and some feedback. So far it looks like the Bounty book is good regarding rigging, but will see when I get there. One thing is for sure it is a million times better then the instruction/drawing in the kit. I also got good help on the forum for helping me out on some question regarding understanding the rigging tables. I think the Armed transport Bounty in combination with Masting and rigging by Harold Underhill and Steel's elements of mastmaking, sailmaking and rigging should pull me through a good rigging of the ship. Now I only need to read through them 🧐. I've started, but there is a lot of information, going forth and back to understand how a ship is build and works. Getting there slowly.

I just watched Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World with Russel Crowe and I defiantly saw the movie in a new perspective after have learn more about ships and how they work.

The book you suggested will be on my list down the road, but first need to go through my other books. Definately a great movie with Russel |Crowe first time around. I might give it another go. Also watched the TV series HMS Terror but thought that one was a bit too far fetched. Good luck with your build.

Did some more test on decoration and how to do it. But first I painted the aft beam where decoration will be glued on. I continued with black and gold.

20210420_192928.thumb.jpg.bf699050e1b75d1986e7a76e5ed0b1da.jpg

I decided on a tulip shape and I think it will work. First I made some rough drawings on thin box wood plate and cut it out. Than it was sanding and filing. 

20210420_221028.thumb.jpg.4f87338593e5136dd9f7d65880a152a7.jpg

Lost on during painting. Holding it to hard with twicer and it pop out and landed somewhere in the room. These pieces are small.

Here you see my plan for installing it on the ship.

20210420_232130.thumb.jpg.fa4e56fcbc5e9623c4d40dc4941a9e90.jpg

I don't know if I need some kind of "tread" binding the pieces together or if it will look ok. Any suggestion? Only problem is how to do it.

So I will continue with make pieces for the other side and use some sticky past (in Norwegian it is called teacher glue) and try it on.

20210420_234511.thumb.jpg.65f566fe7f5d8f39182e86142a8a6c17.jpg

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Nice job on the carving. I don't know how you're going to attach to a vertical surface? If you were applying them on a flat surface your life would be so much easier. I quit using tweezers on small pieces, they invariably fly off into space lost to the world. 

Edited by Keith Black

I know how you feel I have spent a lot of time on my hands and knees looking for pins, cannon bals and 2 mm blocks as well as many other items. I  agree with Keith regarding tweezers and only use them for the brass rings and the rigging.Nice work on those windows by the way. Best regards Dave

Finished all the small parts and glued everything on. My next build I will do decoration differently, but compared to what the kit had (nothing) I'm happy.

20210421_230045.thumb.jpg.5c41919e4d466f6a489c56fb806ac8f8.jpg

So the next action will be making the name BOUNTY. I've seen two variations; bellow and above the window. I think I will go for above, but will do some printing and see which version is "best". I see that McKay in his book has placed the name bellow the window and the Bounty replica has it above. 

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

The weekend is over and it's back to building. Nice weather weary often end up in working in the garden or at the cabin.

I've been working with where to place the Bounty name and size.

Tried under, but it is very small and than I cut some out in wood and placed over, but I think it is to bulky.

20210427_222811.thumb.jpg.d6c171ea3818e98085482b8b20223988.jpg

Any suggestion out there?

The letters also didn't turn out to good. I need to do some more thinking and trying.

Instead I finished the side windows and glued them on.

That was a more pleasant experience.

20210427_223549.thumb.jpg.82504a70b77bf7673cb7b9ebea89aaed.jpg 

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

I think it looks good... maybe a little refinement on the letters but overall, good!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

1 hour ago, Trond said:

Any suggestion out there?

Trond, a little more than half as big but no more than three quarters as big is what my eye is telling me for what it's worth. The most important is it has to please you! Good work. 

Thanks AJohnson,

I don't know if it is deliberate from Billingboats or just cutting down cost, but there is a lot missing or wrong items on the kit. So I want to make it as good/correct as possible, which mean scratch building with help from this great community.

In Norwegian there is a saying "Alle god ting er tre", which translate to roughly "'The third time you'll get it right".

After two failure I got it on the third time. I printed different sizes and spacing between letters and ended up on 15 Calibri in Word with a space between each letter. It could maybe be better with one size smaller, but dam it is difficult cutting out letters in that size. In the aftermath I should have use a much harder wood for the carving of letters. Note to self for next time.

I started with a wood from the kit and glued on the  printed letter.

20210430_201101.thumb.jpg.a4036838955f0af99f1cc76e1c0705a6.jpg

and started carving.

And here is the result finished carved, painted and glued on.

20210501_003357.thumb.jpg.1112c03ab13cca7024d276e89cfe6371.jpg

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Thanks for nice word guys.

What to do next?

I'm not sure I can or will add on these side carving and make it look good.

carving1b.thumb.jpg.a4b2ce070b93151c0827558ffe7deeb7.jpg

since I'm missing this part on my aft carving. Will do some thinking and testing before I do this carving.

In the mean time I was looking into doing the bow detail, and daaam here we go again on kit errors.

detail2.thumb.jpg.4a73f747a52f2a105eba8df7f23fe947.jpg

1. The blue line represent the piece (not able to make it stay long enough to take picture with) that is suppose to fit into the both frames on bow

2. The piece with the circle and X on is from my understanding where the anchor rope is suppose to go through and that is bellow deck level

3. Both pieces that go from the hull to the bow are suppose to be bent. When you look closer on the wood piece it consist of 3 pieces glue together, which mean I cant put on water for bending.

4. Look at the bellow drawings and you see errors between the A1 drawing(top) and instruction drawing bellow.

20210502_101944.thumb.jpg.a0084118dc54f4f454f55ad785c92170.jpg20210502_101239.thumb.jpg.165d18425fdb2387db297f41fb7a3505.jpg

And when I compare all this to the book Armed Transporter Bounty it looks like this.

20210502_113742.thumb.jpg.0e8969673612c5ba9edddec234c0b9ed.jpg

So in the end I will need to re-think the building and focus on what is in the book. 

I've been on several logs in the forum, but cant actually see where/how the anchor rope go from deck and on to the anchor. If this hole is used for the anchor rope, then I hope for some suggestion on how I can fix my problem with this.

In the mean time I will do the deck planking while I do some thinking on my above problems.

20210502_101341.jpg

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

4 hours ago, Trond said:

Both pieces that go from the hull to the bow are suppose to be bent. When you look closer on the wood piece it consist of 3 pieces glue together, which mean I cant put on water for bending.

Trond, it appears they have to be sanded to shape. It's either sand to shape or make your own pieces.