Hi, from an absolute rookie from Barcelona

Hi everybody,

My name is Pascual, i'm in my late 50's and live in a small town close to Barcelona (Catalonia), Spain. 

( from there the nickname)

I'm a complete rookie in wood ship modelling, even i made some plastic kits in my youth, so i have a lot to learn (almost everything).

I hope i would be able to achive a good entry level in next future with all your help, even i think that probably i will make a lot of mistakes and nowadays i haven't got any skills in wood ship modelling.

Already have got two kit models 10-15 years old wich were a gift several years ago, still on their boxes: 

- Palma Nova from manufacturer Artesania Latina

- Albatros from manufacturer Constructo

It seems to me that Palma Nova would be a good first step so i probably would begin with it.

It's a pleasure to be able to share this fantastic forum with everybody and learn from experienced modellers all over the world.

I already read several build logs from the forum and try to learn from them.

I'm deligthed for the work of Vanguard Models in the Speedy and The Duchess of Kingston and only hope i would be able in the future to make this kits when i will increase my skills to do a decent job on them.

Best regards from Barcelona, Pascual.

Hello Pascual and a warm welcome from the UK.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Pascual. Welcome and best of luck on your first project. May I suggest to look at the "More" menu at the top tool ribbon on this site. Is has some really good articles incuding about planking. Your boat looks like a great one to practice that.

Mike

Hi Pascual and welcome to Model Ship World.  The Palma Nova looks like a good kit for your first wooden ship model.  Before you know it, you will be building the Vanguard kits that you mentioned.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

welcome to MSW, good luck with your build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Pascual and a warm welcome from the US.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Pascual, welcome to MSW from another "newbie" from Baleares, I also joined recently thanks to a friend who gave me several kits, yesterday I decided to start with the first of them, San Francisco Cross Section of Latin Crafts.

I am making a compilation log that I started yesterday, I have seen that they are very useful, I encourage you to do it too.

I don't know which one to advise you, it took me a few days to decide for mine, reading a lot and looking for information. Besides, I have no experience to do it.

Best regards

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

Hello and greetings from Boston, USA. Always open to answering a question.  Have fun and happy springtime!

Thank you everybody for your warm welcome.

Sorry for the delay in my answer, this last week i haven’t got time for the forum.

I have decided that Palma Nova from Artesania Latina would be my first buid.
Following your counsels i will begin a build log.
All your comments and support would be really welcome.

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks for your welcome:

@bruce d

@JJT

@Mike_In_RI

@Jim Lad

@Ryland Craze

@Kevin

@Keith Black

@mtaylor

@Gus Martinez

@ERS Rich

@Edwardkenway

@Mike from Aus

@GrandpaPhil

I will try to begin my buil log today, but as you can see until now i didn't have too much time for the model shipbuiling or the forum.

Any comments, recomendations, or advise would be really very welcome.

Edited by BCN-Modeller

Welcome to MSW Pascual. Yes the Palma Nova looks like a good kit to begin with - an interesting vessel that should teach you many of the important shipmodelling skills, without being too complicated, but will be something to be proud of.

Yes, starting a build log is a great way to get advice and encouragement, and the people here are very friendly and helpful.

Good to have you aboard.

Steven

Thank you @Louie da fly for your kind words.

Just begining the build log and facing the first difficulties but eager to learn from them.

I know that for running, first you have to learn to walk, and for now i think i’m just crawling.

Only dreaming to be able to make something roughly similar to the nice models others members build.

Best regards from Barcelona, Pascual

Welcome Pascual! You chosen a very nice model for your first build. Once you complete the Palma Nova and, if you find that you enjoy the hobby, it will be fine for you to choose something like the Vanguard Fifie or Zulu fishing vessels. The instructions and materials are excellent and there are several very good build logs you can use for reference. 

My wife and I traveled around Spain for 10 weeks in 2015 and loved it. We traveled from Madrid to Segovia, Toledo, the Pyrenees, Catalonia, Barcelona, Seville, Granada, many Pueblos Blancos and Córdoba. It's a beautiful country with wonderful, friendly people. We hope to go again soon.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Pascual, nice to see you here!!

i'm Fernando from Cornellà, i'm happy to see more people near me, building models!

here the people is awesome! very kind, warm and collaborative so if you have any doubt sure somebody can help you. I meet here a really nice people! 

I'm making at this moment a Terror ship model, but i'm very busy at job so i'm connecting from time to time, unfortunatelly.

regards, i want to see your log and progress 👍😄

F.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 7:38 AM, BCN-Modeller said:

Hi everybody,

My name is Pascual, i'm in my late 50's and live in a small town close to Barcelona (Catalonia), Spain. 

( from there the nickname)

I'm a complete rookie in wood ship modelling, even i made some plastic kits in my youth, so i have a lot to learn (almost everything).

I hope i would be able to achive a good entry level in next future with all your help, even i think that probably i will make a lot of mistakes and nowadays i haven't got any skills in wood ship modelling.

Already have got two kit models 10-15 years old wich were a gift several years ago, still on their boxes: 

- Palma Nova from manufacturer Artesania Latina

- Albatros from manufacturer Constructo

It seems to me that Palma Nova would be a good first step so i probably would begin with it.

It's a pleasure to be able to share this fantastic forum with everybody and learn from experienced modellers all over the world.

I already read several build logs from the forum and try to learn from them.

I'm deligthed for the work of Vanguard Models in the Speedy and The Duchess of Kingston and only hope i would be able in the future to make this kits when i will increase my skills to do a decent job on them.