Brass chain, various sizes - Artscale

Brass chain - various sizes

Artscale

DSC_6498.jpg

The good folks at Artscale have sent me a few samples of their new brass chain. The samples sent are:

All chain is provided on metal spools, in 0.5 metre lengths. Each spool is packed into a clear sleeve with a product information insert. The insert is useful as it provides dimensional detail for the chain links. It's very difficult to actually review chain, so this article serves as a guide as to the size of this product and it's suitability to your own project(s). I can tell you that the chain quality is very good and will certainly find its use in my future project work. 

Chain isn't something many of us actively seek out, so here's a handy article for you to bookmark, if you need to buy something specific. Check out each link for the sizes above and you'll be taken directly to the product page.

DSC_6501.jpg

DSC_6500.jpg

DSC_6503.jpg

DSC_6502.jpg

My sincere thanks to Artscale for providing these samples to be published here at Model Ship World. Head over to their site for this and many other goodies (including coffee!)

logo.jpg

The "metal spools" this chain comes on appear to be standard sewing machine bobbins. They're sort of like clamps... you can't have too many of them if you sew or have a planetary rope making machine. Handy little buggars. They make them in plastic and metal with the metal costing more than the plastic.

For those who may have the need, I recently learned that chain like this be annealed and drawn through a hardwood draw plate to reduce its size somewhat within limits. I came across "wooden draw plates" in a commercial jewelers' supply house catalog and had never heard of them before, which sent me searching for what they are for. I learn something new every day on the internet! The wooden chain draw plates are used to make the links oval-shaped and of uniform size after round rings are formed on a mandrel, cut and joined to make round-link chain. Reducing the diameter can make the oval shape of chain links longer which may result in more realistic chain for certain periods. 

35 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

The "metal spools" this chain comes on appear to be standard sewing machine bobbins. They're sort of like clamps... you can't have too many of them if you sew or have a planetary rope making machine. Handy little buggars. They make them in plastic and metal with the metal costing more than the plastic.

For those who may have the need, I recently learned that chain like this be annealed and drawn through a hardwood draw plate to reduce its size somewhat within limits. I came across "wooden draw plates" in a commercial jewelers' supply house catalog and had never heard of them before, which sent me searching for what they are for. I learn something new every day on the internet! The wooden chain draw plates are used to make the links oval-shaped and of uniform size after round rings are formed on a mandrel, cut and joined to make round-link chain. Reducing the diameter can make the oval shape of chain links longer which may result in more realistic chain for certain periods. 

And those links also seem to be solid all round with no joint, so pulling shouldn't present a problem.

To remove that section, I had to cut right through a link.

You never know where something useful might turn up ... like not long ago I came across the finest chain I've yet to see in a 25" 'multi chain' necklace (made in China) in an ordinary sewing store.  It was bright silver in appearance, but easy enough to paint - and fine enough for the sheet chain on the yards of a 1:96 Cutty Sark or Thermopylae.  Once COVID is under wraps, there will be Bead Shows again - and some of the dealers have stock in the real tiny chain.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65