17th Century British Galley Friggot by allanyed - 1:64

I will post some photos soon of the over all model shortly, but wanted to show the cannon barrels I received yesterday.  There were both 3 pounders and 9 pounders.  As these are for 1676, I wanted to be sure the badge was correct with a rose and crown, the overall shape was appropriate for that time, including the number of rings, and the trunnions were tapered as they should be at that time, and well below the center line of the bore.    I made several of brass, made  silicone molds and cast some with resin with pretty good results for the most part.  I then thought about having them made with a 3D printer in black resin.   I have no skills in 3D drawing so was VERY LUCKY to get help from a fellow MSW member preparing STL format drawings. 

I sent these to a printer and asked to have some made in several materials including nylon, ABS, PETG and resin.  The test was only $8 including postage so very reasonable.  The resin performed much better than any of the other materials.    He then made a dozen more of the 9 pounders that I needed and six of the 3 pounders.   It is difficult to see the rose and crown badge in the photos, but I hope there is enough detail to see what can be done with3D printing.    The downside???   I have no idea how to make an STL drawing and have fidgeted with Fusion 360 for a few hours and gained a lot of frustration.   If anyone can recommend something like a Fusion 360 for Dummies or any book or tutorial or even another program in which STL drawings can be made without causing a lot of headaches, I would be grateful.   

Allan

1276521900_3Dprinted3.thumb.JPG.1fb68debf8e4221367ec78b3dd2a414e.JPG2101496453_3Dprinted2.thumb.JPG.849f17044b772cd07de3c948ec7eb045.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks David,  I am quite pleased and have some further adventures in mind with the printer.   Anyone interested in using his services feel free to email me (my email address is in my profile)  and I will reply with his particulars.  With the cost of brass and everything else sky high, these are probably the least expensive high quality cannons I have ever seen and they are by FAR the most accurate and would be so for any time period or scale if the correct drawing is submitted.   I will post in the Deck Furniture forum as well for anyone interested. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan, responded to your other post.  They look great and 3D resin printing certainly offers new opportunities for adding such nice detail to our models at a very reasonable cost.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 months later...

It has been some months but it has been busy with another 500 or 600 hours of fun (mostly)-   Best bower and bower anchors still to go on and ensign at the stern.   Stub masts are in temporarily.   The base has a faux burl finish.  I was not sure about doing this, but I am pleased with the result.   I considered a burl wood veneer  but after watching a well done video on how to make the faux finish I thought to give it try.

In studying contemporary models, the vast majority do not have the open gun port lids rigged.   I have the lids in place and with rings for the lines to open and close the lids, but I am not especially keen on adding the lines and cleats for each.   Looking at photos of about 30 or 40 contemporary models at Preble Hall, in the Navy Board Ship Models by John Franklin as well as photos in Lees'  Masting and Rigging, I only saw one model with these lines attached to the port lids.   Any thoughts on this are most welcome.

The last two pictures show a close up of the inboard side of the open port lid with the lion's face followed by the original drawing variations and the photo from which the drawings are based.

Overall I am not a fan of 1:64 scale for getting better detail in general, but the next project was started early in 2020 at 1:64 so I will go back to it and see if it gets any easier.

Allan

1733414528_Oct1821B.thumb.JPG.af072e2d16728a5dcada3c9dad30c6cf.JPG285270759_Oct1821C.thumb.JPG.730f8e822d4bbe4e668f475f799b6c62.JPG1074870651_Oct1821D.thumb.JPG.2cfe8cb8c245bc65095857aaff8bfcda.JPG684333449_Oct1821E.thumb.JPG.eed8f7fa1fc958e1b8238e5361ff323b.JPG

552987842_Oct1821A.jpg.b3ad77a4ae4d943153f65433150c5376.jpgLion face on port lid

25318241_Portlidlions.JPG.54f6fd5030d1e64c21388eaa88e02da8.JPG

Edited by allanyed

'Lion's head' ports have a very stylized rather than realistic head. After all, how many English ship painters had ever seen a real lion?

The rails  painted in blue rather than black are new to me: what reference did you use?

Overall a very lovely model, Allan, especially at the smaller scale.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the likes everyone!

David, I agree the lion's head ports were more stylized on contemporary models, but if the model builder/artist had seen a real lion on the 'net I bet they would have been more realistic 😄   In any case, your point is well taken and I do thank you.    

As to the blue rails, purely conjecture based on the below contemporary model of a Royal yacht from 1702.   This may have been repainted blue in a later repair/renovation of the model, but I would hope something this obvious would have been done as the original.  Or.... perhaps the royal yachts received the more expensive coatings, especially blue, when compared to the galley frigates even if they seem to have been named after the various kings.  In the photo, even the wales are blue which I did not follow in this build as there was question as to whether or not the wales or chain wales were painted at all.  In researching contemporary models and text during this project I think more questions were raised than answered 🤪.    

To argue against the blue rails Richard Endsor's painting of the Charles Galley shows blue on the side as on the model but gold rails.  Your point got me to thinking about this again and to satisfy myself, I did some more searching.    Drat!!!! Lo and behold, I found a painting by VdV showing her with gold cap rail.  Time to ask the client if he wants to make a change.   Not a huge job, but important none-the-less.

Thanks again

Allan1303806409_Bowphoto.jpg.8396dd4a4f5e4b4022bf0d8f1ce58df2.jpg

Impressive work Allan, a very nice model emerging here.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Oh, Allan! Look at the sloppy paint over the fore edge of the beakhead bulkhead rail. Definitely repainted, perhaps to hide worn gilding. I say gold is correct, based on the V de V painting and the remaining gilding on the above model. I suspect the other matt blue paint is also a recent fiction.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

8 minutes ago, druxey said:

Oh, Allan! Look at the sloppy paint over the fore edge of the beakhead bulkhead rail. Definitely repainted, perhaps to hide worn gilding. I say gold is correct, based on the V de V painting and the remaining gilding on the above model. I suspect the other matt blue paint is also a recent fiction.

So someone at some point said "Let's use blue. It will look pretty and confuse the heck out of modelers in the future."?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)