HMS Sphinx 1775 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Excellent.   Thanks much for the info.    Here in the states I found a matt finish acrylic varnish.    So I'll give that one a try.  I hope I can replicate at least some of the level of finish you have on your models.

And here in Wisconsin, it is very hard to find a matt finish varnish in my area.   Lots of gloss, semi gloss and satin.   But hardly any matt finish.

4 hours ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

Excellent.   Thanks much for the info.    Here in the states I found a matt finish acrylic varnish.    So I'll give that one a try.  I hope I can replicate at least some of the level of finish you have on your models.

And here in Wisconsin, it is very hard to find a matt finish varnish in my area.   Lots of gloss, semi gloss and satin.   But hardly any matt finish.

If you have a hobby shop that carries Vallejo paints, they make a matt varnish.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sphinx arrived in NZ safe and sound. Very well packaged for international travel.  Wonderful looking kit and everything ship shape. Nothing moved around and nothing broken. Very pleased. The photo etching is absolutely fantastic.   

regards

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

16 hours ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

During my Zulu build, I experimented with these three varnishes, and I ended up using the Minwax water-based Polycrylic varnish.  I think it’s terrific stuff.  Goes on a milky white, but dries perfectly clear.  It has a very nice color on the pearwood from the kit.  It has a self-leveling quality, so that you really don’t see brushstrokes after it dries.  And cleanup is easy, as it’s water based.  I recommend trying it.  I got it delivered from Amazon.  

D650B33C-8563-42A9-B2B7-58C7947492E0.jpeg

251DBC26-FE17-4FF3-AE16-2DC415FA9AC6.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

3 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

James did you varnish all the non painted wood as you built?

We’re the etched decks varnished?

thanks

Yes, I varnished as I went along.

I part-varnished the deck, excluding an inch along each side. When the cannon were glued down to the bare wood deck, I then infilled those areas in varnish. A little  time-consuming, but quite easy. I didn't want to glue anything down to an already varnished deck, for the sake of joint integrity. 

On 8/31/2021 at 6:42 PM, James H said:

Yes, I varnished as I went along.

I part-varnished the deck, excluding an inch along each side. When the cannon were glued down to the bare wood deck, I then infilled those areas in varnish. A little  time-consuming, but quite easy. I didn't want to glue anything down to an already varnished deck, for the sake of joint integrity. 

and you used Matte Varnish, right ?

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

5 minutes ago, James H said:

Yes, matt varnish on everything. 

Any particular brand ? i use mostly Vallejo, but their matt varnish doesnt want to work with airbrushes (the Satin works well tho, but then the gloss is there of course)

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

After around 5 1/2 months, HMS Sphinx is now finally complete and the updated box label and manual are with the printers for the next production run. 

This last stage has of course been the rig, but I've added a few photos too which show the stand etc. There's not too much to say at this point. You will notice that all the blocks are the optional pear set and not the standard kit parts. Here's a fe sequence shots showing yards fitted, and stays etc.

905.jpeg

906.jpeg

912.jpeg

913.jpeg

924.jpeg

925.jpeg

928.jpeg

And finally, here are the completed images. 

Hope you like her!

f1.jpeg

f5.jpeg

f3.jpg

f2.jpg

f4.jpg

f6.jpeg

f7.jpeg

f8.jpeg

Fantastic build log, James!

One of the things I love about this model is how much detail there is. At the same time, so much of the detail in the lower decks is covered up once the model is complete. Can you actually see much looking down through the main deck openings to the deck below with all the canons and the stove etc? 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Stunning @James H

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, Hubac's Historian said:

The model is first-rate, but that plastic base is lacking, IMHO.  The manufacturer should consider upgrading this, even just a little.

The stand is actually quite nice but it's difficult to capture with it being clear. I do think it's far nicer than general fare you get in kits these days....if indeed you get anything

This is just so impressive.  Wonderful job, James and Chris!  I expect that you will sell as many as you can make, Mr. Watton. :)

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

Beautiful kit Chris and a masterpiece build by James.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

43 minutes ago, James H said:

The stand is actually quite nice but it's difficult to capture with it being clear. I do think it's far nicer than general fare you get in kits these days....if indeed you get anything

Fair enough.  Pictures often don’t do justice, so I will definitely give you the benefit of the doubt.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

The finished  ship should be displayed in a  museum  with a video  tutorial  of the build  - its that good.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, AlanDavison said:

Wonderfull build, wonderful kit. All we need now are some flags. Any possibilities, Chris, James?

It is something I shall look at in the future, I need to find someone that can print in good definition and appropriate materials, yet be cheap enough not to add too much to overall kit cost.

Regarding the stand (two in each of my kits), if I put in enough options to please everyone, there wouldn't be enough room in that cavernous box for the actual kit - and then there would be a few who would still not be happy!

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook