HMS Sphinx 1775 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

As another opinion, I’m not interested in flags or stands and wouldn’t want an increased cost of the kit for something I wouldn’t use. I appreciate the stand you do provide. Actually I appreciate the nice coaster I found in the box even more. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

4 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

I second this comment. The coaster, as with the previous Vanguard kits received in a very nice touch and greatly appreciated.

yup, Coaster (i hope Christ will offer a clear Coaster with the Sphinx for sale as well, the black one got already misappropriated by my kid)

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Glad you like the coaster!

I only do these if I have enough time and after everything else is cut. Each sheet does 24 coasters, and is four and a half hours engraving/cutting time per 600x400mm sheet, as the etched hull drawing has a lot of lines and curves.

If I get time, I shall do some in the clear acetate.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

As another opinion, I’m not interested in flags or stands and wouldn’t want an increased cost of the kit for something I wouldn’t use. I appreciate the stand you do provide. Actually I appreciate the nice coaster I found in the box even more. 

Each to his own. As much as I like the coaster if I had a choice I would go for a Blue ensign, or white or red!

1 hour ago, AlanDavison said:

Each to his own. As much as I like the coaster if I had a choice I would go for a Blue ensign, or white or red!

Well, you can get a flag anywhere, the coaster is unique ;) 

Jacek

I'm quite happy with the clear acetate stand and I appreciate it being included in the kits.

I bought the beautiful stand that Chuck has available for his Medway Longboat which comes with personalized engraving. I think it's gorgeous. Chris could possibly consider designing some custom stands for his models at some point as well. I know Chuck's custom stands have been popular with modelers building his Syren kits. Just a thought...

I would also purchase flags if they were made of high quality materials. Natural looking flags of the correct era and the right scale are hard to find. The glossy, stiff, paper flags that come with a lot of kits are awful, IMO. Appropriate flags for the Vanguard models could perhaps be offered as an optional purchase just like the sails.   

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I think what I shall do is continue doing what I do. I know I will never please everyone (and the loudest critics are usually the ones who would never buy your product anyway), but I like to think I know enough as to what  most would like to see in a kit, I just think of what I would like to see in a kit that I paid my own hard earned on.

I will source flags at some point, but right now, I want to concentrate on new kits, this is where my investment money is going.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Flags can be made by the builder (Chuck describes how in his Cheerful monograph) no need for Chris to do that. Stands are builder's custom decisions and vary by builder, no need for Chris to do more than he is. Chuck is not providing a stand for Winchelsea, the crown jewel of his line at best he may provide some instruction on how to build one. There is no need for the kit price to be increased for things that we can do for ourselves in the manner we choose, and as Chris says whatever he might do would be questioned anyway - as it has been here.  I'm glad for instance Chris doesn't increase the price by including copper plating I'd never use. The same sheets can be purchased from Amati for those that want a copper bottom.

Chris is a start-up. I doubt the ROI on flags or stands is worth the effort he'd put in for limited buyers. His money is in models. He's already providing a diverse range from rowboats to frigates, that's enough. New product development has to be the singular focus of a two person start-up.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

22 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I think what I shall do is continue doing what I do. I know I will never please everyone (and the loudest critics are usually the ones who would never buy your product anyway), but I like to think I know enough as to what  most would like to see in a kit, I just think of what I would like to see in a kit that I paid my own hard earned on.

I will source flags at some point, but right now, I want to concentrate on new kits, this is where my investment money is going.

Very well put, Chris!

Uwe

45 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I think what I shall do is continue doing what I do. I know I will never please everyone

I'm super happy with what you're doing. It's fantastic! The way your models seem to be selling like hot cakes is a testament to how modelers feel about what you are doing. 👋

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

42 minutes ago, AlanDavison said:

I never thought that a suggestion for possibly including  a flag as part of a kit would raise such a strong reaction.

I wish I had never mention it.

Don't worry about it, Alan. I read your comment about flags and it is totally fine. It's obvious to me that you were just asking a question and not being trying to be critical. I think your intention may have gotten misunderstood. 

Wonderfull build, wonderful kit. All we need now are some flags. Any possibilities, Chris, James?

We're all thrilled with what Chris has been doing and with his smashing success.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

@James H just for clarification as i propably is just one way to do it - you show that you fit the masts fully and then add the shrouds, stays etc.

Wouldnt it be easier to first fit the lower mast, attack stays, then topmast etc. ?

I'm actually just wondering about the pros and cons

Jacek

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

@James H just for clarification as i propably is just one way to do it - you show that you fit the masts fully and then add the shrouds, stays etc.

Wouldnt it be easier to first fit the lower mast, attack stays, then topmast etc. ?

I'm actually just wondering about the pros and cons

That would be entirely your choice, but I must prefer to make sure all my mast alignment is done 'off model' instead of fitting sections at a time during rigging. 

Congratulations!  Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...

I have a small (maybe) question.   Do the wales stand proud of the rest of the planking?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, James H said:

They sure do. 

The main wale is quite proud, and there is a thinner section that runs above this. 

Thanks.  I'm glad to hear it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@James H could you confirm the measurements which Christ posted on the box ? I will need to get an Acrylic enclosure before i even dream of starting on the fittings and Masting so the Cat is kept away from the oh soooo tempting thin pieces

Jacek

1 hour ago, James H said:

Yes, give or take a couple of millimetres, by Sphinx is around the stated size.

ok, so i should be fine if i order an enclosure with +5cm on each side (height is with display base ?)

Jacek

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My recent Orient Express Sleeping Car project was a real challenge combining metal, wood, paper and electrics in the same box. Though when I was done, I thought I really missed the smell of wood.

So, when I decided to build a wooden period ship as my next project, Sphinx was an easy choice for me. I finally ordered mine in Vanguard webshop yesterday. Chris, ship it already please!! 😁. Needless to say I will share build log in this forum.

/Aydin

Current :

HMS Sphinx by Vanguard

-------------

Completed:

Orient Express Sleeping Car by Amati

Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Istanbul Tram - Occre

Bluenose II - Artesania Latina

Bosphorus Sandal Fishing Boat

Riva Aquarama - Amati

Titanic - Mantua