HMS Sphinx 1775 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Hi James

You've made several references to varnish in your log, both poly and acrylic. Could you share what brands you use, and whether or not you dilute them at all? I'm still trying to find a combination I really like.

Thanks

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

3 hours ago, DelF said:

You've made several references to varnish in your log, both poly and acrylic. Could you share what brands you use, and whether or not you dilute them at all? I'm still trying to find a combination I really like.

For polyurethane varnish, I've used several brands, but currently using Rustins matt varnish, which I've been diluting 50:50 with white spirit.

I use aerosols for big stuff like wales and lower hulls, with Plastikote being my favourite generally, but I do like Games Workshop Chaos Black as a spray as it covers so easily. 

When painting smaller areas, I like Vallejo acrylics that I usually just add a tiny amount of water to so it flows easily. I also use Humbrol enamels for some areas, like blue and ochre, mixed 50:50 with white spirit. Tamiya acrylics also get used, mixed 50:50 with Mr Levelling Thinner.

I do sometimes use lacquers too, such as the Xtreme Metal from Vallejo. Those are pre-mixed. Examples are the copper used on horseshoes, depth marks and fishplates etc. That stuff is for airbrushing. 

Of course, there's the alcohol-based Vallejo Liquid Gold, thinned with a drop of isopropyl. 

In short, I use many different brands and types from lacquers, acrylic lacquers, enamel, acrylics etc. Generally, whatever I have that I know will do the job.

James-

Amazing!  This is another spectacular build.  Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful details. It certainly looks like more incredible design and engineering from Mr. Watton.

The stern decoration is really marvelous.  Bravo!

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I promised you an update.

I've been working on this pretty intensively over the last couple of weeks so Chris has some pictures for his Model boats magazine advert. When that happens, you know things aren't too far away. I'm thinking this will be an August release, or late July at the earliest. 

On with the show.

The next thing to do was add the frieze work and embellishments. The stern resin decoration was now fitted along with the rest of the stern decor. The closed bow and stern gun ports also had their ironwork and rig added. 

327.jpg

328.jpg

One task that is never my favourite is adding the chainplates, but these are quite easy and a breeze to fit.

329.jpg

330.jpg

A little ironwork now on the deck and inner bulwarks.

332.jpg

I actually made up the bulkhead screens quite a while ago, but now they were finished and fitted. Acrylic glazing was added using acrylic varnish to glue into position. On top of these went the window frame parts. Handles and hinges are also fitted. Each screen only needed a quick lick with a sanding stick to enable it to fit into place in the deck slots.

338.jpg

342.jpg

344.jpg

And with those in place, this is what we now have...

349.jpg

Real early on the build, I made a whole raft of deck fittings in between jobs such as building the frame, fairing, planking etc. This is where spending that time really paid off in pushing this project towards completion. The pictures you see now will miss out lots of stuff showing the individual elements being made, but you'll get the idea. You'll see the deck gradually build up into something a lot busier.

First, the coamings for the grates.

357.jpg

Then fitting the stairs in...

364.jpg

370.jpg

Sphinx is fitted with a chain pump system, and here you see aft stanchions for that in place, along with the main jeer bitts.

380.jpg

Then it's the turn of the two chain pumps to be installed.

384.jpg

Followed by the main topsail sheet bitts and gallows...

402.jpg

Then the forward chain pump handle stanchions are glued into position. 

408.jpg

Of course, we need a stove for all souls on board, so here's a brand spanking new one, with ornate brick surround.

444.jpg

Aft and fore riding bitts are installed, as well as the bowsprit support and the galley doors...

448.jpg

462.jpg

The chain pump handles are supplied as photo-etch parts, already shaped so there's no need to bend these into the awkward shapes needed. Each side is in two parts and dead easy to install. These are then painted black. The lower capstan is also fitted.

DSC_7715.jpg

And lastly, it's the turn of the cannon. These really give a sense of how Sphinx will look when complete. 

DSC_7771.jpg

And now, some extra photos showing the overall hull and details for you.

DSC_7772.jpg

DSC_7773.jpg

DSC_7774.jpg

DSC_7819.jpg

u.jpg

v.jpg

w.jpg

x.jpg

y.jpg

z.jpg

This is one BEAUTIFUL model...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

just so very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wonderful, can’t wait to get mine. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

James,

Just came across you log -- Wow! - Superlative work indeed.

Bookmarked will ge back and spend time admiring your work.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

This is extraordinary.  I don't think I've seen a kit look like this! 

Mmm what a model!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Jim is doing a fine job on this prototype, it looks a lot better than I ever dared hope.

I have done 19 plan sheets (50x70cm)  for it so far (6 sheets are dedicated to laser and PE parts identification), and they are mostly supplementary to the manual, apart from masts and yards. I just have the rigging plans left to do, so probably 22 plan sheets altogether, along with a very thick step-by-step manual..

I have had some lanterns made specifically for this model, and I should have these soon.

Well done, Jim!

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

My one request for your consideration is to provide the best quality rope to go with such an amazing kit. Normally I replace kit rope with Syren products but that is no longer an option and I have little interest in making my own. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Normally I replace kit rope with Syren products but that is no longer an option and I have little interest in making my own. 

I'm working on that and hope to bring rope to all of you soon. This model deserves some good rope and blocks for sure.

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

I just have the rigging plans left to do,

Will there be an option to get the kit without masting and rigging, or will that be logistically too hard?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Verrrrry interested in this, kit quality seems exceptional. Just a bit concerned with import duties to the EU😕

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

18 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Will there be an option to get the kit without masting and rigging, or will that be logistically too hard?

No, it has been designed from the start as a complete kit. As dowel and other rigging materials are but a fraction of the cost of the actual hull model, with all the time and materials that go into that, it wouldn't really make a big difference in price. I guess you can choose not to add masts and rig.

The rigging for Sphinx will be a mix of Gutermann (0.1mm beige and fine black for ratlines) and Amati thread. If I had the time to make my own rigging thread I would. However, I barely have time for developments themselves right now.

logo.jpg

Gorgeous and beautifully engineered kit. Being new to the hobby (wood models) only two "simple" kits done, I will try my skills at one of the fishing boats first. Maybe both of them. The Sphinx would be the pinnacle of my modeling endeavor. Love the inclusion of PE parts having a lot of practice using it with styrene models.

6 minutes ago, Mercator said:

Gorgeous and beautifully engineered kit. Being new to the hobby (wood models) only two "simple" kits done, I will try my skills at one of the fishing boats first. Maybe both of them. The Sphinx would be the pinnacle of my modeling endeavor. Love the inclusion of PE parts having a lot of practice using it with styrene models.

This kit is designed so if you have a couple of successful builds under your belt, then you can get a very good result with this. The fishers are great kits though and I definitely recommend trying one. 

2 hours ago, BenD said:

I'm working on that

That would be great if it meets Syren quality, I’m looking forward to see your offering!

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Amati thread.

I understand your not being able to make it, just wish there was a third option.  Maybe with Ben there will be. 

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

No, it has been designed from the start as a complete kit.

Many thanks.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

3 hours ago, ObviousNewbie said:

Verrrrry interested in this, kit quality seems exceptional. Just a bit concerned with import duties to the EU😕

I have been told by my accountant that I have to now become VAT registered. Up until now, I was not liable for VAT registration in the UK, as turnover has to reach a certain amount be being legally required to. This means that all of my products I have sold this far have not had VAT added. This is about to change.

Now, when the UK was a part of the EU, EU and UK customers paid VAT and no import duty. The difference now is that EU customers do not pay the UK VAT but import duty instead.

For example, in the UK, a £300 kit would be £360 with the 20% VAT added, but EU and world wide customers will just pay the £300, and then whatever import duty costs your country has.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

I don’t think I was paying anything extra for a US shipment, does that change?

Regards,

Glenn