HMS Sphinx 1775 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Oh my giddy aunt!  She looks absolutely magnificent, and the detail seems extraordinary - much more than I would expect from a 1:64 model. I’m sure that I won’t be able to resist, even with 20% VAT.  And while that 20% price hike might seem bad news for us in the UK, it is great news for model ship builders as it’s a sign of Vanguard prospering.

But a question: the closed gun ports are obviously shown with port lids (or they wouldn’t be closed).  Why are there no port lids on the open ports?

Mike

Went back over the log  --- Chris stunning kit. The level of included details, the time saved from scratch building so much that is pre-included in this upcoming kit is spectacular. :imNotWorthy: 

James  - amazing high quality work indeed :imNotWorthy:

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I think if I was building one I would have to include  a full  crew of made and painted figures  as I  feel it would look Superb taht way.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

12 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I think if I was building one I would have to include  a full  crew of made and painted figures

Sounds like a third-party after market kit opportunity to me.  😉

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

32 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Sounds like a third-party after market kit opportunity to me.  😉

Indeed  -  would so turn it into a living  space  and there are some Amazing  sculpts around the  28mm  scale  coming out.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, Mike_H said:

But a question: the closed gun ports are obviously shown with port lids (or they wouldn’t be closed).  Why are there no port lids on the open ports?

Those will be added when the quarterdeck beams and deck itself is installed. I try to limit the number of fragile protrusions when some main hull construction work is still ongoing.

But, here are the lids:

DSC_7610.jpg

9 hours ago, chris watton said:

I have been told by my accountant that I have to now become VAT registered. Up until now, I was not liable for VAT registration in the UK, as turnover has to reach a certain amount be being legally required to. This means that all of my products I have sold this far have not had VAT added. This is about to change.

Now, when the UK was a part of the EU, EU and UK customers paid VAT and no import duty. The difference now is that EU customers do not pay the UK VAT but import duty instead.

For example, in the UK, a £300 kit would be £360 with the 20% VAT added, but EU and world wide customers will just pay the £300, and then whatever import duty costs your country has.

Thnx for the clarification Mr Watton, very helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing it appear as a finished model on the site 🙂

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

22 hours ago, chris watton said:

Jim hasn't added the three gun port lids per side (last three gun ports have them) yet, but they are included (pre cut, of course)

Aha - and he has shown a photograph with an entirely sensible explanation.  But why did/does she have only 3 (more) per side?

Mike

The gun ports outside the forecastle and the quarterdeck are on the weather deck.  Port lids would serve no purpose..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

15 minutes ago, Mike_H said:

Aha - and he has shown a photograph with an entirely sensible explanation.  But why did/does she have only 3 (more) per side?

Mike

Those ports are in the cabin areas, so lidded.

8 minutes ago, Gregory said:

The gun port outside the forecastle and the quarterdeck are on the weather deck.  Port lids would serve no purpose..

That's the way I see it too.

Chris, What a magnificent kit you are making!

James, You are setting the mark rather high on how to write a build log.😉

Congratulations to both of you.

You make me proud to be a member of this fantastic community.

Leo

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

Jim,

Spectacular update as you promised.  You certainly delivered.  Your progress is looking crisp and fresh.  Love the overall colors.

I haven’t touched a model in 38 years.  I’m looking to reintroduce myself to this fabulous hobby.  I think I will take your advice and start with one of Chris’s Scottish fishing boats (Fifie or Zulu) to sharpen my skills and then perhaps this Sphinx…

Your work is striking and Chris’s kits are amazing.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Keep up the good work.

Stephen

Fantastic update.

There's been some interesting comments about rope. Amati rope has been supplied with a couple of kits I have and seems OK to me. But I'm no expert. Some of you don't seem that enthusiastic about it.  How good or bad is Amati rope?  or is it that Chuck's rope was a "Rolls Royce" type standard. 

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

1 hour ago, Malcolm Greig said:

Fantastic update.

There's been some interesting comments about rope. Amati rope has been supplied with a couple of kits I have and seems OK to me. But I'm no expert. Some of you don't seem that enthusiastic about it.  How good or bad is Amati rope?  or is it that Chuck's rope was a "Rolls Royce" type standard. 

Malcolm

I would say that Chuck's rope was the Rolls Royce of rope.   You can buy one of his ropewalks and make your own which with some practice should rival what he made since used the same ropewalk.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 6/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, glbarlow said:

Normally I replace kit rope with Syren products but that is no longer an option and I have little interest in making my own. 

I'm going to toss this out here..

I can make what I feel is very acceptable model rope..  However, I do not think I want to go into the model rope making business..

If someone has a particular project, with details in color and size, I would enjoy working with them to provide the rope they need.

The cost would basically be postage and materials.  I do not have the space to create 20 foot lengths like Syren used to do.

It would be more in the 4 to 5 foot range.

Of course, I could provide as many 5 foot pieces  as someone might think they need.

I never made anything for my own use that was more than a couple of feet.  No one line in a project was ever longer than that.

Send me a message if you would like to discuss this or get a sample..

—MICHAEL ROSE

22 hours ago, Malcolm Greig said:

Some of you don't seem that enthusiastic about it. 

I’ve used both, I’d say it’s more than Syren being the Rolls Royce, there is a big difference in quality. Enough that I consider it a big step down to fall back on Amati stuff. To me it’s more Amati being the KIA of rope. There doesn’t seem to be many options in between. 

I don’t want to make my own but I may have to learn how. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

As I'm about to fit out the upper deck shortly, here's an update on progress so far.

Over the last week, I've concentrated on getting the quarterdeck and forecastle beams in place, plus the decks. All beams are lettered to ID them, along with the timber they sit onto. All you might have to do is bevel an occasional end to get it to conform to hull shape. Along with the deck beams on quarterdeck, I've also add the optional hanging knees. These won't be seen too easily, but I've installed them for the sake of the manual.

482.jpg

484.jpg

All the beams are now fitted into place, along with the various carlings.

485.jpg

488.jpg

Before fitting any deck, the beams and carlings are also added to the forecastle area. Note the anchor hawse that's now added and tied back inside the bow. After the beams are fitted, the MDF ears from above deck level, are removed.

495.jpg

499.jpg

501.jpg

504.jpg

A drill bit is now wound with some medium grit paper and hand spun into the bowsprit hole, shaping this passage on the way down to the support which is plugged into the gun deck. This was a nice easy job due to the shape of parts and various cutouts. The 8mm dowel is then test fitted.

506.jpg

Before I can lay the forecastle deck, the fore jeer bitts need to be installed. Again, this is a simply task. I only glue these in at deck point so I have some play in the vertical posts.

509.jpg

510.jpg

The deck is supplied as 0.8mm maple veneer, laster etched. There is a ply part supplied as an alternative if you want to plank this yourself, but you'll need to source your own strip. Before the deck is glued, it's test fitted and sanded to make sure of an exact fit.

511.jpg

512.jpg

Inner bulwarks are now added. First the 1.5mm ones that butt up against the MDF bow former, then the outer 0.6 ones that run full length.

518.jpg

A sanding stick is then used to level up the tops of the bulwarks. Tape is laid down to protect the engraved deck and reduce any dust getting into the hull.

521.jpg

Now it's the turn of the quarterdeck to be fitted. Note that the beams are sanded of char where they can be seen through the deck cutouts etc.

523.jpg

524.jpg

The shallow bulwarks make the decks easy to 'pin' down around the edge using small clamps. Again, a sanding stick is used to level up the bulwark tops so the gunwales will be horizontal.

525.jpg

Bulwarks now fitted...532.jpg

533.jpg

Seems such a shame to cover over so much of the detail, but now's time to cover yet more with the gangways. These are made from a layer of 0.8mm maple ply, with an underside in 0.6mm pear.

535.jpg

The gangway is temporarily added to model and the position of the adjoining gunwale is marked at each end. The gunwale is then sat over the gangway and then an edge drawn along the gangway. That area, which will differ slightly on different builds, is then removed from the gangway so the gunwale will recess into it.

538.jpg

All of the gangway knees are now painted and installed.

541.jpg

542.jpg

Then the gangways can be fitted. I use a small weight in the centre of the gangways to hold them into the gentle curve they need along the top of the knees.

543.jpg

Bulwark cleats are now added, as well as the stern knees. Before the stern knees are fitted, a 0.6mm drill is used to drill through two laser cut holes, to the outside stern. These are for mounting the lanterns. The knees will then cover the internal holes you drilled through.

546.jpg

549.jpg

551.jpg

And for the time being, this is where I'm at. My apologies for the lighting on this photo. I'll be retaking this one tonight. 

554.jpg

Simply stunning! 

17 minutes ago, James H said:

Seems such a shame to cover over so much of the detail

I quite like the fact that there's going to be lots of 'secret' detail only the builder will know about. Does that make me strange 🤪?

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

1 hour ago, Suzdal said:

No it doesn't make you strange but I believe a way should be made to make it visible.

Richard

The builder can make as much visible as they want to.

—MICHAEL ROSE

13 hours ago, DelF said:

Does that make me strange 

That’s not what does😂🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose