HMS Beagle by Robp1025 - OcCre - 1:60

So this is my first build of a legit model ship. I bought a Chinese knock off to make sure I would be into making a wooden model ship because I have done lots of car models as a kid but it's been 15 years since I did one. Either way looking forward to getting into this new hobby because I want a better outlet then video games and youtube because it's a waste of mental health. 

Either way hope everyone enjoys my log as much as I will and looking forward to sharing my experience with everyone!!

P.S. props to OcCre for an amazing model kit with such detail in the instructions. 

20210319_163721.jpg

Edited by Robp1025

Nice start! Your opening line was a bit vague, I assume you mean this is an actual OcCre kit and you built a Chinese kit before this?

9 hours ago, Cathead said:

Nice start! Your opening line was a bit vague, I assume you mean this is an actual OcCre kit and you built a Chinese kit before this?

Yes so this is the OcCre kit. I wanted to make sure I was still into models by doing the cheap Chinese kit before I invested some real money into a kit like this one. 

The picture below this is the chinese kit I started doing then stop because I got lost with the rigging and didn't know enough to be confident to do it. I'll probably finish it after I do this kit. 

20210316_224338.jpg

So I broke my first piece even though i soaked the piece pretty good. Either way i think i might start building a planking jig outta nails to bend pieces then I'll transfer them to the model especially for the more fragile pieces next time. But it's coming along and move steadily. Got all the sanding and prep done and now it's time to plank which will take some time so this build will slow down for a couple days atleast. 20210323_232222.thumb.jpg.44df886dd70dbc84387da3b4b8310dd5.jpg

This is where my broken piece was so I planked and glued everything. Then I planked and am now letting the glue settle on the fixed piece. 

20210323_232240.jpg

20210323_232228.jpg

Are you soaking in cold water? Hot water can be more effective at helping planks take a bend, as heat is what really loosens the fibers. Some folks use planking irons to add additional heat, even without water, but if you don't have one hot water would likely help at a minimum. Keep at it!

Process is going steady and to not fight the wood I'm doing balsa bricks for the front and back under the .5 mm planks so I dont have to worry too much about planking. 

Side note. Why do they give the reinforcements for the front and back then have you take away 2/3 of it in prepping for the planks. It's almost pointless to put it on because it's not really helping me plank more than making more work. 

20210324_221936.jpg

20210324_221938.jpg

20210324_221949.jpg

9 hours ago, Maliba1025 said:

Why do they give the reinforcements for the front and back then have you take away 2/3 of it in prepping for the planks

Are you talking about the extra material between bulkheads near the keel, fore and aft? The remaining surface likely  will help with plank adherence, even if it feels like a waste.

Also, slow gentle pressure is definitely another key to bending planks!

2 minutes ago, Cathead said:

Are you talking about the extra material between bulkheads near the keel, fore and aft? The remaining surface likely  will help with plank adherence, even if it feels like a waste.

Also, slow gentle pressure is definitely another key to bending planks!

Yes this is definitely something I learned while doing this. Thank you for all the help!!

8 hours ago, Dean77 said:

Looks fantastic, great job on the first layer of planking, must have been a big decision to strip it back and start again! But so worth it!

I'm part way through building the Beagle. Which, like yourself, is also my first model ship.

Yea it was not an easy decision. I did a full day of just trying to do repair and work around and it just looked so disgusting. Even though it would have been covered it would have been so hard to do the second layer and it would look so disgusting.

22 hours ago, Cathead said:

Great progress. It's amazing how much  some final sanding will do to really  make a hull look nice.

Yep and it makes the work on the second planking so much easier because I took the time to really detail and get the right shape and have it even. I'm excited to keep going on it every day I pick it up.

2 hours ago, Pete D said:

Looks like you're making excellent progress .

Yea I'm chugging along it's a lot of fun and I have no kids just me and my wife so I spend nights with her and day building. We both been sick though so had a lot of extra time else I wouldn't even be planking yet lol. 

So needs some trimming down a little but actually not to hard after....(serious newb moment and showing the lack of knowledge) I learned what CA actually was...yep didn't know the glory of this stuff till tonight when I found some. I feel so much better about doing detail work with this stuff and some medical tweezers that work amazingly even though I still need to get my clenching tweezers. 

Sorry for the ramble but yea here we go with the pictures instead if words because well actions (or pictures) speak louder than words lol. 

20210405_003308.jpg

20210405_003509.jpg

20210405_003520.jpg

20210405_012355.jpg

59 minutes ago, Maliba1025 said:

my birds ate some of the wood

Is that like my dog ate my homework? :) The model is really looking good especially considering it's your first build. 

It really is lol I should have gotten a picture of what I found Keith. Had to fix the rubbing stakes cause they literally pulled off two of them. But it's a one time thing cause I took a nap and didn't put my ship in the other room like I usually do. I love them though and would to get a picture with them with it when its finished but I think they would be too scared of it.