New Modeler, eager for advice!

I'm from East Virginia, a lover of the water and a long-time reader of nautical fiction. I'm primarily an armor modeler, but I am going into wooden ships. I have ordered several kits which I plan to finish in this order to familiarize myself with the craft:

1. Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory
  2. Artesania Latina 1/24 Providence Whaleboat
  3. Artesania Latina 1/24 Jolly Boat from HMS Bounty
  4. Artesania Latina 1/85 Sultan Arab Dhow
  5. Artesania Latina 1/41 1819 Virginia Schooner
  6. Model Shipways 1/64 1803 Brig Syren

I am also getting the following tools:

1. Razor Saw
  2. Keel Vise
  3. Microshapers A and B from Artesania Latina
  4. Marking and Measuring Set (rulers, compass, squares)
  5. 3" Squares x2
  6. 5oz Upholsterer's Hammer
  7. Rigging tools and long-neck scissors

I already have hobby knives, files, sandpaper, various wood and CA glues, various paints, etc, all the basic modeling tools and supplies. 

I'm really looking forward to getting started, everyone here seems very knowledgeable and supportive.

My questions for more experienced modelers would be:

1. Is this a good plan to start the hobby?
  2. Am I missing any necessary/helpful tools?
  3. What is some basic advice you can give me?
Edited by Joseph F.

Welcome to MSW, Joseph.   

It would appear you have a good plan laid out for starting and progressing in the hobby.  

As for tools... go to the top of the page (the More button) and click on the database.  There's articles on getting started, tools, etc.   As for tools.  I think you're off to a good start.  Rule of thumb.... only buy tools when you need them.  If you're not sure.. ask.  Tools can be a hobby unto themselves... yes, I'm a toolholic and trying to stop.   I do note that you don't have tweezers listed.... a good set is very worthwhile.  Same for a hobby knife like an Xacto.  

As for advice... open a build log on each project as it's a great way to get help and advice.  Use MSW to search for other logs of the same model and manufacturer as you'll get ideas and insight in to methods, pitfalls, etc.  

The most important bit of advice perhaps... have fun and enjoy the process.   You may have issues and be pulling your hair out but we're here and can help, thus the build log and seeing what others have done.  It can be a very relaxing and enjoyable journey.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

welcome

your hardest part is not starting each kit without completing the previous one lol

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Joseph and welcome to Model Ship World.  It is nice to see another Virginian on this site.  The Hampton Roads Ship Model Society is close to you.  Check out their website by clicking on this link: HRSMS Website

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

EAST Virginia?  Did we get a new state when I wasn't looking?

-Does "Hobby knives" include an Exacto?  My #1 tool.  (I have graduated to scalpel, but you get the point).

-Dremel, my #2 tool

-Clamps...you can never have too many.  Check out the various build logs and buy the clamps as you need them.

-Patience.

-Alcohol-Isopropyl.  As Azzoun said, all models get screwed up.  Using alcohol to unglue the defective parts is invaluable.  ...and DO unglue the defective parts.  Trying to compensate for errors only make the errors worse.  Don't ask me how I know this.

-Dictionary of nautical swear words...for when you just spend 4 hours on a part only to drop it and not be able to find it. :default_wallbash:

-Have fun.  Ask question and don't be afraid to share your work. :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks to all repliers, Mark especially. To answer questions about other tools I have, I have several hobby knives, several pliers and tweezers, lots of clamps, and a rotary tool. I hope to have something to show in a couple weeks!

@Chuck Seiler We've been here since 1607 :)

Joseph, welcome to MSW. Enjoy this new phase of modeling and please take advantage of looking through the build logs of others. You'll not only find inspiration but also answers to questions you have during your builds. 

21 hours ago, Joseph F. said:

@Chuck Seiler We've been here since 1607

I thought that was just plain old Virginia.  I knew there was a WEST Virginia, but... 😁

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 4 weeks later...

Joseph, a welcome from the Midwest.  You've received good advice from some very skilled modelers.  In addition to all the various clamps available I've found that in planking my Jolly Boat, push pins are a must.  There are a few spots that I just can't get a clamp, of any kind, on nor can I find a way to get a rubber band to get the job done.  I used a grinding disc on my Dremel to shorten the pins and reduce the diameter to my liking.  I had to be very careful not to over heat the pin as it would melt the plastic.  I did this because when using unmodified pins I split my transom  :default_wallbash:   The pins were just too big, this of course was just my case on my Jolly Boat.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats