Materials that should NOT be used to build models?

On 3/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, glbarlow said:

A fun discussion but I have no expectations of a call from the Smithsonian 😁  

My only expectation of a call from the Smithsonian is to tell me no in advance...

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

This thread makes me smile when I consider how contemporary models and even more recent iconic models such as Longridge’s Victory are treated.

Even the NMM no longer considers most ship models are worthy of displaying and has shipped them off to storage at Chatham. The last time I saw Longridge’s Victory it was in a poor condition, and that too is no longer on display at The Science Museum.

Sadly, the broad sway of the public have no interest in ship models, including most of your relatives. How long the models we build last is of little consequence in the overall scheme of things, build them to enjoy in you own lifetime.

B.E.