Queen Mary 2 by ChrisSC - FINISHED - Heller - 1/600 - PLASTIC

11 hours ago, ChrisSC said:

I decided to do a quick build of a 1/600 Queen Mary 2. I'm going to try to build all the 1/600 ocean liners available before I move back to the larger scales.

5.jpg

That is an excellent decision, Chris. Wow, look at that hull, quite a prominent bulb in the front.... I like the three bow thrusters. They must help tremendously to steer that leviathan, in the absence of tugs.

Yves

Thanks wemattson and Yves. The kit has a tremendous amount of decals, I've never seen anything like it. I chose to paint the waterline area as opposed to using the decals. I didn't have much confidence in getting them to line up properly as they are in 6 pieces. They are also very thick and require about 3 minutes to slide them off. I have found they are silvering despite my using a gloss coat to apply them on. If you enjoy working with decals this is the kit for you lol.

Another Superb piece of artwork in the making  - will follow along again mate.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

That's a Beast   -  you are doing a Marvellous job of her.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Certainly a different look than the liners you already have done but the quality is sure still there.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks OC and Lou. It is a pretty large kit for a 1/600 scale. Lou I'm not really all that enthused about building her but I figured since I have a few other 1/600's I may as well add her. I've decided that I'm just going to build the kit out of the box and not add any significant amount of PE. I think it would cost me more money to buy enough railings to fit this ship out with PE than the kit itself. Just the balconies would need who knows how much railing to purchase. I have this ship in the 1/400 scale also so I guess I will detail that one.

I'm not a fan of cruise ships and she does remind me a bit of a cruise ship with all the apartment block decks. That being said, she still is the only passenger ship currently in service I would build a model of.

I agree with you Chris in that the model is available in the scale of the liners you have already chosen to model and therefore should be added to the "Set." Not so sure about the railings though. I know it would be a hassle and added cost but won't she kind of stand out next to the others without them? Toms Model Works and White Ensign both seem to carry them in that scale at somewhat reasonable prices. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

I agree with you Chris in that the model is available in the scale of the liners you have already chosen to model and therefore should be added to the "Set." Not so sure about the railings though. I know it would be a hassle and added cost but won't she kind of stand out next to the others without them? Toms Model Works and White Ensign both seem to carry them in that scale at somewhat reasonable prices. 

From the start I did plan to make it a quick build just to add to the set. The PE is a decision I've wrestled with. One point in favor of building her simply as the manufacturer suggests is that the kit does come with a very extensive decal sheet and clear parts that would go in spots that usually have railings. I considered just putting PE on the bow and stern but thought that would look kind of half way done. The main stopping point for me on the PE is the balconies, there are just a crazy amount of railings to be put there. I think I am figuring it will be all or nothing and looking at the kit when completed it will be obvious that it's an out of the box build. I'll put this one on a low shelf lol!

I'm glad Queen Mary 2 was built in real life, she is an ocean liner, but I just don't have a passion for the ship. It is the apartment block decks that put me off. I understand they were necessary to make her profitable enough to be built but I guess I'm old fashioned in what appeals to me aesthetically. I think that has crept in to my enthusiasm towards building the model. It is similar to how I feel about the France vs Norway. After the profile of the France was changed with the addition of more decks she lost much of her appeal to me. Same with military ships, a battleship I would enjoy building much more than a modern cruiser or destroyer. As with most things I like the classic looks of things from an earlier time.

Just the other day I watched a TV program on the SS United States which has been just sitting there rusting for a couple of decades. I would rather have her sit there than someone buy her and add ten decks to her as a floating hotel. I think the original Queen Mary made out the best, from the exterior she still looks like the Queen Mary but is still maintained. 

In the end I will wind up building the Queen Mary 2 in 1/400 scale and she will get all her PE lol!

I agree totally about the looks of these floating  hotels  - just no attraction for me either,     you are doing a marvelous job Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

17 hours ago, ChrisSC said:

I'll put this one on a low shelf lol!

No need for that. Your skills do much to make it worthy of a better position than that........... Maybe the back of the shelf. :D 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I said I was gonna build this out of the box but I flip flopped and started doing black PE railings on the balconies of 1/600 QM2. Did the first four blocks on one side. I have some Gold Medal stainless PE which I can never seem to bend correctly so I’ll use it up here since these are straight runs. I’ll use brass for the rest of the railings. I also changed the color of the screw blades from copper to something more towards a steel color.

13 Balconies.jpg

14 Balconies.jpg

15 Screws.jpg

Thats a job and a half mate   - looking super  - so makes a difference PE does despite it fiddly-ness.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

24 minutes ago, ChrisSC said:

Thanks OC. I don't know what I got myself into here, it's a lot of railing lol.

Tell you what  - if anyone can - you are the man,    you have become the go to man here for liners  - great stuff.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I almost hate to say it Chris but those railings look fantastic! I'm kind of sorry I brought it up in the first place because of all the extra work and expense but darn, it really looks nice.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The actual ship has dark tinted glass instead of railings but I definitely wasn't going there. I had the PE set aside for other projects but I realized it was Gold Medal Stainless Steel PE which I hate working with on railings. I can't get it to bend at 90 degrees perfectly crisp as brass does. So in the end I thought I can get rid of a lot of this stainless PE by putting it on this ship. Lou you are off the hook lol!

It's amazing what a few railings, (properly installed) can accomplish! They are like jewelry on the lady!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

She is looking Superb Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 hours ago, ChrisSC said:

so far she has taken on a lot of PE with all the terraces.

Yes I suppose I should have left out the word "few." But I still stand by the fact that they really dress her up.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks OC. Lou, I agree. Now that it's done she looks better with the PE.

That’s all for 1/600 Queen Mary 2. Out of the box with some railings. The funnel decals had me using curse words I didn’t even know I knew lol. Time for a break. I am going to build a 3D printer from a kit and try to learn how to use it.

20 Done.jpg

21 Done.jpg

22 Done.jpg