Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by bobandlucy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

Paint will cover all fills. Looks really great

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Druxey, Will & Skibee- Thanks for the encouragement.

I began filling and sanding. Most of the defects are edge to edge, I was lucky to not have any apparent depressions between the frames. On the theory that I am not seeing everything, I applied filler all over, then sanded down. I experimented with two different fillers. The Minwax discolors the wood and is very grainy, but sands down OK. The Model Lite stuff is strange indeed, really fluffy stuff that sands to a very smooth finish, but it is too easy to over-sand thus removing the fill. I added a little water to both types to make them more workable. Pics are of one side "finished," and the other side just begun towards the bow. The finished side is smoother than it appears. . .

119837225_pic32.jpg.31b71230a9c01db0d7b6899cee5f66a5.jpg928907449_pic33.jpg.445b6ce5974f1098b01a8ab237e3f953.jpg1822637827_pic34.jpg.d6047f0f49674f34ef132b6d1b5c5276.jpg

Added the toe rails and one rub rail. Instructions call for the rub rails to be 1/4" below the top of the toe rail, until aft of the deck house (cabin?), where it should rise gradually ending 1/16" below the top of the transom. I glued the piece on to the point where the rise would begin, then holding it to a mark at  the transom, made marks every inch or so, then continued gluing incrementally. There is a slight rise to the hull near the center of the boat, or a slight dip in the rub rail, or both- which is now apparent, but overall I am happy with results.

104_0202.thumb.JPG.d34193fe7228e6f8ab746946f15f145a.JPG

104_0208.thumb.JPG.76cf8fd88954bebd914e73f265fed5be.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

I was feeling pretty good, sanding, filling, sanding filling. . . when I realized that what I thought was a white deck in the instruction manual was actually unfinished wood.  Had some warping of the deck which required filling, and I did a pretty good job in restoring the slight curve to the surface. Now I think I have no choice but to go with painting. I had seen that some others stained the deck, but I wanted to keep to the scheme presented. I realized I had gone wrong when I read  the instructions to pre-paint the coaming (not for the first time) to avoid awkward masking. Thought "why pre-paint as it's all white?" Duh!

104_0220.thumb.JPG.4cc70181bcb6065ebef3257d061e76b8.JPG

I tried to shape the coaming. It looks really rough. I may try again if I can find a piece of scrap. Some days I should just stay out of the room. . .

104_0219.thumb.JPG.4a1b6ee453456343b11bfbc7dbc85aa6.JPG

It doesn't look rough but if you wish making another is not too hard. Before giving it up try to dry fit the coaming. It sit fairly low below the deck and you might be surprised. If Basswood is a problem many craft stores sell good quality wood.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

My coaming look just like yours, but I glued it in and used a little filler to smooth it out an it looks good now.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

Glued in the coaming and cabin sides. I did not pre-paint them as I will be priming and painting the deck due to all the fill used. I'm thinking some light buff or cream paint that might resemble wood, if I can find it. Any ideas?

First pic shows a difference between the prototype and this model. The operating rod for the centerboard is shown in the kit manual as resting in the down position all the way to the end of the slot towards the stern, so that it rests between the two wet well covers. In my opinion, this would be the most attractive position for display. As you can see, in my model the rod movement is stopped by the bulkhead below the deck. I guess this is my error, I should have notched the bulkhead earlier on. It will be tricky to correct now, but I may give it a shot. . .

104_0226.thumb.JPG.be255fba044892cbe591412b1bb24a58.JPG104_0227.thumb.JPG.c0d0b3c13185096e3f50be1acc14b840.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Painted the toe rails and mounted on the stand. There are a couple of areas where the paint lines are not as crisp as I'd like. I touched them up as best I could and decided that additional work might cause a worse outcome. One area I may try to touch up more is the intersection of the cabin bulkhead and deck. This area and the toe rails near the cabin walls were hard to mask. 

Yes, there is a lot of white! I may paint the oar lock pads mahogany to add additional contrast, but I think with the addition of the tiller and the mast/rigging all will be OK. 

1516100304_pic46.jpg.9bb339677b1dd0210afbbb697290ce4d.jpg548404639_pic47.jpg.f91b9c03d56f722f882225868bd95af8.jpg

Edited by bobandlucy

I neglected to mention in the last post- that the cabin roof was glued in off-center so the overhang was not visually pleasing. I cut/sanded the overhang off flush with the wall below, and glued on a "bumper" rail all around using the same material as for the rub rail. I think it looks OK.

I installed the rudder. tiller, traveler and block, the centerboard operator rod handpiece, and the trail boards. The tiller was challenging- my first attempt with epoxy failed to set, so I reached into the void with gel CA glue on a toothpick and that worked. The block is hardwood, and was hard to shape. I'd recommend sanding rather than cutting as I broke it, but was able to glue back together. 

104_0246.thumb.JPG.269d52d774f404f5b01adbcc98f6f188.JPG104_0248.thumb.JPG.a64ae4e30ec5569be81fe368b4d2189b.JPG

104_0255.thumb.JPG.a4312ecde1d530ece6d95a07585ebc88.JPG104_0256.thumb.JPG.9bb270d564defd4eba0fd80db59d7751.JPG

I began shaping the mast. I finally came to an understanding of the process (I'm slow)! I did not follow all steps on the Sailing Pram, and my spars were not as round. For the first time, I braved the block plane. This speeded up things considerably. I cannot stress enough the need to measure and line both the four square and the eight square out. It takes some time. Four square:

345507758_pic55.jpg.60e73b49d20b67b6e35de08abd5c1ebc.jpg

Did not take picture of the eight square, but here is the round. I did not worry much about the length buried below deck as it fit in the hole in the deck as it was and did not want to make the fit too loose:

1813084918_pic56.jpg.6288a40009d6eee918c81b9dc51146b0.jpg

For those that follow, I want to note that there are three provided holes near the top of the mast, to install eye-rings for attachment to blocks. I studied this for a long time. There should have been four holes, the additional one (or two) at the top, for the sheave/topping lift line. It would have been easier to drill this hole prior to rounding the mast, but I was able to do so (by drilling an undersized hole and enlarging with broach) - in the end I am very pleased with the methods and instruction, and am confident that I could reproduce the same or better results again.

From the manual:

mast_manual.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Thanks so much, druxey! Yeah, I'm a Moodies fan, and a bad photographer. Needed something to block the reflection from the screen. I have learned so much from assembling this model! I was happy with the results on the pram, but this kit has really challenged and increased my skills. The end is in sight, and I am resisting the urge to rush. . .  On to the boom and gaff, sail-making and rigging! I'm sure I need more cool tools. . .

b

Edited by bobandlucy

Just as I did on the Pram, I broke the gaff at the central eye, during shaping and again while lacing the sail. The repair looks a little better this time. Somehow, my measurement was off and I ended up with 7 mast hoops instead of 6, and had to add a hoop while tying to the sail, but I don't have a problem with that. It looks OK to me.

Next is the jib sail, rope coils, and a little touch-up paint. . . a day or two and one more post, and I'll call it done! Happy 4th of July to all!

Bob

1929431422_pic65.jpg.7d41e7f5b38ccf095744136fd2c314ce.jpg

Calling this model done! 13 weeks +/-, not that it matters. . .

I like doing the rigging. One really has to watch position of body parts. . . it's like playing a musical instrument, total concentration.

Oddly, although the instructions call for brown 0.7 mm rope for the standing rigging, it is not included (same for beige 0.3 mm.) I bought these online advertised as being intended for this purpose. It is good looking but really stiff. I boiled in water to try and remove wax, but no improvement.

I really couldn't pull off a decent false glued splice for attachment to eyebolts, but will keep trying in the future. In most cases I used 0.3  mm beige line ties. I can do this. Where the ties are used on brown rope the contrast in color is noticeable. I did not think to order the brown. . . and was ready to finish, and like I said before, there are no inspectors here. Learning techniques was my goal for this series. I feel satisfied in that. As an aside, I will be looking for cotton threads in the future. The nylon has way too much memory. 

Started cleaning up and found I have lost the surgical scalpel. First I checked my pockets and beneath my bottom on the chair. Then the trash can. Never found it. Big cleaning tomorrow.

Glued in the row locks (final step) and poured a bourbon. Took these pictures.

Thanks to those who followed, and gave advice.

b

808822924_pic68.jpg.ca451788ad9cdd2bd08179675c27c81e.jpg

904427291_pic70.jpg.83685cab1ae1329765cbf036f56b6890.jpg

1070665105_pic71.jpg.481af80a2da97531bd723202530d7359.jpg

1115059592_pic72.jpg.342edec180a843d9974e6d89c0d406a6.jpg

Congratulations on a very nice model, Bob! It doesn't matter how long one has been modeling, there's always something new to challenge one. Overcoming those challenges is a satisfying feeling, isn't it?

So, what is next, I wonder?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks, David. I couldn't be happier. Yes, resolving the problems is the best feeling. This totally replaces the challenges I had while working!

I've done the instructional series (as it exists as of now). 

I have AL's King of the Mississippi, I think I'll jump into that one next. Quite different. . .

b

Great job, have one on me before you start another ship.

Your Lobster Smack looks really great, Bob!  Congrats on its completion!  I have been away from modeling for several weeks now, as we are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and all of the summer activities with grandkids.  Left off at sanding the hull and will get back to it after the first of August.  You guys will be well on to your next project by that time.  Will try to catch up with you all sometime soon!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

• 2 months later...

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me