Midwest " The Trawler" is the latest orphan that I have adopted.

mtdoramike

Unfortunately for the Trawler, the builder lost interest in her once the hull was built. So I adopted her to maqke her all that she can be. I really hate to see a model half finished due to lack of interest when with just a little bit of iniative on the builders part the model could be finished.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Mike, it could have been illness or failed eyesight/loss of dexterity due to old age or the unthinkable. Glad to see you're taking the opportunity to finish the model and make whoever for whatever reason proud. 

In some cases of orphaned kits that I have adopted that would be the case, but not all of them. I'm always honored to finish models for those who couldn't physically finish them for health reasons or the previous builder was deceased and strive to see that the model is finished with the highest quality that I can provide. You would be surprised at how many opportunities that I'm offered to complete models for folks who for what ever reason decided they no longer had an interest in completing them. My brother was one of them. Unfortunately I have to turn down most of them due to time constraints and it not being a subject I'm particularly interested in. I'm trying to slow down, but some project will tickle my fancy.   

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, I think you have established yourself as the CEO of The Wooden Ship Model Rescue Organization! It's always fun to see what models you have given new life to...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

looks really good.......yep,  too good to lay waste ;)   I've never seen that kit......what is the production year?

have you got a log on her yet?

Edited by popeye the sailor
extra text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

I think my first step is going to be performing a bit of surgery to remove the deck, which was skillfully applied and would have been acceptable if it were going to be a static display piece. But if it's going to be R/C, the interior of the hull has to be sealed with resin.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the Br549 part is a comical jab at the old TV show "Hee Haw" :D   the 'empty arms hotel'   look'in very nice.......shaping up to be a very nice rescue ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the Br549 part is a comical jab at the old TV show "Hee Haw" :D   the 'empty arms hotel'   look'in very nice.......shaping up to be a very nice rescue ;) 

hahahahaha, popeye, now your telling your age, I think it was from Junior Samples monolog. Your the first to pick up on it.

I thought the saying was appropriate for a fishing vessel. I can picture one fish hanging from a hook, saying to the other fish, "How's it hangin brother?". A friend quickly pointed out to me that this is a trawler, which uses nets rather than line and hook. But I'm quick to point out anyting goes in cartoons.   

• 2 weeks later...

She's a beauty, Mike. Time for you to find another orphan to adopt!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I actually have two other orphaned projects waiting in the wings for their opportunity to shine Bob, one is a Dumas Mahogany run about Cobra, which is normally 27" in length, but I intend to stretch it out to about 30" by adding another frame. The other is the Billings Calypso. I'm currently working on a bigger version of the Yoda's Ark, which is being scratch built using a 33" fiberglass hull that I adopted a short time ago. 

Thanks Dave for the kind words. Like you, I wish I had time to build them all. This particular one, I felt sorry for because it had been kicked around from pillar to post without anyone taking the time to finish what one of the previous owners had started. The plans or what was left of them were torn, faded and pretty ratty, most of the parts were missing, so I had to scratch build some, use some old parts that I had laying around and purchased others. 

I have to turn down two-three offers a moth to finish models for would be builders who for what ever reason lost interest or life gets in the way of finishing their projects. But, I only have some much time so it has to be a special project or circumstance for me to adopt a wayward orphan. My wife keeps me grounded in the aspect.  

2 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

I wish I had time to build them all.

I'm amazed at how many orphans you actually are able to finish in such a short amount of time. I'm sure there will be plenty more given the speed at which you are able to build them. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: