USS Constitution by TomCulb - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 - cross-section

The fighting top has ten precisely laser cut oblong holes, five each port and starboard, for securing the topmast shroud deadeyes along the upper side of the fighting top. Attached to the lower side of each hole is a ring to which the upper end of each futtock shroud will be hooked. The instructions have you use blackened brass wire to wrap around the deadeyes and then pass through the holes to form the ring below.  As best as I can tell looking at the real ship, the deadeyes are secured with heavy rope, not with a metal ring, and I prefer working with thread rather than wire. But the ring below is metal, so I had to figure out a way to attach darkened brass eyebolts to the thread tied around the deadeyes. I tried any of a number different approaches that didn’t work.  I think I spent as much time getting the first assembly put together as I did working on the other nine total.

Here is what finally seemed to work.  First I took some .020” thread, wrapped it around the deadeye, and secured it with a square knot.  Then I took an eyebolt, cut a very short piece off the end of the stem, and wrapped the remaining stem around to form a loop.

IMG_6476.thumb.JPG.b9a9ca7b31916e2339ad0ea70db82524.JPG

I passed the two ends of the thread through the hole in the fighting top, then passed one end through the loop I made in the eyebolt.  I then passed that end back up through the hole in the fighting top (having previously hardened that end with a drop of CA glue), then used that end to pull the loop end of the eyebolt up into the hole. I then applied a drop of thin CA glue to the bundle of thread in the hole, thinking diluted white glue might not be strong enough.  Then to add a belt to the suspenders, after trimming the loose ends, I stuck a small dab of thick CA glue into the bottom of each hole.  It all seems pretty secure.

IMG_6477.thumb.JPG.fb6f7a464b076627ed5d64d64d4e27d8.JPG

IMG_6483.thumb.JPG.53d9f3d5e98d8f0a7ba8241c8e4373ff.JPG

IMG_6485.thumb.jpg.7228cb28d43ccb36fb5170b019bbaad3.jpg

The instructions have you add two eyebolts (also seen in the plans) to each trestle tree, which I did. They also call for six eyebolts to the bottom of the front edge of the fighting top.  There are conveniently six pre-drilled holes running along that front edge, but strangely the photos in the instructions clearly show the eyebolts between, not in, those holes.  Looking at the plans it does not appear that any of these eyebolts will be used to secure anything, and looking at the real ship, no such eyebolts appear.  I chose to leave them off my model. 

Next up are what the instructions refer to as bobstay collars.  The bobstays are standing rigging which runs from the deck up through bullseyes affixed to the aft side of the main mast then on up to the forward side of the mizzen mast.  Of course they do not appear at all on this model, since there is no mizzen mast, but the bullseyes they run through do appear. The three sets of chocks attached to the mast earlier support the bullseyes at the appropriate height.

The bullseyes are seized onto the collar (.020” thread) which runs part way around each side of the mast, where a loop is seized at each end.  The loops are pulled tightly together by a thinner line, or lanyard, that comes around the front end of the mast. More easily understood when looking at the pictures below or those in the instructions.

I assembled a jig similar to the one in the instructions, only I used only T-pins rather than a mix of T-pins and brass tubes as the instructions suggest. After wrapping the collar/thread around the pins, I seized a loop at each end, seized on either side of the center pin, and seized the throat at the end opposite the bullseye seizing.  Since I am not very adept at seizing, this took quite a bit of time.  Don’t tell anyone, but instead of seizing line the old fashioned way as I would have if I were working with a real piece of rope (too difficult to describe here), most of my seizing consists of a row of half hitches. With the very thin fly tying thread I use, you can’t tell the difference.

Not mentioned by the instructions, but the portion of the mast where the lower collar is affixed has a smaller diameter than the upper two, since the chafing protector is smaller lower down.  The jig had to be adjusted accordingly to get the proper length. There is a fourth bobstay collar that is to be installed later on the upper, square section of the lower mast, but I left that for a later day, as do the instructions.  I’ll have to keep in mind, though, that the upper section of mast has an even smaller diameter than the lower one and the jig will need to be adjusted again.

Once each assembly was secured with diluted white glue and all the loose ends were cut, I removed it from the jig and made the lanyards. I took some dark brown sewing thread and first threading it through each loop of the collar.  I then tied an overhand knot as tightly as I could, then tied the other half of a square knot around the other part of the lanyard. A few drops of diluted white glue and the bobstay collars were secure.

IMG_6462.thumb.JPG.b7e69eca71cb76889b3ecdcca2e6fb6c.JPG

IMG_6464.thumb.JPG.c3bb98ccb51d5371df9bdec85847b3b2.JPGIMG_6465.thumb.JPG.387ea354d040b35978cf69e79df0af3e.JPG

IMG_6480.thumb.JPG.01a80e68f0b444a5b90c265dc7770507.JPG

IMG_6466.thumb.JPG.b92398367ee1b8bbe9f95fcea57f1df6.JPG

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

A milestone of sorts . . . I have stepped the mast.

I have mentioned previously that I enlarged the mast hole a bit in each deck so that there would be some wiggle room with which to assure that the mast would be vertical crosswise and would have the correct amount of rake.  Good thing I did that because the resulting wiggle room was minimal, leaving little “wiggle” with which to make adjustments.  

As it leaned naturally the mast had too much rake and leaned a bit to starboard. I spent quite a bit of time making the determination that if I pulled the mast as far forward and as far to port as possible, I was comfortable it was truly vertical athwartship and had close to the requisite 3 ½ degrees of mast rake. But making that determination was not simple, because I could not assume that i) the tops of the bulwarks were parallel to each other and to the water line, ii) the painted waterline was truly horizontal, or iii) the top of the work bench is level in all respects.  I had a bit of a lightbulb-in-the-brain moment one morning when  I walked into my work room, my first cup of coffee in hand. Looking at the model head on from maybe 20 feet away, the mast leaning naturally, I could not remember, and I could not tell, whether it was leaning to port or to starboard.  Maybe, just maybe, I had been overthinking things.

IMG_6487.thumb.JPG.727b41e733dac0b158fac5c6765d3c14.JPGIMG_6488.thumb.JPG.c2695f222f79f11299d5a7b85fe89292.JPG

To eliminate the wiggle and bring the mast forward and to port, I put a drop or two of glue on the bottom of the spar deck mast surround, and positioned it such that the mast was where I wanted it.  I let the glue set a little and pulled the mast out (a tighter fit now) and let the glue dry firmly. I then did the same with the berthing and orlop deck surrounds.  The gun deck surround was a little more problematic, as it was a very  tight fit getting it in place with the guns and pumps and such, and once it was in place, I didn’t feel like pulling it back out to apply some glue.  So that surround is not glued in place . . . nor does it need to be.

IMG_6491.thumb.JPG.d74533279b9b51f47fb8cb9e4c0a071f.JPGIMG_6490.thumb.JPG.28a896d0b4877ccc85fef606dcfc0207.JPG

IMG_6493.thumb.JPG.36274c4abac49c246b940569f53b9a5e.JPGIMG_6492.thumb.JPG.0afdafd434d489a12beec210d3e76fb4.JPG

So now I have some mandatory time away from the shipyard, recovering from lower spinal surgery earlier this week. No bending, twisting or prolonged sitting for several weeks I’m told. Not what I wanted to hear, but the good news is I can walk as much as I feel like, and with a pretty minimal amount of pain meds I’m walking just fine.  So life is good. 😀

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Your Conny is looking good.

Sounds like your surgery was successful. I know exactly what you are going through with your back. I had back surgery in 2019. Eight hours on the table, and numerous screws and pins later, I feel better. I have some loss of flexibility due to the lower back vertebrates being fused, but for the most part, I'm pain free. This was my second surgery, the first one was 40 years earlier. If this one is half as good as the first, I'll be very happy. I hope yours lasts a long time too.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Jon (I hope I'm remembering your name correctly).  I'm pretty happy with my build so far, but it pales in comparison to the masterful job you're doing on your Connie.  I enjoyed the recent discussion about coppering.  As mentioned before in this blog, I have avoided copper plating because most approaches I have seen simply don't look realistic; more "impressionable" approaches discussed in your blog may change my mind.  But maybe the real problem for me is having to overcome laziness. I doubt that I'll ever have the patience you have to devote so many years to one model (5 so far by my count, plus 22 pages of blogging, and you're still working on the hull!!). Kudos to you.

I'm very fortunate that my lower back journey has been much less arduous than yours.  I started having issues about 25 years ago, but PT, stretching, lots of exercise, injections, etc. all helped keep symptoms very manageable and avoided any surgery.  But loss of strength in one leg detected last fall led a few days ago to the removal of a little bone and a lot of arthritis; fortunately no fusion or artificial parts.  With some luck, you'll finish your Connie before I need surgery again.  Biggest challenge in my recovery now is tempering my annoyance when my wife admonishes me about bending, twisting and sitting too long. 😀

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

Two and a half weeks since surgery and all is well, especially since I am back to work on my build (but don’t tell my surgeon I probably don’t stand up from my workbench as often as I should).

Next up . . . installation of the fighting top.  I had not yet glued the trestle trees to the fighting top, wanting to see how the whole thing fit on the mast first.  The instructions have you glue one trestle tree onto the cross trees 3/16” to one side of center, then glue in two 3/8” spacers, then glue the other trestle tree to the ends of the spacers and to the crosstrees. I did that, but only after giving quite a bit of thought to how to place the spacers.  The spacers are cut from 1/8“ by 3/16“ stock (not supplied in the kit), which means they can be aligned horizontally or vertically. The written instructions are not at all helpful in terms of how these spacers are to be fit, but in the photos it looks like one is placed at the aft end of the hole in the fighting top, aligned vertically, and the other is placed forward of where the mast will be, aligned horizontally.  The plans on the other hand don't show the spacers but appear to show the mast flush with the aft end of the hole in the fighting top.  Taking a look at the Google Maps tour of the real thing, the aft side of the mast does appear to be some distance forward of the aft side of the hole, so consistent with the photos in the instructions, I glued one spacer to the aft side of the hole, aligned vertically.  When I added up the dimensions of a vertically aligned spacer and a horizontally aligned spacer, plus the size of the lower mast, plus the size of the lower end of the topmast, it all added up to the length of the hole in the fighting top, which confirmed I was doing the right thing.

The photo below may help make that paragraph somewhat comprehensible.  Understand that the aft spacer is glued in place (between the cheek sheaves, or “thumb cleats” as named in the instructions) and the forward one is only dry fitted, to help me make the trestle trees parallel.  That forward spacer will one day be glued farther aft, creating the appropriate amount of space between the top of the lower mast and the bottom of the topmast.

IMG_6497.thumb.JPG.b78f36a8490d5fc25593c56bb2b6ac01.JPG

Now time to affix the laser cut cheeks to the mast.  This is a bit of a challenge, as flat surfaces need to be carved out of the round chafing protector, which wraps around most of the mast at this height. I mostly used a wireless Dremel tool to do the work, and did an abysmal job on the first try (starboard side), as can be seen in the first picture below.  I filled the gap with a small piece of wood, a lot of glue, and some wood filler, and hid the mess with a coat of paint. Looking at the cheeks from the forward side looks a lot better.

IMG_6499.thumb.JPG.da946b122101b8baf465984214214c5a.JPG

IMG_6503.thumb.JPG.ec98c3096a94d06567d87a4c7fccdf93.JPG

IMG_6500.thumb.JPG.0006866f8aabc1d5a8c39cc99a1fa613.JPG

But there is a lot more to this story, and a lot of work needing to be done to properly glue the cheeks to the mast as pictured above.  The fighting top needs to be (nearly) perfectly aligned in three respects.  Looking at it from the side, it needs to be horizontal, that is, parallel to the water line (assuming the water line is horizontal) but not perpendicular to the mast, given the mast rake.  It also needs to be horizontal looking at it from the bow or stern, that is horizontal athwartship.  And looking at it from above, it needs to be aligned fore and aft, and not twisted relative to the mast.  And since the mast rests on the cheeks, all this alignment is accomplished by careful placement of the cheeks on the mast. Oh, and it will all look best if the cheeks are parallel to each other.  

This is all complicated by the fact that the space between the fighting top’s trestle trees is 3/8“ and the mast at this height is 1/4“ square, meaning that there is nothing to firmly affix the fighting top to other than the cheeks.  I remedied that problem by adding 1/32“ shims on either side of the mast above the cheeks, as can be seen in the second photo above (but not yet attached in the photo below).  Now the fighting top could be firmly dry fit to the mast and aligned properly as described above.

To accomplish all of this, I first dry fit the port cheek to the mast (the port side being where I did a much better job with the cut out).  I held it in place with a pin made from some thin wire. 

IMG_6498.thumb.JPG.1c7f4abf40b5c0c09b4f1c9c9af95999.JPG

Then I dry fit the fighting top, first properly aligning it as described above, and then aligning the cheek with the port trestle tree. Only then did I glue the port cheek to the mast (but not to the fighting top). Then after checking to be sure the fighting top was still properly aligned in all respects, I glued the starboard cheek to the mast. I then pulled the mast out of the ship, did the filling and painting described above, and took the pictures above. That accomplished, I put the mast back into the hull and glued the fighting top to the cheeks and to the mast, again making sure it was all properly aligned.

Now looking for something easy to do, I rigged and attached the Burton Pendants (thank you JSGerson for your March 8 post above for explaining what they are). Only then did I remember to start taking pictures again.

IMG_6509.thumb.JPG.a8617bd47739e22fbec6eabd5dd9541f.JPG

IMG_6507.thumb.JPG.76cd2b4a1dccf2e553b4f05f70048810.JPG

IMG_6508.thumb.JPG.6a7181990c032272c78ebdae8b8e12bc.JPG

IMG_6506.thumb.JPG.b081096520cdda965b93c846d16eec21.JPG

Edited by Tomculb
Corrected date of helpful prior post

Tom

Completed:    

The lower mast is supported by six shrouds on each side; five connected to the hull with deadeyes and lanyards, and the sixth, the swifter, attached by a pair of blocks and lanyard.  The swifter has what one might call adjustable standing rigging, as discussed in usedtosail’s build log of the entire Constitution (starting near the bottom of page 35 of his build log).

Part of that discussion dealt with the appropriate color for such adjustable rigging, and the prevailing opinion was dark brown. On the current Connie the lanyards and deadeys are all black, but since I had left the deadeyes natural (a darkish brown), I made a trip to the local fabric store to find some dark brown thread of the appropriate thickness. I came home with the two spools of brown thread, thinking I probably would use the very dark shade.  But looking at it next to the black shrouds, I was afraid it would be almost indistinguishable from them, and having gone to the trouble to find some brown thread, I wanted it to be a visible detail. In retrospect I think the darker shade might have been better, but I’m happy with what I did.

The swifter is supposed to have a double block attached to the shroud and a triple block hooked to an eyebolt attached to the channel coming out of each side of the hull.  Triple blocks are a bit of a problem on a model of this scale as they appear (to me) to be too large.  The kit supplies a few 5mm triple (and double and single) blocks, and 5mm translates to 15 inches on the real thing.  That’s one enormous block. I chose to use two 4mm doubles instead (the equivalent of 12”), which makes them about the same size as the deadeyes, which I think looks more accurate. The forward pair of shrouds consists of a deadeye, cable or thick line which runs up through the fighting top and around the mast, and back down as a swifter.  The rigged deadeye, hook, blocks and shroud are shown in the second photo below, and shown rigged in the third photo.

IMG_6510.thumb.JPG.b3fe776b64d9d6ed1a47b8c684e0243f.JPG

IMG_6512.thumb.JPG.db1b5fee837aa48e563420ef91c98c29.JPG

IMG_6514.thumb.JPG.835ad6ab9c81a004dc87a3024ca86bad.JPG

The middle and aft pairs are tricky to rig since the deadeyes should all run in a straight line. It took me some trial and error to get there, but this is the routine that ended up working best for me. It may not work for the topmast shrouds, but that's a challenge for another day.

First I seized a deadeye to the end of one of the shrouds (.041” thread supplied with the kit).  Then I lashed the deadeye to a deadeye attached to one of the chainplates.

IMG_6515.thumb.JPG.50614510d435a4f3fac7d22abaa26cf2.JPG

IMG_6516.thumb.JPG.502a15db6346fe9da2acc0401b35917a.JPG

Then I ran the shroud up through the fighting top, around the mast, and back down to the other channel deadeye, where I tied a short piece of thread marking the spot where I wanted a deadeye to be seized to the shroud.  I then brought the shroud back off the mast and seized the deadeye to it as marked by the thread.

IMG_6518.thumb.JPG.39d1f0a021348182640f651b6cf35a9f.JPG

IMG_6519.thumb.JPG.398dc062612d2e44d91a2fdb9b9f1a81.JPG

IMG_6520.thumb.JPG.7f71b726487e17c9676b5fb53e975510.JPG

With the deadeye in place, I ran the shroud back through the fighting top and back down to the hull, and then lashed the deadeyes together. Before lashing them together, I  used another piece of thread to temporarily tie the two parts of the shroud together just below the fighting top. Finally I seized the two shrouds together below the fighting top, replacing what was previously tied temporarily.

IMG_6522.thumb.JPG.709ab7384dbd64ca0067d145fb7382ba.JPG

IMG_6517.thumb.JPG.093f342b6d222e22ed56bb8bd82821f7.JPGIMG_6523.thumb.JPG.93a632a251f63736643d86def51fffb8.JPG

IMG_6527.thumb.JPG.925574aa96f43cbad447d9dc72e5e820.JPG

The one thing I would have done differently, now that I’m a little farther along in the build, is that I would have trimmed the tail ends of the shrouds a measured distance above the deadeyes just after seizing the deadeyes in place. As I will describe in a later post, cutting the thick thread required some heavy duty scissors, and doing so once the shrouds were in place in such a way as to have them all the same length proved to be difficult.

Tom

Completed:    

The sheerpoles are cut from 1/32” brass rod, which I darkened.  Tying them to the shrouds was more of a challenge than it should have been.  First of course you need two hands to tie any kind of knot (at least I do), and a third hand to hold the sheerpole to the shrouds.  I found an inanimate hand for the latter, but I found myself occasionally snagging it with a shirt cuff or bumping the hull, fortunately with no worse damage than raising my irritation level.

IMG_6528.thumb.JPG.9a9848aafd06e32b8ddf47f805dcb255.JPG

IMG_6529.thumb.JPG.36fb2a218419bedf6ac76050ac03bc3f.JPG

What seemed to work best was to lash the sherepole to the middle shroud first. Then before applying any glue, I slid it so that it was properly aligned at either end with the outboard shrouds.  Having carefully cut the sheerpole to the proper length, that looked pretty good . . . until I realized that I couldn’t lash the sheerpole to the shrouds at either end if all I had to work with was a very small length of pole extending beyond the shrouds at either end.  So I started over with a sherepole that was about 1/4“ or so too long, lashed it in the middle and both ends, slid it out so the extra length was all at the aft end, cut the excess off with wire cutters, then applied a healthy dose of diluted white glue after adding the other two lashings.

IMG_6533.thumb.JPG.b635c90f87018977b639daf6dc03a62f.JPG

Next project was cutting the tail ends of the shrouds to equal lengths and then seizing them to the standing part of the shroud.  As mentioned in my last post, this would have been a lot easier if I had cut them when they were still flat on the work bench, easier to measure and to cut.  I found that my usual thread cutting scissors didn’t work on the shrouds’ thick thread, nor did my Xacto knife (with a sharp blade) since there was nothing firm to cut against.  What did work was a pair of office scissors, but it made me feel like I was working on my model with a chainsaw.

On the port side I tried just eyeballing things, and I didn’t get them as even as I would have liked. The problem was that with those giant scissors, I had to pull the thread I was cutting away from everything else, losing sight of where the cut needed to be. On the starboard side, I took some beige thread and tied that where the cut needed to be, with better results.  

I also found seizing the two parts of each shroud together to be difficult, in large part because despite contacts, reading glasses and bright lights, the very thin black thread disappeared in front of the dark and black background.  In one of those “why didn’t I think of that before” moments, I slid a white piece of paper in behind the deadeyes, which made the job a lot easier.

IMG_6570.thumb.JPG.0ebd01dafe68b7775813bc438e9e50a9.JPGIMG_6535.thumb.jpg.2649714c01c88db7bb01794be1565308.jpg

IMG_6574.thumb.JPG.370e18622e05a8328cde51a12091caf1.JPG

IMG_6573.thumb.JPG.9e2b96712cf737e1c6ac880e9a2c1f5d.JPG

While working on all of this tedious tying of knots, I took an occasional break to work on some other detail I hadn't finished previously.  I'll put a post together about that sometime this weekend. I have also been giving a lot of thought lately to the futtock and bentinck shrouds, which I'm about to get started on. My thinking now is that I won't add the ratlines until after most or all of the running rigging is in place.

Tom

Completed:    

Some fun things I did while taking an occasional break from rigging shrouds and sheerpoles . . . 

Previously I installed three jackstay collars on the mast. Now I added the fourth, just above the fighting top.

IMG_6541.thumb.JPG.6dd387d0c220dd6a33a4c22f26fcb81c.JPG

IMG_6568.thumb.JPG.4d596777058a4ca11835f2426e9635f9.JPG

The bell and its bracket are Britannia metal.  The instructions suggest polishing the bell, but I left it as is, thinking I probably can’t improve much on its shine.  The bracket required quite a bit of bending to get it to fit right, and then I painted it black.  I used some heavy string for the lanyard, and dipped it in diluted white glue to stiffen it and keep it from unraveling. The instructions direct drilling a hole inside the top of the bell’s cone, gluing an eyebolt in, and affixing the lanyard to the eyebolt.  I simply turned the bell upside down, dripped a large drop of thick CA into what was now the bottom of the cone, and stuck one end of the lanyard into the glue, holding it long enough to dry. Then I glued the bell to the bracket, drilled a hole in the mast for the pin that is part of the bracket, and dry fit the whole thing in place for the picture below.  I don’t think I’ll glue it in place until the rigging is complete.

IMG_6537.thumb.jpg.8e5448780886fd35014bc2c514c8920c.jpg

Next I painted about 30 (instead of the 50 suggested by the instructions) belaying pins with Tamiya’s Flat Earth.  With a small drop of CA, I glued pins into all the holes where the plans show something will be belayed, plus a handful of additional holes.  The belaying rail has two rows of holes on its fore/aft arms, but I fear that pins that close together will be very difficult to belay to, and I left the inner rows of holes empty. The hole in the mast for the bell assembly is visible in this photo.

IMG_6577.thumb.JPG.89a9dbf5ec3dbe8cd2a40f4137b489fe.JPG

The boarding pike racks consist of a thicker, upper rack with holes in it, and two thinner racks (one with holes, one without) to be glued together as the bottom rack. The pikes themselves are made from pieces of 1/16” brass rod.  The instructions suggest hammering the tip of each flat, then trimming it to form something like the tip of an arrow.  No doubt in my mind that had I gotten my hammer out, I would have I would have i) missed the target entirely, ii) flattened more of the rod than intended, iii) flattened a thumb or finger, and iv) on rare occasions gotten it right. 🤪 I used a Dremel tool instead, slowly rotating the rod between my thumb and forefinger, while holding it against the spinning Dremel bit. With a little trial and error I get most of them right. The instructions suggest painting the tips shiny silver, but I left them bare, which is pretty shiny as is, and the fact that they are brass instead of the color of some other metal is hardly noticeable.

I assembled the racks and pikes with a jig I made with the placeholder mast stub used earlier in the build, along with some double sided Scotch tape. I stuck a strip of wood to the tape on the “mast” for alignment, then stuck the brackets on. I slid each pike through the upper bracket, then applied a tiny drop of thick CA to the bottom of the pike and slipped it into its hole in the lower bracket.  I then applied some diluted white glue to the bottom of the upper bracket and the pikes . . . of the various kinds of glue I use, diluted white seems to be the least visible when dry.  After everything had dried, I carefully peeled the whole assembly off the jig and glued it to the side of the real mast.

IMG_6575.thumb.JPG.a40ec745bfb9acec8023ee8b56cbd48f.JPG

IMG_6581.thumb.JPG.ffbbd6c838cbf31340fd57a7b2dedff7.JPG

IMG_6580.thumb.JPG.b3e76467cc037d49c7cadb94b1ce90e3.JPG

Meanwhile, work continues, slowly, on the futtock and bentinck shrouds.

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

On each side, the futtock shrouds run from the eyebolts on the bottom of the fighting top (below the topsail shroud deadeyes), down to a ring at the top of the bentinck shroud. The bentinck shroud runs down from there across to an eyebolt previously installed (hopefully) in the waterway on the opposite side.  The whole assembly is designed to secure the upper mast standing rigging (topsail, topgallant and royal shrouds) to the hull and not just to the fighting top.

Back in February I expressed puzzlement as to the rigging of the futtock shrouds, especially where they intercept the lower main shrouds.  Photos supplied by usedtosail and JSGerson were a huge help in getting me educated.  Thank you.

Futtock3.thumb.jpg.d9e53c8fe0e13c5223027b236f39fa80.jpg

Futtock2.thumb.jpg.01ae0f756f2d9f34db5f6b7a9cb2cd01.jpg

Futtock1.thumb.jpg.6add5d6d8cf9e7ee697a21b16c993bc8.jpg

Each futtock shroud has three parts, an upper one hooked to an eyebolt on the fighting top, a lower one attached to the ring at the top of the bentinck shroud, and a middle one connecting the other two in the immediate vicinity of the main shroud. The middle part appears to be some sort of lanyard (adjustable standing rigging), and that is the way it is depicted in the instructions to MS’s full Connie kit.  In the picture below it appears to have some sort of anti-chafing cover (probably a late 18th century equivalent to Kevlar). 😀

253624456_Untitledpresentation.jpg.ecbf7571a177b1ddf17b366fdd35dac9.jpg

I don’t care much for this kit’s approach.  It has large, circular thimbles seized just below the hooks at the upper end of the upper part, and on either side of the main shroud (the latter being the middle part).  Because they are circular and too large, these thimbles do not look like anything on the real ship. The real ship does appear to have thimbles in these places, but they are tear shaped, not round, and they are small enough to be almost impossible to duplicate at this scale.  Also, put together per the kit, instead of running a straight line with the bentinck shroud, the futtock shrouds would take an awkward, and unrealistic, jog at the main shroud, as seen in this picture in the instructions.

IMG_6596.thumb.JPG.3ca245feb15b80b90ef117ae63c06a2a.JPG

There are a lot of parts to these shrouds.  The picture below shows how I put them all together for the starboard side futtock shrouds (yet to be installed), after having a very difficult time rigging everything on the port side. From left to right are: 

• 5 futtock shroud upper parts, with a hook at the upper end and a small tear shaped loop at the other end

• The bentinck shroud with (from top to bottom): 

• the lanyard which will be the middle part of the center futtock shroud

• the lower part of the center futtock shroud

• a large ring, through which run two pairs of futtock shroud lower parts, with loops at each end, to which I will tie the middle part lanyards, and

• a bullseye seized at the lowest end

• The lowest part of the bentinck shroud, at one end of which is the hook which engages the eyebolt in the waterway, and at the other end a bullseye to which is tied the dark brown lanyard will be lash the two bullseyes together.

IMG_6606.thumb.JPG.675b89355cc07e3fdb870c7c6e1d983d.JPG

Rigging this was a matter of lashing the lower part of each futtock shroud to the corresponding upper part, and that proved to be difficult and at times very frustrating.  Rigging the first one (the center one) took me over 2 hours spread over 3 different attempts.  The biggest part of the problem was being able to see clearly what I was working on, due in part to the fact that I wear monovision contacts; that is, one eye adjusted for distance and the other for closeup.  They work amazingly well for just about everything (including biking and skiing). But for this closeup work and with multiple layers of rigging in front of me, I had difficulty getting my eyes to focus on the layer I needed to see. A big help was finding a very bright headlight stashed among some camping gear.  With the lamp, perseverance, focus and some salty seaman’s language, I got the other four rigged in less time than it took to rig the first one.  

IMG_6613.thumb.jpg.61515dccdd554615510e2886c5f1ce81.jpg

After finishing that task, I lashed the futtock stave to the main mast shrouds, then rigged a couple of ratlines on those shrouds so that the less courageous members of my crew (that would be me) can climb through the lubber hole in the fighting top.  That rigging was also quite difficult since I had the futtock shrouds between me and what I was working on. One of the ratlines is missing in the second picture below -- the glue didn't hold well enough and it came untied from the shroud. ☹️

Finally I rigged some ratlines to the futtock shrouds, a task which was much easier than what had preceded it.

IMG_6610.thumb.JPG.37461475b71b046479d31362149bd4a3.JPG

IMG_6603.thumb.JPG.f530d700faeedb871413a9725cb7aa16.JPG

So now moving on to doing it all over again on the other side.  As can be seen from the picture of all the parts above, I rigged everything I could before attaching anything to the model, something I had not done the first time around.  I will also lash the futtock stave and a couple of ratlines to the main shrouds before installing the futtock shrouds.  All of this should make things a little easier.  I admire those of you who have built models of the entire ship . . . I only have to do this twice, and you have done it six times!

Tom

Completed:    

Very nicely done! Now I finally understand what that confusing part of the rigging is for! Thanks for the explanation and pix.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Very nicely done! I suspect of all of the attributes you listed, ...

With the lamp, perseverance, focus and some salty seaman’s language, I got the other four rigged in less time than it took to rig the first one.

..."salty seaman's language" was probably the easiest to learn 😁

Thanks for the likes and all the kind words.

Funny thing . . . I struggled for five years in high school and college trying to learn French, and I never learned enough to carry on a meaningful conversation.  Salty seaman's language on the other hand comes quite naturally.  😁

Tom

Completed:    

Second time around installing the futtock/bentinck shroud assemblies went much better than the first time.  I learned a few things from my first efforts, like looking at things from frequently changing different angles to find the one where I could see the most clearly.  Counter-intuitively, a bright background (leaving the blinds open with all the light we get this time of year) did not create unwanted glare but shed some light on what is otherwise a lot of dark subjects (guess I hadn't figured that out when I took the first picture below). And of course it helps knowing the task is going to be challenging, instead of being caught by surprise like the first time.  

But before installing the futtock shrouds, the first thing I did was to tie the futtock stave to the lower shrouds. To do that, I had to know where the futtock shrouds would meet the lower shrouds, which I did by running a piece of beige thread (beige for better visibility) from the middle eyebolt on the underside of the fighting top to a place on the deck near the waterway. I tied another thread on the middle shroud to mark the spot.

IMG_6608.thumb.JPG.e2d81b8120538789032f03532e35bd3d.JPG

Next I tied a couple of ratlines to the shrouds above the stave; much easier to do without the futtock shrouds in the way.

Then an unexpected challenge . . . securing the lower end of the bentinck shroud to the eyebolt in the waterway.  I wanted to have the bentinck shroud in place, with its two parts loosely lashed together before lashing the two parts of each futtock shroud together.

Several months ago I described having done that and finding it easier than I expected to get the hook into the eyebolt between the two cannons and all their rigging.  Doing that was more difficult this time, because the mast and lower shrouds are now also in the way.  But I got it done, and for good measure I managed to get a drop of CA on the hook and eyebolt.  

Unfortunately while installing the center futtock shroud, the seizing of the bullseye to the lower part of the bentinck shroud came undone.  Now I regretted that drop of CA.  With a great deal of effort, and fear that while using the necessary force I would tear apart a cannon, its rigging or a shroud, I managed to get the hook out of the eyebolt.  I then put together a new lower part of the bentinck shroud, this time double seizing the bullseye. However, as I feared, there was no way I was going to get a hook back into that eyebolt -- too much CA left behind.  So, again with a frightening amount of effort, I managed to pull the eyebolt out of the waterway.  I then drilled a new hole in the waterway (somehow working my pin vice drill through the opposite shrouds and around the mast) and then managed to glue a new eyebolt in the hole.  With a great sigh of relief I then hooked the new lower bentinck shroud to the new eyebolt, this time forgoing a drop of CA until the rest of the bentinck/futtock shroud project was finished.

upsidedown.jpg.2ddd3fd24552b493bea390a4d6df016c.jpg

IMG_6621.thumb.JPG.759300124efc7aa5b317364888b49d0c.JPG

IMG_6626.thumb.JPG.456a742be542563655d4ef44903accb7.JPG

Finally after lashing all the futtock shroud parts together, I added ratlines to the futtock shrouds and got a few pictures of the finished project.

IMG_6623.thumb.JPG.213a9e9d13f4359bba23a14a233017ee.JPG

IMG_6624.thumb.JPG.59a48e56d19e9f8bbba719fd03d44436.JPG

IMG_6625.thumb.JPG.fa27ba2786e6b488d275f002a4c0c1a7.JPG

IMG_6627.thumb.JPG.5968dbbf75cd060ad93497b35b61b14f.JPG

Some parting thoughts as I look at the morass of black thread I have created. 

In another build log I was reading recently there was a discussion about detail, there in the context of treenails in deck planking.  The builder had done a masterful job with toothpick tips as treenails, but both the kit’s supplied planks, and the treenails, were way too large to be true to scale.  Of course some models are built to be beautiful models, at the expense of a degree of accuracy, and others are built with an eye toward accuracy--neither approach being better than the other.  One post in the discussion of the latter approach expressed a preference for not trying to duplicate treenails at all, because they are simply too small to depict accurately.  The poster’s philosophy regarding detail was “When in doubt, leave it out.”  That led me to wonder whether trying to duplicate the three parts of each futtock shroud was a good example of a detail that could have been left out and whether a single piece futtock shroud, lashed to the lower shroud, would have been sufficient. Would that have resulted in a cleaner, easier to see finished product?  One problem with tiny detail is that if you look closely enough to see it, you can also see flaws that disclose a less than masterful job.  Just like closeup photos tend to show what we would just as soon not see. Unfortunately some of that can be seen in the photos above.

Beginning to work on the topmast now . . .

Tom

Completed:    

My philosophy on details and accuracy is simple. I like detail where the closer you look; the more detail is revealed. What most of us are making are models, not accurate miniature reproductions. Things like tree nails that I added on my Rattlesnake hull and deck, I did not accentuate their presence by increasing their contrast so you could see them better. From a foot away, the casual observer would not see them. Get closer, the detail reveals itself. On the real ship they blend in with the background wood. I got the detail and some of the accuracy.

On my Constitution there is no point for tree nails, the scale is too small and everything is painted. I am copper plating the Constitution’s hull with individual copper plates, but I total ignored the copper plate nail pattern found on the actual ship. The detail is too small for the scale, but I tried to give the impression of nails in the plate. I embossed the plates with rough sandpaper, so the plates are not shiny mirror smooth and give the impression it is covered with copper nails. Sometimes I do add detail that the typical viewer would not see (“for God’s eye”) because it was just fun to do, I try to balance the effort of creating that detail versus the chances of actually seeing it on the model. If it’s “easy and fun” to do I might add it. If it is difficult, probably not. I provided enough detail (hopefully) but not all on the gun deck furniture so that when viewed through the (planed) selected opened planks of the spar deck, the observer will get a sense of what it looks like below decks. The builder is the master of his model world. If it pleases him (her), then it’s good enough.

Wise words well spoken, especially "fun to do" and "the builder is the master of his model world. If it pleases him (her), then it’s good enough."  Looking at more than just approaches to detail . . . I used the word "accuracy" above, but I think the better word to express my goals would be "realism."   I'm not into a lot of historical research, but I do want a model that looks something like the original one did.  So I will never put a brass anchor chain on a model. But that's just me.  A lot of bare brass, exotic woods, and wide deck planks with prominent treenails can make a beautiful model, displaying modeling skills I can only dream of.  And there is some likelihood that my next build will be a kit from Occre. But the way I will do it, it won't look much like a typical Occre build.  

Tom

Completed:    

Here is the topmast completed. It is made from two pieces, a 5/16” square short bottom section and a considerably longer 1/4” dowel. The length of the dowel specified in the instructions is about 1/4” short of what is shown on the plans, and I follow the plans when there are discrepancies between the two.

IMG_6655.thumb.JPG.9225d3fc97b93129c7342909fbde8cdd.JPG

The instructions direct turning or carving a 3/16” peg on the bottom of the dowel to fit into a hole drilled in the square part. I found it easier to drill a considerably smaller hole in one end of each piece of wood to fit a metal rod cut from a large paper clip. For the fids I drilled a couple of 3/32” holes on each side of the square piece, into which I pressed a couple of pieces of 1/16” square stock.  The upper half of the square piece was then carved to an octagonal cross section, and then rounded at the top to make a clean transition to the dowel.

IMG_6502.thumb.jpg.7a5848fa1d00130c97dd4e45b1944c6b.jpg

IMG_6632.thumb.JPG.b37b4c0f4beda42b5e69043c245ac89d.JPG

I had already cut and painted a spacer, which I now glued in place, to fit in the fighting top between the lower mast and the topmast.  When I dry fit the topmast into place, I found that it had slightly more rake than the lower mast.  A little sanding of the spacer and insertion of a very thin shim in the forward part of the fighting top hole solved the problem.

IMG_6633.thumb.JPG.cc01e523d76391f19dd239e5ee5a9af4.JPG

Before doing any of the following, it is important to slide the lower mast's mast cap onto the topmast.

The upper 2” or so (check the plans) of the topmast is cut to a 3/16” square, with a 1/8” square at the very top to fit into its mast cap. Two cheeks are then glued on to the mast near the bottom of that squared section.  I put a fair amount of effort into getting the cheeks properly aligned so that their tops are parallel to the fighting top and not perpendicular to the mast. Then the two trestle trees were added (being sure they were parallel, aligned fore and aft, and not twisted relative to the hull), and the three cross trees were glued into slots in the trestle trees (together with the cheeks, all laser cut). 

IMG_6636.thumb.JPG.6c20ce2854743183c02605de1646fb9a.JPG

IMG_6637.thumb.JPG.7fe7a0b76418df8505a857eaf1198423.JPG

Close, but not exactly right . . . 

IMG_6642.thumb.JPG.a3a7689ffe2f50025f4cd3d6ee258251.JPG

IMG_6641.thumb.JPG.8c9f9fd4f827e571a07ad5641cfaf046.JPG

Focusing on alignment I made an error.  Consistent with a photo in the instructions, and not consistent with the plans, I glued the cheeks in place with their back edges more or less flush with the aft side of the mast. Instead the back ends of the cheeks should be in the middle of each side of the mast, so that their front portions more or less “grasp” the bottom of the topgallant mast. I was tempted to pry the cheeks off to correct this, but I didn’t notice the problem until the trestle trees were glued to the cheeks and the cross trees were glued to the trestle trees.  I decided that prying the cheeks off at this point risked doing serious damage.

IMG_6640.thumb.JPG.7980c624210a86d1855ea781d4e6c720.JPG

IMG_6654.thumb.JPG.ad222a62c6844caf019e6186a8ed647f.JPG

Similar to the fighting top, this assemblage has a pair of bolsters over which the shrouds will run. Oddly they are laser cut when they could be easily cut from square stock (one side needing to be rounded in either event). More odd still, the laser cut pieces are 1/8” square when they should clearly be 1/16” square (as shown in the plans; see above).  Easily remedied but as I said, odd.

IMG_6657.thumb.jpg.3993d48271a668f5b79aa8df63f30b3c.jpg

Then there are two very thin, laser cut wedges which the instructions say are to be glued to the mast with their tops flush with the tops of the cheeks.  For some reason I did not put them on until the trees were in place. I therefore noticed that they won’t support anything (assuming that’s their purpose) unless they are placed slightly higher on the mast, pushing up against the bottom of the middle cross tree.

IMG_6645.thumb.JPG.951bdb482b985e15db2ea1a0c6b7c53f.JPG

Finally just below the mast cap there are a couple of laser cut boxes, each containing a couple of sheaves. The instructions refer to the sheaves in bold type (the convention used to show that something is a supplied part), but no part number.  Plan sheet 3 has drawings of all the parts, with descriptions and part numbers.  Taking a look at that, I found “Top Mast and Cheek Sheaves”, which seemed to be what I was looking for if you eliminate the “and”.  But . . . there are only three of them, not four, and they are too small to fit in the laser cut cheeks.  Just below them on the plan sheet are “Topgallant and Main Yard Sheaves”, that fit perfectly, but again there are only three of them!  Doing a search of the pdf version of the instructions, I find that there is a “sheave hole” in the topgallant mast and in the main yard (and the other three yards as well), but no mention of sheaves to go in those holes.  So I decided to use those pieces, along with one of the thimbles I didn’t use rigging the futtock shrouds a couple of weeks ago.  I glued a thin slice of dowel in the large hole of the latter and then drilled a small hole to accommodate a nail which simulates the sheave axle.

IMG_6646.thumb.jpg.832533ad934b37629973d5fc980b75a0.jpg

IMG_6647.thumb.JPG.849231285ed550059713e86d233f95d9.JPG

IMG_6655.thumb.JPG.3615382ef97e9ebc92894395b8e133c0.JPG

IMG_6656.thumb.JPG.d99bb9de85fb525d2815bc1d225bf55e.JPG

Now that these cheek sheaves are in place, they look to me too large and a bit out of place.  I took a look at the Google Maps ship tour to see how they look on the real thing, and they aren’t even there! Which makes me tempted to pry them off.  Searching the instructions I can’t find any lines that run through them.  I’ll leave that decision to another day.  

Meanwhile I have started working on the topgallant mast.  Spoiler alert . . . don’t rely on the dimensions referred to in the instructions; many of them are wrong.

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

I have a recently deceased uncle who was a craftsman of all sorts, including modeling. When going through his things we found an in-tact version of this cross-section model kit, as well as a 1:93 scale full model of the Constitution. We are selling a few things to raise money for his estate, and more importantly want the kits to go to people who will enjoy and appreciate them. If anyone has any interest, please contact me. (Apologies if this is not allowed here... I found the site when researching the model.)

Building the topgallant mast is mostly the same as building the topmast, but on a smaller scale.

637221013_IMG_6669(1).thumb.JPG.1e48c6c63eee8d6f33b15b3ff34d2170.JPG

First, though, be aware of the following errors in the instructions:

• The bottom part of the mast is said to be cut from 1/4” square stock, when the plans and parts list show/say 3/16” square.  1/4” is clearly too large.
  • The bottom part is said to be 1 5/8” long, which includes a 1/4” peg to fit into the hole you drill into the dowel part.  If you don’t include the peg (I didn’t), that translates to 1 3/8”.  The plans show the lower part to be 1 1/16”, which appears more consistent with pictures of the real ship. 
  • Most of the mast is made from a dowel, described as 1/4” round, when the plans and parts list show/say 3/16” round.  Again, 1/4” would be way too large.
  • The instructions say to sand a “slight taper” in the dowel from 1/4” to 1/8”, but on the plans it’s clear that that the mast needs to be tapered from 3/16” to about 1/16”, a fairly dramatic taper.

As I did with the topmast, I connected the two parts of the mast with a pin cut from a paper clip (regular size this time) and drilled appropriately sized holes in one end of the dowel and one end of the square part. The top (approx.) half of the square part is sanded to an octagon cross section, similar to the top mast. My octagon vaguely resembles a stop sign, but at this scale it’s close enough.

IMG_6667.thumb.JPG.0c78da30464a4ab11fa2fd782281db43.JPG

The topgallant cheek/crosstree/trestletree/wedge/bolster assembly is also similar to the one on the topmast, but with only two crosstrees instead of three.  It’s enough smaller than the topmast assembly that working with the pieces proved to be challenging given my large, clumsy, arthritic thumbs, but it was doable.  This time I assembled two trestle trees and one crosstree, and glued it onto a section of the mast I had sanded square.  I then added the other parts, gluing the cheeks in place last.  As with the topmast assembly, the bolsters were laser cut (this time the appropriate size), but they are so small that I found sanding them to a quarter round to be virtually impossible.  So instead I used some 1/16” square stock, rounded an inch or so at the end, then cut off pieces of the appropriate length.

IMG_6670.thumb.JPG.053af48946ff193b0a3cc74284e0c3eb.JPG

About 1 1/2” down from the top there is what is referred to as a “shoulder” -- an octagon cross section, cone-shaped piece that wraps around the mast.  The instructions vaguely direct making this piece from four 1/4” x 1/4” x 1/8” blocks.  I took what I think was a simpler approach -- sand beveled about 3” of a 1/16” stick, then cut off eight or nine 1/4” pieces and glued them around the mast.  Using a Dremel tool I shaped it into a cone.  In cross section It is supposed to be an octagon, but the difference between that and my circular one shouldn't be noticeable, especially when draped with shrouds.

IMG_6665.thumb.JPG.34cb854cd9d7318285e72b0ba6091b85.JPG

The mast cap, or truck, is a laser cut circle with a predrilled hole.  The hole needed to be enlarged some, and the resulting donut needed to be rounded so as to be oval shaped when viewed from the side.

And now, 18th century mast cap meets early 20th century landing gear . . .

IMG_6668.thumb.JPG.2979104d391594afb6bcfeb47864c34c.JPG

Tom

Completed:    

ELV, I recently discovered that there is an organization of model ship builders, the USS Constitution Model Shipwright Guild https://www.usscmsg.org affiliated with the USS Constitution Museum.  I suggest contacting them to see if they know anyone who would be interested in purchasing those kits.

Good luck

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

Before tackling the topmast shrouds . . . .

I mentioned before that there are ten eyebolts that need to be added to the fighting top and that it would have been easier to do that before the deadeyes were added to the fighting top and it was installed on the mast. These eyebolts, just inside the shroud deadeyes, secure the topgallant and royal shrouds. The only mention of those eyebolts in the instructions is in a caption to one of the photos.  Holes for three of these deadeyes are pre-drilled in the fighting top deck, but those holes are considerably larger in diameter than the eyebolt stems. My solution for that problem was doubling the stems back on themselves so they would fight more tightly in the holes.

The instructions say to add the topmast to the lower mast just before installing its shrouds.  They don’t say anything about when to add the just completed topgallant mast.  My initial thought was to glue these upper two masts together, add the Jacob’s ladder and the monkey rope, then glue the assembled masts to the lower mast.  But then it occurred to me that looping the topmast shrouds over the top of the  topmast would be easier than threading the shrouds through the narrow gap between that mast and the topgallant mast.  So I did what I was told and glued just the topmast in place.  

Edit added a couple of weeks later:  This would be a good time to add holes for pins to both these masts where the topgallant and royal yards will be attached. It's a lot easier to drill these holes when the masts are resting on top of your workbench than when the masts have become part of the ship. Similarly, use a drill bit to clear any dried paint out of the holes at the end of each mast's crosstrees.

I knew that installing the topgallant and royal shrouds after installing the topmast shrouds (as instructed) would be near impossible.  So I cut the necessary pieces of thread for the upper shrouds, attached a hook to one end of each of them, and hooked six of them in place on the three middle eyebolts on each side, adding a small drop of thick CA to be sure they stay there.  On each side, one topgallant shroud and one royal shroud will loop around the appropriate part of the topgallant mast and come back down to an unoccupied eyebolt on the either end of the row of eyebolts.  Hopefully those eyebolts will be easily accessible since they are on the end.  However it won’t be possible to complete these upper shrouds until the topmast shrouds are completed, since the former shrouds run up just inside the latter, then bend outward around a futtock stave attached to the topmast shrouds, before engaging with the topgallant crosstrees. And of course the topgallant mast must be installed if these shrouds are to engage with its crosstrees This means a large amount of thread has to be stored, kept untangled, and kept separated from the topmast shrouds, somewhere up the mast assembly.  My approach (and I am sure there are better ones) can be seen in the last of these photos.

The forward topmast shroud passes around the topmast and down the other side, and In these photos you can see that I have have lashed together the deadeyes for that shroud on the port side and just started to do so on the starboard side. The other topmast shrouds will loop around the topmast and come back down the same side.

IMG_6674.thumb.JPG.5cfdbf2ee1e68d6fc56422ea726a7e3e.JPGIMG_6673.thumb.JPG.4c1946887a4d61fbe77ffc1df1abc998.JPGIMG_6672.thumb.JPG.d27d93e897a2786957babc9b5617ef11.JPG

IMG_6675.thumb.JPG.187aef77e20c44152bf8b11d7157f065.JPG

By comparison, putting together the Jacob’s ladder and the monkey rope was pretty straightforward and easy.  I used graph paper as part of a jig for the former, and simply used my eyeballs to properly space the knots in the latter. The top of the monkey rope won’t be secured until I have looped topgallant shrouds over where it is secured at the bottom.

IMG_6671.thumb.JPG.a16f5b4bd1145640957f8620c1aaf23a.JPG

IMG_6678.thumb.JPG.ccdd2f01796d1352f6e7ebc2e6380177.JPG

Edited by Tomculb
Information learned later that would have been nice to know at this stage in the build

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

Shrouds . . . topmast, topgallant and royal.

I’ve been busy building, not taking very many pictures, and not writing at all.  So I’m a little behind with this blog.

First, a couple of general comments about these upper shrouds.

• I have not served any of the shrouds.  I do not have a serving machine, and while I would be willing to purchase one if I really wanted to, I’m concerned that serving would make the shrouds very difficult to work with, and would add a detail all but the most discerning eyes would never notice or appreciate.  In other words, not worth the effort. Feel free to disagree and show me the error of my ways.
  • The instructions have you use the same thread for the lower and topmast shrouds, but it seems to me that the shrouds should decrease in diameter the higher up the mast they are. The following screenshot from the Google tour makes it clear that the topmast shrouds are noticeably thinner than the lower shrouds. Also, on the real ship, no need having any more weight than you need up there. I used the kit supplied .040” thread for the lower shrouds, and I think I used kit supplied .020” thread for the topgallant and royal shrouds, but I found something in between for the topmast shrouds.  That thread, left over from some other build, was extremely stiff, and although I soaked it two or three times and hung it weighted to dry, it proved difficult to work with.  Worth the effort though. 149652563_Screenshot2022-07-1511_11_30AM.thumb.png.e1ff9b121835d6d9a900fee413749b0c.png

As mentioned previously, I rigged the topmast shrouds before stepping the topgallant mast.  That way I could do the following:  I seized a deadeye onto one end of the shroud, lashed it to the corresponding deadeye in the fighting top, ran the shroud up and around the top of the topmast, back down to toward the fighting top, and tightly tied a thinner piece of thread around it right where I wanted the adjacent deadeye to be. I then unwrapped it from the mast and brought it all down to earth where I could easily seize on that second deadeye.  The first photo below shows that, but it’s not a very good picture and you have to look at it pretty closely to see what I mean.

What I just said applies to the four aftmost shrouds on each side.  The forward shroud on each side goes up and around the mast, but back down the opposite side of the ship to be the forward shroud on the other side. Same approach though in undoing it all after marking where I wanted the deadeye to be on the second side.

Too much text . . . time for a couple of pictures.

IMG_6677.thumb.JPG.2ac4bbbb14ae210fc24c563152c5b114.JPG

IMG_6680.thumb.JPG.c50832a536537f94b99559f5d73aaf82.JPG

Next challenge was installing short (½” long) futtock staves even with the bottom of the topmast cheeks. These are not only seized to the topmast shrouds, but each is prevented from being pulled outward by a catharpin; that is, a piece of rigging seized to one end of the stave, wrapped around the topmast and seized to the other end of the stave. These are needed because the topgallant and royal shrouds will run up the inside of the topmast shrouds, run inside and above the futtock staves, then run up and out to the topgallant crosstrees as futtock shrouds, before running further up to their endpoints on the topgallant mast. I found it easier to seize these catharpins to the futtock staves first, then seize the staves to the topmast shrouds.

IMG_6682.thumb.JPG.e63ab7e3e94b68bdc5437e9517dc0237.JPG

With the topmast shrouds completed, I installed the topgallant mast.With all the masts now in place, I installed the Jacob’s ladder, which was pretty straightforward.  Except that the top of the ladder has a built in twist, and I haven’t figured out how to straighten it (pictures taken out of order, after rigging the upper shrouds).  

IMG_6693.thumb.JPG.29ba6bc43366cd8caaedbe3d9e4f6ba0.JPG

IMG_6694.thumb.JPG.4bb1d061814974f0c5e21320aa9b6887.JPG

A photo in the instructions numbers the eyebolts in the fighting top just behind the topmast shroud deadeyes, 1 through 5 aft to forward. As described in my prior post, I seized lengthy pieces of thread to hooks that I attached to eyebolts 2, 3 and 4.  Number 4 was rigged first, and that one ran up and around the futtock stave, through the hole in the middle topmast cross tree, and up to the topgallant mast just above its crosstrees where it was seized in place.  Number three ran a similar course, but it went around the topmast and back down, through the hole in the forward topmast cross tree, and after passing behind the futtock stave, down to a hook to be attached to unoccupied eyebolt 5.  The thread attached to eyebolt 3 did the same thing except after passing through the notch in the middle topmast cross tree, it passed through holes in the topgallant crosstrees, before wrapping around the topgallant mast at the shoulder, then took the same long route back down, where it eventually hooked into eyebolt 1.   

Except when I forgot to run it behind the futtock stave on the way down, a potentially costly mistake I noticed (fortunately) just before applying glue to the hook seizing at eyebolt 1. 

IMG_6688.thumb.JPG.5ae819aa9d330520c767bbf5e146d3f1.JPG

In each case where a shroud wrapped around the mast and headed back down, I seized the two parts of the shroud at the mast.  Perhaps not necessary in the case of the topgallant shrouds but certainly necessary in the case of the royal shrouds.  These royal shrouds also secure the top end of the monkey rope in place.  Three blocks will eventually be seized to the mast at this location, giving additional security to the top end of the monkey rope, and this end of the rope will not be clipped off until those blocks are in place. 

Now several pictures, somewhat random order.

IMG_6681.thumb.JPG.d5c9b85e3a32fcfb9d3064d7e94513c9.JPG

IMG_6685.thumb.JPG.74c2ce2c8b7a306bb7faaee3fd5401a4.JPG

IMG_6690.thumb.JPG.12b270b39face107ab1244c166859fc2.JPG

IMG_6691.thumb.JPG.ea35a8f05092f92dadf71a25363c88fb.JPG

IMG_6695.thumb.JPG.09a789bffe738bdb3a0c82040fd131eb.JPG

IMG_6698.thumb.JPG.b100114ce5f038a721c2414bca9de122.JPG

IMG_6699.thumb.JPG.9a343cc336e9da753253bd583f948088.JPG

Next will be sheerpoles seized to the bottoms of the topmast shrouds, and then there is something else. . . oh yes, ratlines!

Tom

Completed:    

A quick update on ratlines.  It’s tedious as I expected, but if you get into a certain rhythm, it can go pretty quickly.  I’m doing two or three pairs a day, while I work on the yards.

While wandering around these forums recently I came across a link to the following youTube video, which I found to be very helpful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMmGFWJhi8E

Three things I've been doing a bit differently than shown on the video.  First, I found some ¼” square graph paper lying around the house, and I put a piece of that behind these shrouds rather than plain white paper.  Recall that the topgallant and royal shrouds are right behind these shrouds, and I was hoping the fit would be tight enough that the graph paper would stay in place.  It wasn’t, and the paper frequently slipped (the black line being where a sheerpole is to be installed.

IMG_6700.thumb.JPG.99b03d3afb3378a940a945a6d18b04cc.JPG

IMG_6702.thumb.JPG.8c582f07abc6de0f391e244a16b56ce2.JPG

Second, instead of using a hook to pull the thread through to the front, I use tweezers. I fear that getting the hook far enough back there might damage the shrouds.

Third, instead of tying an overhand knot on one of the end shrouds (left one in the case of the video), I tie an overhand knot on the middle shroud and work my way outward in both directions.  That way if I later discover that I didn’t get the clove hitch on the next shroud quite tight enough (or otherwise screw it up), then I only have potentially 2 clove hitches to redo instead of 4.

In addition to graph paper aiding immensely in getting the ratlines lined up close to correctly, looking at it up close has the added “benefit” of disclosing such things as deadeyes not in line and lashed double shrouds not ending at a consistent height (see above and below).

IMG_6701.thumb.JPG.24670e0cb00446abf3adf71f23c900e3.JPG

I found that these ratlines are at an awkward height, a little too high to sit comfortably at my work bench and a little too low to work comfortably standing up.  The solution was to place the model on a chair.

IMG_6704.thumb.JPG.9c7ae19976f1f2335f5a08339fe1b6d3.JPG

Finally, I came across something on Amazon that may be a solution I’ve been looking for for a long time:  1 inch long mini clothespins. They arrived in the mail yesterday. There are many times when I want to temporarily clip something to a shroud or hang just a little bit of weight on the end of a piece of rigging, but conventional mini clamps are too heavy and distort the rigging I’m working on.  These things are so light you can move them around a table by gently blowing on them.  Just what I needed to secure the graph paper to the shrouds.

IMG_6705.thumb.JPG.c9b9740ec0615fad500be4d44e6a31a2.JPG

Tom

Completed:    

'Saw a good tip a couple places buried in the forum ... Clove hitches for ratlines are typical on the inner shrouds.  Since an eye splice for each ratline atr the outermost shrouds is impractical in most scales, many just do another clove hitch.  But that leaves a cut end protruding (even if just a little) on the outside of the outermost shrouds (the end of the run for each ratline).  By using a cow hitch, the end of the line points to the inside, where it isn't noticed - especially if glued to the ratline.  Bravo that you're using dark line for the ratlines and deadeye sheaves - all part of the standing rigging, therefore treated with some sort of tar/solvent mixture. There were several versions.

Clear sailing, mate!    Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Thanks for the kind words Bob. I enjoy reading your comments prolifically scattered all over these boards, and I look forward to progress on your current builds.

Thanks for the tip Johnny.  I spent several years in the Boy Scouts and was an avid sailor for at least the first two decades of young adulthood, but I don't recall coming across the cow hitch.  I'll give it a try.  

Tom

Completed:    

Onto the yards . . . 

The instructions begin this phase of the build by saying that the lower and topsail yards are each constructed of three pieces:  two dowels connected by a square piece that will be shaped to an octagon in cross section. But there are some problems here:

• The square middle pieces are not referred to in the parts list.  The lower yard middle piece is said to be 5/16” square, and the 3” long piece of that size has already been used for the square base of the topmast.  The instructions don’t specify a size for the topsail yard’s middle piece, and that would presumably be 1/4” square, of which there does appear to be enough left over. Dowels for all of the yards are mentioned in the parts list and are supplied.  However . . . 
  • Looking at the plans, these octagon sections are supposed to have eight 1/32” thick battens glued onto them.  The diameter of the spars, including the battens, is 5/16” and 1/4” for the lower and topmast spars respectively, including the battens. Not counting the battens, those two spars should be smaller than specified in the instructions; they should be 1/4” and 3/16” respectively if made consistent with the plans.  The battens are mentioned nowhere in the text of the instructions (but they do appear in one of the pictures).  Did the author of the instructions assume that octagon midsections would be sufficient without battens and the preparer of the plans feel differently?  Who knows.  
  • In fact all of the dowels are too large, if we assume the plans are correct. Here is what I am using:

Royal:  3/32” instead of 1/8”

Topgallant: 1/8” instead of 5/32”

Topsail: 3/16” instead of 1/4”

Lower: 1/4” instead of 5/16”

Having gotten that all straightened out, I decided that I would build the royal yard first, as the yards get more complex the closer they are to the deck.  

Three things I will do differently next time.  First, I will glue the so-called “tye cleat” on after drilling all the holes, as it broke off twice while drilling.  Second, I will drill all the holes before gluing anything into any of them.  And third, I will try to avoid falling asleep before finishing this tedious line of drilled holes.  Or I assume that is what happened when I drilled the last three of them, as can be seen below. 😀 Or maybe the graph paper I was using for spacing and to keep things in line slipped.

IMG_6706.thumb.JPG.024c774fec52cb229066c2c7885d5838.JPG

IMG_6719.thumb.JPG.1c539436975bee0af467a11616862fb0.JPG

In any event, fortunately the eyebolts were only dry fit into the holes when that picture was taken and I was able to take some corrective action.

Also, the instructions have you string wire through the eyebolts to finish the jackstay, but I think thread looks just as good and is a lot easier to work with.  In the category of making things easier . . .  I spaced these holes 1/4” apart, matching the graph paper and resulting in fewer eyebolts to install.  The instructions would space them at 5/32” on this yard and the topgallant, and 3/16” on the topsail and lower yards.

Perhaps the most challenging part of this yard is the foot ropes, which need to hang naturally as rope would but thread doesn’t.  I first tried soaking, stretching and drying the thread, but while that was somewhat successful, it didn’t take all the kinks out, and sometimes it simply wouldn't hang the way I wanted it to. 

IMG_6714.thumb.JPG.520f711448feb8ddf396d170c6a6ffb0.JPG

The approach suggested in the instructions is to dip the thread in diluted white glue, let it dry, then install it and bend it to the desired shape.  That worked! Or at least with some effort it did.  The little 1” clothes pins I just bought were a big help. In the picture below I simply led the thread through the eyebolt, but when rigging the other side, I put a clove hitch there, which was very helpful.

IMG_6712.thumb.JPG.f3951232d6ddd9fee382fe7a0b082e17.JPG

I referred to the “so called' tye cleat since I haven’t seen that term used anywhere else.  On my Niagara build, Model Shipways uses the terms “batten” or “yoke”, the latter being the most descriptive to me.  Whatever it’s called, I drilled a hole through it and part way into the yard, and I glued a thin wire pin in, to more securely attach it to the mast, in which I drilled a similar hole. The eyebolts in the yoke are for securing the parrel, which wraps around the mast.

IMG_6722.thumb.JPG.6b576b16b28ada10940ce396b71b4a60.JPG

Finally, the royal yard dry fit onto the mast.  I think I should have added at least one more eyebolt to each end of the jackstay.

IMG_6718.thumb.JPG.398365709845cc30881d1b99128b109c.JPG

That stray thread up there is the top of the monkey rope, which I will cut off once I have added two more blocks to the mast there.

Edited by Tomculb
Removed duplicate photo at the end

Tom

Completed:    

Great build log, Tom. The attention to detail that you are explaining will be of great assistance to anyone who builds this interesting model in the future.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild