USS Constitution by TomCulb - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 - cross-section

Thanks for the comment Bob, and thanks to all who have added their "likes".

Working my way down the mast, the topgallant yard is next.  I didn’t get much in the way of progress pictures, but there are a number of things to talk about.

This yard and the ones below it have studding sail booms, which are used to extend additional sails out beyond the yards themselves.  These booms require hardware (“iron work” in the words of the instructions), and the instructions are a real problem here.

They start with a picture of the various pieces, saying there are 18 of them when there are actually 20. The picture and the plans show 18, but the plans’ text say that there are a pair of “main yard outer boom iron caps” and a pair of “topsail outer boom iron caps”, which is in fact what is supplied with the kit. Not a big deal since, at least as far as I can tell, none of these 4 boom iron caps are used in this model! I have no idea what they are supposed to be.

But far more concerning is the fact that the instructions and the plans inexplicably do not use the same terms to describe these less-than-intuitive parts. The plans show part numbers for these things (#2065 followed by a hyphen and a two digit number), but the instructions do not refer to the part numbers at all. After studying the instructions at length, I think I have figured it out, and in the picture taken of the plans below I have written in the terms used in the instructions. I hope future builders find this helpful.

IMG_6732.thumb.JPG.8f631c1864b7ce270d8e66a5130c584d.JPG

Fittings.thumb.jpeg.d42da6f08fd8f930cc45a6620b53a541.jpeg

I would add that the instructions say to "darken" these pieces, but I have never found what I use, Darken-It, to work on Britannia metal.  I used flat black paint.

The lower three yards also have a pair of chocks at the outer ends, and these are laser-cut in small, medium and large pieces.  Only problem is that there is only one pair of each size and obviously two pairs are required.  Not a big deal as they are easy to cut from the same sheet of wood that the laser cut pieces come from.

The instructions don’t mention, but the plans show, that the booms are angled up and out away from the yards at a 45 degree angle.  Or perhaps more clearly, looking at a cross section of the yard and boom, with the top of the mast being north and forward being to the east, the booms are to the northeast.  Holes need to be drilled in the yard for what the plans call “top gallant quarter irons” (one for each boom), which can be glued in place. Then insert the “topgallant outer irons” in holes drilled into the ends of the yard, but as the instructions appropriately warn, don’t glue until the booms are slid in place and these fittings can be angled in such a way that the booms and the yards all run parallel to each other.

As I did with the royal yard, I ran the thread for the foot ropes through some diluted white glue and let it dry before rigging them through the long eyebolts and tying them to the yards. That worked fairly well with the first foot rope on this yard.  The second one was an entirely different story.  For some reason tying the end of the thread to the boom proved really problematic, and I couldn’t get the clove hitches on the eyebolts to look or act anything like clove hitches.  After spending more time on it than I did on the previous three foot ropes combined, I went to tie the remaining end onto the boom and realized that the thread was too short to have any realistic chance of tying a knot.  After cussing up a storm (fortunately my wife wasn’t home), I got up from my work bench (the smartest thing I did all day), went outside and took a walk of about a mile, and ate lunch before returning to my work bench.  Things went a little more smoothly the second time around, but again it proved to be harder to do than it should have been.  Next time I may experiment with going back to merely wetting, stretching and drying the thread before tying it on, then applying diluted white glue with the hope of being able to bend the thread to the desired look and having it stay that way.

Enough text . . . here are some pictures.  When I took them, I had not yet added the eyebolts to the yoke for the parrell.

IMG_6729.thumb.JPG.f89b0da0c130f2b0ca49307c514cd3bc.JPGIMG_6725.thumb.JPG.a50e1564fd003cb8ae028b1ea75e7437.JPG

IMG_6728.thumb.JPG.496d674e4c55222bc1a00f259f8c18bf.JPG

IMG_6727.thumb.JPG.fbb927724253cb8f7dd20cdc2be4f4a4.JPG

And here’s the topgallant yard dry fit on the mast.

IMG_6730.thumb.JPG.e3bfd80085979524bbb91a506b848c93.JPG

IMG_6731.thumb.JPG.2030ac2fe70b69d94c9e25cbef450d3b.JPG

I am going to take a little break with the yards and get the ratlines finished.  Then I’m thinking about installing these two yards with their running rigging, before moving on to the topmast and lower yards.

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Rigging and installing the royal yard was simple and straightforward. I generally enjoy working on running rigging more than standing rigging. 

As suggested in the instructions, I installed the rigging on the yard before gluing the yard to the mast.

IMG_6733.thumb.JPG.56ab7aed59aa5bd0208fcb54f5ff386d.JPG

The lifts run from each end of the yard up to small blocks tied to either side of the mast at the circular shoulder, then down to the pin rail where they are belayed.  

The halyard is looped through the yoke and around the middle of the yard, up to the remaining small block on the mast, and down the starboard side to a block and tackle to be hooked onto an eyebolt installed at the aft end of the starboard channel. Some comments on the halyards:

• The royal, topgallant and topsail yard halyards all end similarly, except that the topsail yard halyard has two ends, the other end attaching to a similar arrangement on the port side.

• The instructions refer to the halyard block and tackles as “jig tackles”.

• The instructions are a little confusing here.  Consecutive paragraphs, both beginning with drilling holes and installing three eyebolts in the aft end of the starboard channel (one in the port channel), then going on to describe partially overlapping, partially different, parts of the royal yards running rigging.

•  Each jig tackle is the same.  A hook is stropped to one end of a single block (incorrectly referred to as a double block in the instructions), and the jig tackle line is seized to the other end of the block.  The line then runs up to a double block seized to the end of the halyard, about 5 inches above the channel.  The line runs through that double block, down to the block with the hook, back up to the double block, and then down to the pin rail on the starboard inner bulwark, where it is belayed.  

Finally, the instructions say to use beige thread for the parallel, but I don’t think of that as running rigging.  I used dark brown thread, the same thread I used to lash shroud deadeyes together (“adjustable standing rigging”).

Here are more pictures.

IMG_6740.thumb.JPG.d9049ffec17a10ff906ea218609ea8a2.JPG

IMG_6745.thumb.JPG.ef994f54e2c25ad616a04c2ae4eb9de8.JPG

IMG_6744.thumb.JPG.b4f026aaa4c4aac74abc7d0045c20a77.JPG

IMG_6739.thumb.JPG.f73e13f27b80aa2b6ae58e7a9385800e.JPG

IMG_6737.thumb.JPG.b415231a86c1a5133d8357ddbe919371.JPG

IMG_6736.thumb.JPG.77cff247de96d7e9ed1eb81b1b078622.JPG

IMG_6735.thumb.JPG.7e782bf57da48a0688428234c8173b92.JPG

I recently came across a discussion on these boards about belaying (which I can't find now).  A convincing argument is made that repeated figure 8 wraps around the pin are not necessary and not historically accurate.  Rather, as I have done in the photos above, make one loop around the bottom of the pin under the fife rail, and a second one above, the latter being looped under itself, or belayed.  On a real ship, the line can be quickly unbelayed if adjustments need to be made in a hurry, and on a model this two loop belay is quick and easy to do.  Hopefully the tails I left in the final photo above will be hidden by the coils that will be installed later.

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

I have finished the ratlines on the topmast shrouds. I still need to add sheer poles above the deadeyes.

As I neared the top, the challenge was threading and tying the ratlines where the shrouds were so close together. On the final one at the top, I omitted the clove hitches on the shrouds on either side of the middle one, to avoid ending up with nothing more than shoulder to shoulder knots.  There should probably be one more ratline in the gap between the top one and the futtock stave, but as it is things are awfully crowded there.

IMG_6746.thumb.JPG.fef3f8a20acb2275e5ecc4b02f0cbd82.JPG

IMG_6748.thumb.JPG.69a31cd190c3761c4ac795f337dceaa6.JPG

IMG_6747.thumb.JPG.f99b8794366449475d498304e0a157e8.JPG

I’m hoping the lower ratlines are a little easier to do than these were.  No second set of shrouds immediately behind the ones with the ratlines, and a little more space to work with at the top.

Tom

Completed:    

Very nicely done

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

It speaks very well of your work that it can stand-up to close up photography and still look great!

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Thanks for the kind words Tim.  Too often I look at a close up photo of my work and see nothing but flaws.  I guess we all have some tendency to be hard on ourselves.😀

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I'm a little late to the party, I just happened to stumbled across this beautiful build the other day and have been reading through. I purchased this kit a few months ago, and hopefully will have it on the bench soon. Thanks for putting together this log and pointing out all the gotchas and pain points. I'm definitely following along the rest of the way.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Brian and thank you.  I hope you find my log to be helpful.  Although I have found this build to be more challenging than expected, it's been really rewarding, and I have enjoyed it immensely.   I hope you have a similar experience.

Tom

Completed:    

Almost a month since my last progress posting.  Where did the time go!

Installing and rigging the topgallant yard was almost the same as the royal yard, but with the addition of the studding sail boom halyards and additional purchase on the lifts and boom halyard.

First I needed to seize a number of blocks in place.  There is a single block seized on the upper side of the yard outside each pair of chocks (for a total of two, not four as stated in the instructions), for the lifts.  Then for the studding boom halyards, a single block on the underside just inside each pair chocks, and a single block on the underside about 5/8” out from each side of the center of the yard. Finally for the topgallant halyard, a single block is seized to a sling which wraps around the middle of the yard.  The instructions show the halyard seized to this block, needing a double block above it on the mast, but the plans (which I followed) show the halyard seized to the mast block, resulting in a tackle with two single blocks.  

Hooks need to be seized on the end of two long pieces of thread which will be the studding boom halyards. The hooks are attached to the eyebolts previously installed at the inner end of each boom, and the thread then gets led through the lower blocks near each end of the yard, then through the blocks near the center of the yard, and coiled for now.

Finally one end of the parrel can be tied to one of the eyebolts sticking out of the back of the yard yoke.

IMG_6877.thumb.JPG.bc3398d7d3bb7e95e4105ac1417bb903.JPGIMG_6878.thumb.JPG.b9fa3ec072361fc6f2ac56f56bf6547a.JPGIMG_6879.thumb.JPG.19706b8839f15f665ac34cd18d2fd7fb.JPGIMG_6882.thumb.JPG.89560b50a48ef9b5600884c74746e617.JPG

A pair of single blocks for the lifts need to be seized to each side of the mast just above the shroud loops wrapping around the mast, above the topgallant cross trees. A long piece of thread needs to be seized to each such block. The yard halyard is seized to a block, which in turn is supposed to be attached to a sling which secures it to the forward side of the mast, but somehow mine turned out to be just another seizing.  As mentioned above, I used a single block here. The lifts and halyard can be coiled to await attachment of the yard to the mast.

IMG_6884.thumb.JPG.9592a736a914604fb933ef3f25efdc91.JPGIMG_6883.thumb.JPG.09894c4304ecbd3ab9c3d6887dc964d0.JPG

Next was gluing the yard to the mast, using the location pin at the back of the yard and a hole I had previously drilled in the front of the mast. I then secured the loose end of the parrel to the open eyebolt in the yoke.

Then came the fun of releasing the coils of rope, one by one, leading the line down through the standing rigging to belaying pins at deck level. . . a relatively easy step which leads to satisfyingly significant progress.  Comments on doing this:

• The royal yard lifts ran easily from the blocks on either side of the mast, behind the topgallant and topsail crosstrees, through the aft end of the open spaces in the fighting top, behind the futtock shrouds, without interference all the way down to the aft side of the fife rail. Here I made a mistake, belaying the port lift line to the second pin in from the end rather than the third pin in.  As discussed below, I didn’t not correct the error.  

• The royal yard halyard ran from its block on the mast, around the starboard side of the mast, aft of both sets of cross trees, aft and outside the fighting top. It then went down to where it was seized to the double block which formed part of the jig tackle, the other end of which was hooked to the outer eyebolt attached to the aft end of the starboard channel.

• The topgallant studding sail boom halyards ran from their blocks on the yard, down just outside the forward topsail crosstrees, through the middle of the spaces on either side of the fighting top, ahead of the futtock shrouds, and down to the fore and aft parts of the fife rail.

• The topgallant lifts ran from their blocks on either side of the mast, behind the topsail crosstrees, through the aft end of the open spaces in the fighting top and inside the royal lifts, and on down to the aft side of the fife rail where they were belayed to the pins just inside where the royal lifts were belays.  The fact that the lifts on the port side were belayed one pin farther out than the lifts on the starboard side caused no problems, and I decided this was an error not worth correcting.

• The topgallant yard halyard ran parallel to the royal yard halyard down to its jig tackle.  In hooking the tackle to its eyebolt in the starboard channel, the main part of this tackle ran between the main part of the royal tackle and the tail end of the royal tackle belayed inside the bulwark.

IMG_6890.thumb.JPG.0873199a8ea422ead828818200aededd.JPGIMG_6891.thumb.JPG.52abe3ed4292a8c6435729ed84f457dd.JPGIMG_6892.thumb.JPG.c8e4b0266703f886c69b55d937480b4d.JPGIMG_6893.thumb.JPG.f381b61bbc72937cff7fde8026068774.JPGIMG_6889.thumb.JPG.db1a65185280b43addade735519ba727.JPGIMG_6888.thumb.JPG.f1e609994b6134f3fba27f55cd8e7039.JPGIMG_6895.thumb.JPG.33e5de36667cfd1ebbedded83b6482ec.JPGIMG_6896.thumb.JPG.c6460b0f04ad4f3243e7ef2b6d2e3925.JPGIMG_6897.thumb.JPG.814dde8f12ec093e4487a2d446fe6aac.JPG

On to the topsail yard.  More of the same . . . only bigger.

Tom

Completed:    

Beautiful job on the rigging Tom. These cross sections are much easier to rig up than the full ship. Not near as many snag points. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Thank you Brian and Tom.  Repeatedly throughout this build I've thought how grateful I am that I'm building a cross section and not the full Connie.  I don't think I'd have the patience to do what I'm doing three times over. 😱

Tom

Completed:    

• 4 weeks later...

I  ended my last post saying the topsail yard would be just like the topgallant yard, only bigger.  Yes it’s definitely bigger, but there are some differences as well.

• As mentioned in a post back in August, the lower two yards are supposed to be constructed from two dowels, separated by a square piece to be shaped to an octagon in cross section.  Then battens are to be glued to the flat parts of the octagon section.  I found it easier to make the entire topsail yard out of a single dowel, tapered at both ends and leaving the center section round, not octagonal.  As can kind of be seen in the picture below, I painted the middle section black before attaching the battens, because the latter fit so closely together I wasn’t sure I could get black paint into the tiny gaps between them. Eventually almost the entire yard is painted black, unlike the yards above which are entirely stained.

IMG_6898.thumb.JPG.82275290965438c284d17997762135ca.JPG

• Studding sail booms:  The end guards and end guard rings (terms used in the instructions but not the plans) are two pieces at each end. Both pieces need to be trimmed after gluing together.  The end guard is basically a cage that is slipped onto the end of the yard.  Rather than taper the yard ends enough to allow that to happen, I tapered them enough to be flush with the outside of the cage/guard, then cut a smaller round section just thin and long enough to fit inside, as can be seen in the picture above. I think the assembly would have looked better if the guard rings had been cast the same as the topgallant yard rings and if the guards had a hole in them through which the stem of the ring would pass, into a hole drilled into the end of the studding sail booms.

• This yard, and this yard alone, has what is identified as a “coxcomb” glued to the top of the yard, about half an inch in from each end.  I don’t know what a coxcomb is or what the other yards don’t have them, but here I did as I was told.

• Consistent with everything else about this yard, the plans show the footropes running through stanchions that are somewhat longer than those found on the upper two yards.  That doesn’t make sense in my mind, as the men who stood on this yard’s footropes weren’t any taller than the men who stood on the footropes higher up. I made these stanchions the same length as those above.

• As is discussed in further detail below, the topsail yard is supposed to have two halyards, each one leading to either side of the hull, not just a single halyard leading to the starboard side as is the case with the royal and topgallant yard halyards.

IMG_6918.thumb.JPG.620bd22998cee267db9ef83a599b7443.JPG

IMG_6921.thumb.JPG.408afec81dbe045e64d438782cb76d35.JPG

IMG_6920.thumb.JPG.5bfa763aa207413e948f89a39363bd79.JPG

The locating pin shown below is dry fit and was replaced with a shorter one before installation on the mast.

IMG_6915.thumb.JPG.5e2549e78745d1cbf6bb017c24711af5.JPG

IMG_6922.thumb.JPG.02f8702ad89ac9803eade6f4ed6abe23.JPG

IMG_6926.thumb.JPG.9f2f54905a0492070f7a6e97cba1df39.JPG

IMG_6929.thumb.JPG.c61b57d1f0ba2ec24bf05e4f40752adc.JPG

Halyard(s):  I viewed the plans as showing a two-ended halyard wrapped around the mast at its midpoint.  Seemed pretty obvious to me that running rigging wrapped around a mast wasn’t going to “run” very well.  Reading the instructions, what’s contemplated is two halyards, each ending with a clove hitch around the mast.  But after leaving the mast, each halyard passes through a double block on the yard, then passes over the top of the forward cross tree, then aft to a single block attached to either side of the mast, then down to the jig which secures it to the hull.  How this running rigging is supposed to “run”, and change direction by 90°, when it passes over the edge of the cross tree under tension, is beyond me.  So since I was going to ignore both the plans and instructions to remedy that problem anyway, I decided to turn it into a double ended halyard (by hanging a single block on the front of the mast). After passing through the double block on the yard, each halyard runs below the crosstrees and through a single block hanging below and between the middle and aft crosstrees.

IMG_6925.thumb.JPG.279edfcdb92e78d67af1058de5194f87.JPG

IMG_6930.thumb.JPG.40bcbcd62c740859e159a08fa8907fe0.JPG

Finally and a little late now, I wish I had made the halyard jigs shorter.  The yards are displayed in their raised position, which would mean that most of the line in each jig would be pulled in and the two ends of the jigs would be close together.  As rigged (which is consistent with the plans), to bring the yards down to their lowered positions (shown faintly on the plans as an alternative), the upper ends of the jigs would end up tucked up close beneath the fighting top.  I doubt that would be the case on the real ship.

IMG_6931.thumb.JPG.f8e43af8209dae071b4f90701b36213d.JPG

IMG_6932.thumb.JPG.06552417e5880e4b9e52f64762b1269b.JPG

IMG_6933.thumb.JPG.0a8a3bdc065504ac6f39cd9099ebfb0b.JPG

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

A question for you Connie history buffs as I near completion of my build of the main (or lower) yard . . . 

The plans show Flemish horses (extensions of the foot rope) out at the ends of the main and topsail yards, with the notation "Optional detail based on period being built."  Do any of you know what period of history Flemish horses were common?  I assumed that had something to do with studding sail booms, since those booms would be hard to reach without a Flemish horse.  But the plans show the topgallant yard with studding sail booms and no Flemish horse, and the real Constitution (as of the date of Google Maps videoing) has Flemish horses and no studding sail booms.  Some of you have a lot more insight as to issues like this than I do.

Thanks

Tom

Completed:    

Construction of the main (or lower) yard is basically the same as the topsail yard, only larger (52 eyebolts for the jackstay!).  And rigging of the lifts and studding sail booms is the same (and straightforward).  But things really get complicated when it comes to the preventer sling(s) and trusses.

I am just about ready to attach the yard to the mast and then start on its rigging. Over the last few weeks when I’ve had some down time (usually waiting for something to dry), I have studied the plans (repeatedly) and read the instructions (probably only twice) trying to figure out exactly what is supposed to happen here. I think I’ve figured it out.  I took a picture of the plans’ detailed depiction of the rigging which holds the yard to the mast and used some colored pencils to differentiate the three elements of this rigging.

427775449_slingstrusses.thumb.jpeg.3157ce413a85cf1ef6028ff68b4f0c3f.jpeg

The instructions refer to two preventer slings and a truss, but I think it would be more accurate to label two of them as trusses with just one preventer sling.  I have a copy of The Art of Rigging by George Biddlecombe, first published about 100 years ago, and he defines “preventer” as a rope “employed sometimes to support, or answer the purpose of, another that has a great strain upon it, or is injured . . .”.   My translation is that it is somewhat analogous to a seat belt; that is, it doesn’t do anything unless something bad happens.  If I’m right about that, there is only one preventer sling, and that is the standing rigging (instructions say use black thread) shown in green in the picture of the plans above.

Biddlecombe defines “truss” as “a rope employed to confine and slacken the lower yards to or from their respective masts.”  That sounds like adjustable running rigging to me, and the instructions say use beige thread for these.  There are two pairs, one shown in red above and the other in blue.  The red ones are for pulling the yard against the mast, and I think of them as horizontal trusses.  The other pair is for adjusting the yard up and down, and I think of them as horizontal, or perhaps even halyard, trusses. Those are shown in blue.

The one thing that is not made clear above are the ends of what I have called the horizontal trusses (in red), where they attach to the aft side of the mast.  There is a good picture on the top right side of page 87 of the instructions that provides some clarity.  Basically each line passes through a hole in the fairlead already installed on the mast back there, then through an eye at the bitter end of the other line, then forward to take a loop around the yard, then up through the sheave on the side of a trestle tree, and on up to the jig attached to the underside of the mast cap.  Once it leaves the yard, what is shown on the plans is pretty clear.  

I’ll post more details and pictures as I install this rigging.  

Tom

Completed:    

The labelling of these are wrong. The blue are jeers. They are actually what are doing the heavy lifting of the yard. The green is the sling and it is in effect the preventer for the jeers so that the yard does not fall if the jeers are severed in battle. The red are the truss tackles and they function to pull the yard in close to the mast.  The truss should be rigged as follows: Two straps are fitted around the yard, inside the cleats, with large thimbles to pass pass the truss pendants through. The truss pendants have an eye spliced in the end. The pendants are passed around the yard inside the cleats and through the eye. The ends are then passed abaft the mast and through the thimble of the strap so that the port pendant passes through the starboard strap thimble, and the starboard through the port thimble.  In the upper end a block is turned in, which is connected by its fall to an eyebolt under the cap.  The fall may or may not come down to the deck. Sometimes it was belayed in the top.

That cleat with the sheave on the trestle trees is not used for the truss pendants.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thanks Henry for your comments on terminology.  That’s very helpful.

“Jeers” is a term I was not familiar with, but looking at Biddlecombe, that’s exactly what is in blue, as you pointed out. The book defines jeers as “Tackles by which the lower yard of a ship are hoisted along the mast to their usual station, or lowered from thence . . . “.

As you described them, the truss and the preventer sling appear to be correctly labeled as I used them, but not as used in the instructions.

I’m not sure what you mean by the “cleat with the sheave on the trestle trees”.  As shown on the plans, there is a sheave on the trestle trees, but no cleat there. The only cleat the trusses encounter is in the top.  The only sheaves are the ones attached to the trestle trees, and it seems to me they need to be used to properly direct the truss pendants to the blocks hanging from the mast cap.  Am I missing something?

Two more terminology issues.  First, I have at various times used the term “jig” to refer to a block and tackle assembly, but only because that is the term used in the instructions.  I don’t recall seeing that word used that way before.  The term I would be inclined to use is “tackle”. Second, the line that is pulled to extend the studding sail boom outward is referred to in the instructions as a “halyard”, but previously I had never seen that word used for anything other than a line that pulls something vertically (e.g. a sail or a yard).  I would be more inclined to use the word “studding boom outhaul” or  “studding boom outhaul tackle.” 

I welcome your (or anyone else’s) comments, and thanks again for your insight.

Tom

Completed:    

The usage of the term jig in this instance is short for jigger tackle, which is a type of tackle arrangement. Usually it refers to a single and a double block, both stropped with tails.

The tackle that is used to extend the stuns'l booms does not, as far as I know, have a distinct name other than you can refer to it as whatever it is being used for. To explain. This tackle used to haul out the boom would be termed an outhaul in this usage. But, the same tackle, by shifting its attachment point is also the inhaul tackle to bring the boom back in and the tricing tackle when employed to lift up the inner end of the boom to give better access to the men on the foot ropes while furling sail.

With regard to my reference to a cleat, in the diagram above there is a cleat with a sheave let in attached to the outer side of the trestle tree. The diagram shows the truss tackle pendant being re-directed up towards the top around those sheaves.  If you rig the pendants as I described above in my post the pendant gets re-directed upwards as it passes through the thimble of the strap around the yard. Thus the pendant will run fairly straight up and down to the tackle under the cap and the additional cleat/sheave is not necessary. The crossing over of the pendants abaft the mast is what pulls the yard in to the mast.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thanks again Henry.  

For some reason your description of the truss rigging didn't sink in the first time, compounded by the fact that my understanding of "cleat" has been limited to a squat T-shaped thing you tie a line to.  But I see now that it can also mean the enclosure of a sheave, or without the sheave, the enclosures on the forward side of the yard that locate the trusses close to the yard as they wrap around it.  In any event, you describe each truss passing through the thimble of the other truss after it has gone forward to wrap around the yard and then comes aft again.  That makes more sense, since that means both parts of the truss are pulling the yard into the mast, rather than having one part pulling on it diagonally upward as shown in the plans.  Here is how the instructions show the trusses passing through the thimbles on the aft side of the mast, before they have wrapped around the yard.

530741078_Screenshot2022-11-138_16_11AM.png.c4557e55dff84842bc3016f030860831.png

I'm learning a lot . . . 

Tom

Completed:    

As I mentioned before, the construction of the lower yard is pretty much the same as the topsail yard, just bigger.  The only other differences are a longer batten on the aft side of the yard, cleats attached to the forward side (not yet glued in place in the photo below), and a ring in the middle which will be the lower part of the preventer sling.

IMG_6961.thumb.JPG.705d875b1ee47baecb9ff6f54f49bf96.JPG

The preventer sling hangs over the top of the mast cap and dangles just above the yard (Connie’s necklace).

IMG_6960.thumb.JPG.9e3faa907be9eae1f487b2fd9adfe925.JPG

After hanging the preventer sling, I glued the yard in place with a locator pin. I then rigged the lifts and what I am now calling the studding boom outhauls, then lashed together the two parts of the preventer sling.  The two triple blocks I secured onto the yard before gluing it to the mast are ready for the rigging of the jeers.

IMG_6967.thumb.JPG.df6b2aaeee9b6430380bff926a2b388e.JPG

Tom

Completed:    

That's a big help.  Thanks 

I need to make my way to Boston one of these days.  I built Revel's plastic version of the Constitution more than 35 years ago, and now I'm nearing completion of this cross-section (a much more rewarding build), and while I saw the real thing across the harbor a long time ago, I've never been aboard her.

Tom

Completed:    

Holy smokes, Tom, that looks like a complicated, spider's nest of rigging to sort out!  Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

You're right Bob, the rigging gets complicated and crowded.  As I've said before, I'm glad I'm doing only one mast.

I started rigging the jeers and the truss more or less at the same time, trying to figure out which one would get in the way of the other the most, and leaving that tackle for last.  That led me to finishing the jeers first, which will be the subject of this post.

Each jeer is a pair of triple blocks, one lashed to the top of the yard, the other just above it, hanging from the mast. I made a pair of lanyards for the latter, by first tying a block to the middle of about 8 inches of thread.  I then served the two lengths of thread together, for about an inch above the block.

Some may have noticed that I did not serve any of the shrouds where they wrap around the mast.  I don’t have a serving machine, and carefully wrapping thin thread around a length of thicker thread at least a couple of dozen times seemed incredibly difficult and tedious.  But trying it on these lanyards was a lot easier than I expected.  I secured each end with a clove hitch, then gave each serving a healthy dose of diluted white glue. 

IMG_6973.thumb.JPG.f0a6369a81966be8671600dffdf5c673.JPG

The next challenge was threading the line through each pair of blocks. Things are pretty crowded where the mast and yard come together, and my attempts to get my thumb and fingers in there all failed. What worked was creating a long “needle” with a dose of thin CA on about 2½ inches of the thread to be rigged, stretched straight between a couple of mini clamps. I left about an inch at the end of the thread unglued, so it wouldn’t be glued to the clamp, then cut that end off. The needle enabled me to get the thread through the blocks from the aft side, and it worked!

IMG_6982.thumb.JPG.6739b9e9362637d2b57b55eb9acffb97.JPG

I hung each lanyard loosely around the mast, not tying it until I had the block rigged to its counterpart. They can be seen crossing each other in the second picture below. Finally securing them after the blocks were rigged made it easier to adjust the distance between the blocks, and for whatever reason I rigged the first pair (left in the picture below) about half an inch apart.  I think that may have been a mistake, as they would have been better aligned if they had been rigged closer together, as shown on the plans. Especially the blocks on the right don’t line up very well.

IMG_6976.thumb.JPG.14bc641c14f315db5b6f1fae82e68c8d.JPG

IMG_6978.thumb.JPG.dd10ff0e36d56cdfaed2319283f7947a.JPG

Finally when I brought the ends of the lines down to the fife rail, they crossed behind the already installed running rigging, running from the upper block just forward of the mast to the aft end of the fife rail.  To avoid rubbing up against those other lines, I brought these lines down to the back side of, and under, the rail.

IMG_6981.thumb.JPG.e542ca247fa2ee4534aa87d9e6b9ab49.JPG

In the picture of the blocks above, you can see that I have wrapped the pair of trusses around the yard.  That and the rigging of the truss tackles will be the subject of my next post.

Tom

Completed:    

Looking beautiful Tom. I use the CA on the thread method all the time. It certainly helps when threading the smaller ropes through the blocks. 

-Brian

Thanks Brian.  I too frequently dip the end of a thread into some CA, but was different here was the length of thread coated in CA.  Usually I dip no more than half an inch or so.  

Your Cairo build is magnificent.

Tom

Completed:    

The lower end of each truss is fixed to the mast at a fairlead glued to the back side of the lower mast while building it.  Each line has an eye at the end through which the other line passes through.  The kit supplies britannia metal circular thimbles for each eye, but a smaller, thinner, tear-shaped eye would probably be more accurate. Such a fitting is not supplied and would probably be too small to work with.  I simply seized an eye, without a fitting, at the end of each line.

A couple of weeks ago there was an exchange of posts in which popeye2sea pointed out that the way the instructions explain the trusses is not correct.  At the time I didn’t mention this, but I had already rigged the mast end of the trusses as instructed; that is, each line ran through the other line’s eye immediately after leaving the fairlead. It wasn’t difficult to undo what I had done and rerig it correctly; that is, each line left the fairlead, went forward to wrap around the yard, then went aft again to run through the eye in the other line, then up through the open space in the fighting top.

IMG_6968.thumb.JPG.0edaee7b13211e12d26d2f80f0d36348.JPG

IMG_6990.thumb.JPG.2c967bfb609eb51e97158a5370b8a3f8.JPG

IMG_6991.thumb.JPG.90678a838db8b7d40a1b166168539a2a.JPG

Above the fighting top, each line ends with a single block, to which is attached another line. That line becomes part of a tackle, going up to a double block secured to an eyebolt under the mast cap, back down to the single block, up to the double block, and down to a cleat previously installed in the deck of the fighting top.  At least in my case, that cleat was installed with no expectation that anything would be belayed to it. It is tiny, flimsy and hard to get to.

IMG_6992.thumb.JPG.c3f253484c0747ccd6ddaa9cd45ce3f2.JPG

IMG_6978.thumb.JPG.88247bac09227bb62d0b726d1855221a.JPG

I decided the line could be belayed just as plausibly to a cleat attached to the topmast.  Two pairs of laser cut cleats were glued to the fighting top, but a third pair was left unused, and I carefully glued them to the sides of the mast. What concern I had about these cleats being flimsy was proved justified, as both broke when I tried to belay the lines to them.  They are cut from 1/32” thick stock, the grain runs across the tiny throat of each one, they both broke there.  So I pried the remaining cleat bases off the mast and built new, heftier cleats from 1/16” square stock.  The resulting cleats are too big for scale and as can be seen in the photo below, I didn’t get the throat centered on one of them (later corrected), but such flaws should be largely hidden by a belay and a rope coil.

IMG_6986.thumb.jpg.af00c71769a16a5867048f8b1092adfc.jpg

IMG_6989.thumb.JPG.c4bf0bdae6d733f62474ecd864f21693.JPG

IMG_6993.thumb.JPG.0ce0cde77fd9b68b51220b15744de3ab.JPG

IMG_6994.thumb.JPG.312a8ce32dfafdca32c6b9422ad332e3.JPG

Now on to a fairly lengthy list of things I didn’t do earlier in the build . . . such as lower ratlines, fighting top railing, hammock rails, etc. The end is in sight!

Tom

Completed:    

This log is an absolute gold mine for how to rig period masts!

Although the large scale of the kit helps, it is really your clear photos and explanations that make this the go-to place for some of the most difficult and least understood parts of rigging.

Thanks for taking the time and effort.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Thank you Tim.  That's very kind of you. But what I am able to bring to the conversation wouldn't be possible without the valuable contributions of so many who are better informed or more skilled than I am.  Most recently that would be Henry (popeye2sea).  The community created by these forums is incredible, and I owe a big thank you to all who have made it the great resource that it is.

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the usual slow down in the shipyard during holiday season, this year I’m also distracted by the World Cup (sad day yesterday for English fans), and locally I have already used my snowblower more this year than the last two or three put together. And winter is still 10 days away!

I did not build and install the aft guard rail on the fighting top when instructed, figuring it would get in the way of stringing the running rigging, and I think that was a good decision, although the rigging now made the job of installing the built rail a little more challenging.

The instructions suggest putting the netting material on top of wax paper and giving it a coat of diluted white school glue, then pressing the aft frame against the wet glue.  I was afraid the wax paper would be difficult to remove once the glue dried, and I took a different approach.  I laid one frame on top of wax paper (to protect the surface below), then stretched the netting across that frame, and then gave everything a good coat of glue. When that was dry, I glued the other frame on top of the first frame with the netting sandwiched in between. That worked pretty well. The reason I wanted the netting coated with diluted white glue was to stiffen it and eliminate the creases in the netting material (since it was folded as supplied). With a new sharp blade in my knife, I cut away the excess netting.  The material cuts much more cleanly when it has been stiffened with glue, but after cutting there was still a bit of stubble left. I applied another coat of glue around the frame, then a coat of pain, and then gave it another cut.  The result was not as clean as I had hoped, but from any reasonable viewing distance it looks pretty good.

IMG_7024.thumb.JPG.cc63789c659f64b797799907833a0cfb.JPG

IMG_7029.thumb.JPG.c657f3702baa52b02098d8ca9ac897c8.JPG

A challenge I had not anticipated was that the aft deadeyes, solidly glued in place months ago on the fighting top deck, get in the way of the assembled guard rail.  I had to do some cutting and shaving at each end of the guard rail base and the outer stanchion of the rail so that the rail would fit. Nevertheless the base sticks out beyond the aft edge of the deck, rather than being flush with it, but that was the best I could do.

IMG_7031.thumb.JPG.981ec540c4cd1f0e8fb0584dbba35beb.JPG

I am also getting started with the lower ratlines, another project I did not do when directed in the instructions, thinking they would get in the way of  the stringing of running rigging.  In retrospect I’m not sure that was a good decision, but rigging the ratlines is nevertheless progressing satisfactorily.

IMG_7050.thumb.JPG.959b3753795523129a336caaddd501fe.JPG

Next post will cover rope coils. 

Tom

Completed: