Timothy Wood

Endeavour Half Hull by Timothy Wood - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters 5/32"

Greetings,

Along with building BlueJacket's  80' Elco PT Boat, I've decided to start on the Endeavour Half Hull by BlueJacket.  She was the British Challenger in the 1934 America's Cup.

The kit is as a 'Bread and Butter' build...  

Cheers,

Tim

post-260-0-59292700-1373592013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timothy Wood

Cool! I'll grab a seat here in the bleachers - don't see many half-hulls built!

My first steps will be to layout the pre-cut lifts (in alternating layers of basswood and mahogany).  A 6" x 23" cherry wood baseboard is supplied with the kit along with a brass nameplate.  The kit can be vanished to show the alternating layers of wood or painted in her 1934 colors.

Tim 

This was one of my very first builds. I am sure you will enjoy the results. She has hung on my wall for 9 yrs. now.

post-1088-0-26438300-1373640760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

That's a very nice job, looks just like the photo on the box!  Did you brush the paint or airbrush it?

Thanks for the Pic....

Tim

Edited by Timothy Wood

I brushed it. I had a devil of a time not having brush marks. I did cheat a bit. I used Modeling tape for the white line. I just don't have a good experience with masking stuff off and not having it bleed.

And just since you liked that one. Here is another I did. I picked this kit up from Ebay. It was made by some guy who was creating the rough designs and selling them. It is a different boat. but similar design. This kit was actually a better design then the Bluejacket. I also liked the wood better so I left it natural.

Now all I need to do is get the Admiral to approve hanging this last one.

PS I think the Endeavour was one of the most beautiful J boats ever built. She still is! She was recently restored and participates in the big boat races in Martinique. If you look closely at my signature I have a POB kit of the same boat. I may build her some day. Did you know she had such a big boom the crew could walk the boom?

post-1088-0-82775800-1373642461_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

I had no idea the boom was that large!  I have to agree woth you she is about the best looking J-Boat out there.  I would like to do a half hull of the Shamrock V if I can come up with the hull plans.

Tim

Tim - LOL we are updating and answering each other in Real time. I just posed the pic and then noticed a spelling error and went to edit it and in the mean time you posted your question. The name of this boat is Windego she was built in 1936. This info is on the name plate but it is hard to read in the photo.

That's a very good looking hull also!  Gotta love those J-Boats!  Don't get me wrong, I love the speed of the new "Cats" but their not the same.  Guess I'm getting OLD.....

Tim

The kit consist of seven pre-cut lifts of basswood  (A, C, E, & G) and mahogany (B, D, & F), a pre-drilled cherry backboard, a brass nameplate with screws, two mounting screws, a pre-drilled block for holding the work in a vise, (I will use a vise and a Wilton Power-R Arm), a set of plans, a self-adhesive station templates, and most importantly the instructions.

For those of you not familiar with the terms:

Lifts are the pieces of wood that show the basic shape of the hull at a given height above or below the normal waterline.  The top of each lift coincides with the shape of the hull at that waterline and provides a reference to which the lift above it must be shaped.  

post-260-0-65669500-1373671494_thumb.jpg

Tim

In the above photo you can see where I have added the station lines to the lifts.  This is important because the station lines which are marked on the front and back of the lifts will help align them before glueing them together.

My next step is to make a set of templates and cut out each one, the will be used to check the hull shape at their corresponding station lines marked on the hull.

post-260-0-80585400-1373761724_thumb.jpg

After the lifts were glued and had dried, I marked the back of the lifts with the side view of the hull.  Once that was completed I began cutting the sheer into the top of the hull.

post-260-0-49530600-1373762174_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Thanks for the memories! :)

PS I wish I had a plane available when I did mine. For me it was just a lot of sanding. My trusty Dremel got a work out.

I started it the same way, and then thought, "There must be an easier way!"  I used a plane and a very sharp draw knife!   :dancetl6: 

Tim,

At this point the sheer is coming along nicely, I'm glad BlueJacket Ship Crafters had the foresight to make the deck lift from basswood, I wouldn't have wanted to work the mahogany down that far because at times it splinters easy and you don't have the luxury of deciding the grain direction when the lifts are pre-cut.   :o 

Cheers,   :cheers: 

post-260-0-36098500-1373847163_thumb.jpg

Tim

Next step is to begin working the basic hull shape into the "Block of Wood"....

After the basics are complete, I'll transfer the hull to the Wilton Power-R arm located in the garage.  (The Admiral doesn't like sawdust in the house)...    :huh: 

Cheers,

Tim

I agree, it's not fun to be put on thirty days restriction and thirty days extra duty on top of three days bread and water!   :bird-vi: 

Cheers,

Tim

After much work the hull is starting to take shape, I stall have a lot of wood to remove before it's even close to the intended shape.  Sorry for the photo quality, this was shor with my cell phone and not the DSLR.

post-260-0-19210100-1373935938_thumb.jpg

Tim

I have to admit, I've been slacking on the Elco PT Boat, except for one thing, the admiral said she would like to see this up in the family room, to the retired sailor will aim to please!  The latest photo with the Endeavour hull.  She is getting very close to completion, I would guess within a week or two at the latest!    :cheers: 

post-260-0-25350800-1374105023_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

Very nice! Have you decided to paint or stain? I liked the lifts on my second one so I did not paint. But this one the different types of wood do not align with anything particular on the boat. So I painted. At the time I also wasn't quite as confident of my skills and Paint covers all sins.

Floyd,

The jury is still out on that question.  The admiral likes the wood, I'm leaning in the direction of the original paint!  I think the admiral will loose out to the crew this time!  :o 

Cheers,

Tim