Atlantica Sail training ketch by Wintergreen – Scale 1:30 - POF - A smack of English heritage

Indeed so @KeithAug 🥶

Another little issue that needed some kind of fix was one frame in particular. The frames are buildup in two layers and they were sanded smooth a while ago.

As can be seen in the following two pictures, this frame sits a bit low. Luckily the only one, and equally so on both sides.

20221117_200712.jpg.d2469025f4b6b8cdef12fc1735b3e6ed.jpg

20221117_200653.jpg.10fc4a842a54da978a83c3f2a152c199.jpg

The step is less than a millimeter but with Murphy hanging around you can bet that some of the planking will meet there and will then have a lot more sanding to do to even out the hull.

As can be seen in my pictures I have glued a soft pine strip to keep everything in place. What I simply did was to cut the pine strip on adjacent frames, carve it loose and squeeze in some cardboard strips to force the culprit outwards.

Like so.

20221117_202307.jpg.a41b218cc29ecd3d6d16ae62a8b9438f.jpg

In the above picture the step is quite obvious.

Then it was a matter of more sanding and voilá!

20221120_130600.jpg.33737649325ada29eaf310bc97ca6de0.jpg

20221120_113345.jpg.ee2ca0b9c0c9ecc4c51894ff86cc7ad3.jpg

Sorry about the out of focus picture above. Seems like the phone camera honed in on the dust and shavings instead of the smooth frames.

Guess we're all guilty of that sometimes...

Thanks for likes and comments guys!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Nice work, Håkan. This is an impressive project, well done.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the encouragement!

Well, I've been messing around with the software again. Below you can see my setup for the plans. It's an old drawer that's been converted, or "up-cycled" to a display board.

Works like a charm. Also in the picture are all boards for the planking. Birch if you want to know, ripped from the big plank in a previous post.

20221123_101037.thumb.jpg.d2f6146df80db225e84bb81b856d596a.jpg

This is the status of my plans. I think I have the most important pieces there now.

1770510278_202211Plan.thumb.jpg.ee4ef940feca1255205510ead474f8c0.jpg

It is a bit blurry because it is an image of an image... looks perfect in PDF, which I use for printing.

Planking.. any day now 😉 

Cheers!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

very nicely done

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks for likes and comments 🙂 

Today was the day apparently... first strakes fitted and glued. A small step for mankind, but a big step for me.

And of course... when doing the starboard side the first strake came up too high. Had to un-glue the forward piece and glue again (no pictures on the mishap though).

The clamps are a derivative of EdT:s clamps from the Naiad book. I've seen other renderings as well around here on MSW. I made some 15 or so as to never run out of clamps (can't have too many, right?).

20221201_191337.jpg.e5e86901a830c28b979707829f74d073.jpg

Til next time, ta!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

5 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Always fun to find the plank isn't right and have to unglue and re-set it! :D

Yes John, it really was ...  not!

At first I just walked away, but then I realized that I probably had a chance to unglue it with water before the glue set permanently. Which actually worked quite well.

I will assess the situation today after work. 

Going forward I will switch to regular carpenters white glue (outdoors edition) instead of the aliphatic resin I used for the first planks. Reason is a long setting time compared to the resin that sets within 5 minutes. It will give me a little longer peace of mind fiddling with the clamps and all. 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thank you B.E and welcome along for the ride!

I have chosen the scale, 1:30, so the boat would be reasonably sized (i.e. not too big) but still manageable to get a lot of detail in. We're not all like EdT that can do fully detailed HMS V at 1:96 (1/8 imperial).

And it's actually my first (almost) fully framed model.

The C is a bummer, really. My take was to be open with it, both in family but also at the job and here as well. The outcome is uncertain for most, but then life as a whole is not to be taken for granted either. 

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us" 

/Gandalf

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

So, let's see how the first run of the planks turned out, shall we?

The complete run of planks is four pieces, which is what the Danes used on the real one. The after most needed some persuasion to get into shape (and really, don't we all? 😉 )

To make the piece more negotiable I used my home made steam box. 5 minutes in the Finnish sauna and let sit overnight and it was bent like an old salt.

Here below you see the port piece being glued while the starboard one is persuaded to sit tight.

20221204_164312.jpg.c6df4a5820755d74ef008ebdaab67bac.jpg

Another angle

20221204_164303.jpg.46633602dd0ab52f702f56906d8290e8.jpg

And here are two shots from different perspectives. This is before any trimming, which is evident is needed. 

20221205_191347.jpg.45d7dcf521620cdf176c78750ab7a363.jpg

20221205_191405.jpg.e22d9857111b0908f60f658e49ccb7e0.jpg

In the last photo the starboard piece is glued in place. A small wedge is used to force last little tip up against the hull.

Also, it is a good picture showing how the entire rear end is filled with timber. The real shipwrights had the argument that they couldn't be bothered trying to calculate where each plank ended, so they filled it with timber. 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Hi guys, just a quick update that I wanted to share with you.

Had an appointment with the dr today an they've finally agreed upon that there are no signs of anything malicious in my liver whatsoever!

Will be scheduled for a final surgery after new years and then I'm done! 😀

T'is the season to be jolly, fa la la la laa, la la la la!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

3 hours ago, Wintergreen said:

finally agreed upon that there are no signs of anything malicious in my liver whatsoever!

Hakan - Fantastic news - but as i said previously,  Doctors aren't nearly as accurate as the average ship modeller. Good that they were wrong on this occasion. I assume the surgery is to reinstate the normal bowel function. Tell the surgeon that leaks are not tolerated by shipwrights. Good luck mate.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

That is great news, Håkan,

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

11 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Good that they were wrong on this occasion. I assume the surgery is to reinstate the normal bowel function. Tell the surgeon that leaks are not tolerated by shipwrights. Good luck mate.

Keith, they weren't really wrong, only suspicious. And when cancer is the issue you are sick until proven otherwise. And yes, they're going to patch me up for normal business down there.

It has been interesting to have the stomia. I understand that people can get more or less paralyzed having one, but not me. Choice of clothes is a bit different, but apart from that I have even been down to a public beach with my brothers for a swim. Only a curious 6-yo confronted me with "What's that??" So I gave him a quick explanation. His dad was nearby and surely overheard the discussion and I left it to him for the follow up 😄 

@FlyingFish, @Jim Lad, @mtaylor - thank you guys! Very much appreciate the kind words ❤️ 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

So, first bit of planking is underway.

I have gradually removed the pine-boards to get more access. For the first strake I left them on, but once no2 was in place I pried them away. The stanchions will be sand so don't worry about the glue residue.

One thing I remember about planking is that it is necessary to work on both sides interchangeably. Otherwise the hull will end up with the form of a latin gondola...

Then about the workplace, I do most of the work on the center island standing. For me it is easier to move around. Of course it comes down to personal preference.

Having the hull upright while planking made it hard to see how the planks lined up and fitted against each other. For sanding purposes I put together a simple horizontal hull-holder with the "shape" removable by screws. But, since swapping the hull from side to side is done a couple of times per session I made one more. 

Now I just can flip the hull over and work on the other side. It is also really easy to see all contact points and get a good fit.

Two complete bands done and no3 is started.

20221210_171826.jpg.2132fa250c94f1bc8401b124c6a8f07e.jpg

When no4 is in place attention will move to the inside and prepare for the deck.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Looks like you are off to an excellent start with the planking. I really like the design of your horizontal hull holder.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

On 12/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, Wintergreen said:

Having the hull upright while planking made it hard to see how the planks lined up and fitted against each other.

Hakan, Neat idea. I tend to plank with the hull inverted and I have seen others planking half hulls before joining along the centre line, however I can see that your solution has merit.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Håkan: I must apologize for not seeing your progress before. Beautiful subject and work but best of all is your health news. I'm delighted for you. Merry Christmas indeed!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

John, Jim, Keith, B.E, druxey - thanks for dropping by. It is always appreciated. And also thank you to all that "liked" my posts.

@druxey - apology accepted. Nah, no need for apologies! With so many active build logs here on MSW it is impossible to be up do date on ever single one. Nevertheless I'm delighted that you did drop by 🙂 and yes, this Christmas will be merry in more than one meaning... apart from my health-clearance we will have all our four grandchildren over for Christmans eve (yes, we start it on xmas eve, see this excellent J Ross clip over on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjcGAKU23Qc&ab_channel=TheJonathanRossShow they actually get it all right however the cod fish is an old tradition coming from up north while the goose blood soup is from the far south of Sweden. I'm a bit disappointed that they left out honorable mention of the herring though). And yes the OP Andersson is quite strong with an alcohol of about 40%...

The grandchildren are ranging from 2 months old to nearly 7, so it will be a blast in more then one sense 😄 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Christmas eve is passed and handled. Unfortunately only half of the family showed up. The other half, with the two small fairies had +39 degree of fever and stayed at home. We all live in the same village so there will other opportunities to meet. 

Progress on Atlantica has overall been decent. Last week the traditional Christmas concert was ticked off, and all the practices leading up to it did slow down the build a bit, but now there is more time since I have taken a couple of days off as well.

As stated previously, after 4 strakes each side, focus turned to the inside of the hull.

In the picture below starboard side is done and I also show all the various sanding blocks I used.

Started off with 100 grit paper, then 150, 180 and finally 240. The block in the center of the picture, black, long rectangular shape is the preferred one. It is actually a rubber mat, ca 4 mm thick. It is stiff, but bends and therefore follows the shape of the hull.

At the inside of the stern I used the Proxxon with a sanding drum attached.

Attention then moved to the port side, but I will probably revisit the starboard side later on.

20221225_120603.thumb.jpg.efc147eac097101d4d551a076baaa8dc.jpg

20221225_120524.jpg.3f7b9a68002e0d0740e80c60aff37db7.jpg

Oh, and then I dived down a rabbit hole...

One of the frames was a bit wiggly so I decided to practice some treenailing... The hull will be painted and I made a small test piece and was happy with the result. 

Marking the center line of each frame, the using an awl to indent where the "bolt" will go. Without the indentation the drill bit is prone to wander which leaves an ugly result.

Finally drilling with my Proxxon and a 0.8 mm drill bit. I also made a small collar to fit on the drill bit, limiting its depth capacity to ca 5,5 mm. That was done after I drilled through on a couple of occasions. Tree nails are of bamboo and glued with CA.

20221225_170954.thumb.jpg.65a49580375fa2ff3d51d33ac160d249.jpg

Thanks for likes and comments!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery: