Cutter Cheerful First Drop Plank

I was at the point of adding the first drop plank below the wale, when I put the whole thing....ship, wood, and fittings back in a box and started something else. That was over a year ago.

It was like having writers block. Every time I tried approaching how to make this I just put it aside. IMO, I was really having a nice build up to this point, and I was afraid (still am) of coming up with something that I would just accept and move on.

Any Cheerful builders out there experience this particular stumbling point? Is so, how did you move beyond it?

I think sometimes this fret clears itself when I stumble past this point and something turns out like I in visioned or sometimes much better.

I also find that I stumble onto very unique creations and ideas of bettering myself. 
Sometimes understanding something comes from experience, a fail is only a fail if it allows us to give up on our dreams, looking at this site should help you see especially the scratch built items, these guy’s rebuilt something until they realized they could do it better. The kit is simply the outside parameter or limits, so if you are good enough to have gotten this far, you are good enough to step out of that box and rebuild every part you are using.

You are better than that kit, it has no power, but what you give it.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut, removed, modified, replaced, tossed, enough wood on my Cheerful to feel like I’ve built it twice. 

Just keep making them until you have 2 you like. Wait until you get to the boom crutches, there’s some real fun to be had there. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose