Model Expo Guns of History Napoleon Cannon and Limber

A few months ago I took a break from ship modeling and spied the Napoleon Cannon and Limber kit on sale at Model Expo for about 1/2 price. I decided to give it a try and thoroughly enjoyed it! The large scale made it easier than many ship models. The parts and material supplied were typical of Model Shipways, wood good, castings fair the biggest surprise was the instructions were mediocre at best. I muddled through and was pleased with the result. One of the most tedious but enjoyable tasks was building the wheels. A template and building fixture was included and each wood spoke had to be shaped and attached to the wood rim and metal hub. The attachment at the hub was rather weak and I devised a solution. After the spokes were attached at the hub I wrapped the spoke-hub area with thread, secured with a couple of half-hitches like my fly tying  and soaked it with thin CA, incredibly strong.  The barrel is a hefty piece of turned brass and well done. I failed at trying to chemically blacken it so painted it. If you see it on sale give it a go. They do sell a cast wheel version so be sure you buy the wood spoke wheel version if you are so inclined.

IMG_2125[1].JPG

IMG_2126[1].JPG

IMG_2127[1].JPG

IMG_2128[1].JPG

IMG_2129[1].JPG

Edited by turangi

46 minutes ago, turangi said:

Thanks! I could probably still reverse them. You are exactly right!! As I mentioned instruction were a bit lacking. I should have done some research.

Its so easy to do when we are all  heads down in our builds  - things like this can happen so easily  - still does not take away the  attarctive finish you have done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

G. Delacroix, thanks for your input! I reviewed the instructions and believe I have installed the wheels backwards!☹️ I will attempt to correct that, you have a very sharp eye. 

MS4000_Cannon_Wheel_construction_method.pdf

Edited by turangi

• 2 weeks later...

still a nice looking model though!  ;)    well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch