Rebooting, (it's not just for computer equipment)

Ok I'm still here, hopefully on a better footing, and am still considering where I'm going from here....

I know it involves modeling so I'll lay out my thinking....

I have this Abrams sitting here and I've committed to do a group build with it.... never having done a group build before I really don't know how to start one so's maybe I'll get some good advice....

Also I have an Italeri #2515 arriving by the middle of the week, with it's PE coming from Russia sometime in the next month or so.... (so Bluejay 4 is on the table again, time to git-r-done)

And in the stash I have a couple of Barris custom TV rigs that are repops of old 60's AMT kits in 1/24th scale that wouldn't take no time at all to do up....

Still considering what to do... but these have arrived....

IMG_9737.JPG.e9e6d5b521f4b7361e019c1324ab0aa1.JPG

That the paint for the Abrams and oh yeah I picked up a new camera in the mean time, a couple of more pixels than my old 2.2 mp... {chuckle} hopefully I learn how to actually use it to it's potential....

Shouldn't be too much of an issue... I know, I know - famous last words and all that.....

Anyway, I'm coming back, wild horses couldn't keep me away for long.....

You guys are a fine bunch of brothers, I've grown kinda fond of ya'll......

We are fond of you brother, and that camera is a good one - depends what you want to use it for and how much Imput you want to put into it.

No rush on the M1   group build  - I am dragging abit with my Chally  - mind you if  you and Ken want to kick some dirt with it - sure I can catch up.

We have each others back you know  always have   - always will.

OC.

9 minutes ago, Canute said:

Nice to read of your recharging, bro. And a new camera, too.  :36:

I'm still accumulating Abrams info, so no rush in that arena.

I've got a ton of it brother.... Will probably pick one or the other as Bluejay 4 still has to wait for it's photoetch which just left Moscow yesterday......

Ultimate Factories M1...

One of the most surprising things to learn was that there hasn't been a new M1 Abrams built since around 1996 or so.... they just remanufacture them....

Also the model we are working with was based upon info contained within the magazine Tankograd - American Special 3009 - M1A1-M1A2sep Abrams Tusk

It covers in detail the versions you get in the kit....

It's a great kit....

Let me know when your ready brother....

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

When you're ready to start.... whoever makes the first post, just put (or go back and edit if you forget do this) this in the title:  "Group Build".  Naturally it will be in the non-nautical area of shore leave.

Thank you Sir... 

Don't know which of us will be first..... {chuckle}

Ok Now the choice comes....

Blue Jay Four.....

IMG_9738.JPG.ca8d5cde8834df3a905274636a26fdfa.JPG

Haven't really taken a close look at it yet but from what little I've perused, it is 4 times the model the Hasegawa kit is.....

They have substantially came down in price since they were first offered last year.... This one was $118.00 shipped.... (originally over $150 before shipping)

The two Big Ed sets for this are still coming from Russia, leaving Moscow customs on the 4th...... (no telling when they will arrive)

Decisions, decisions...... {chuckle}

Hi Guys, Still here, still plugged in... Real life is running past like an old flickering movie.... one of those out of synch things that you can see the frames..... a rapid series of pics that's all herky jerky you know....

Took a closer look at Blue Jay Four..... Man, is that a model kit or what... separate everything, Flaps, Slats, Airbrakes, Avionics bays, Landing Gear wells..... It is a superdetailers dream.... Another thing is it carries many of the parts for an F-104G.... Figures Italeri just uses the same sprues for both kits with a different sprue for the specific aircraft... A lot of model companies are doing the same thing nowadays..... Lots o parts for the spares box.... I'll probably take the C-2 Ejection Seat from the terminated build, the seat is incorrect in the kit same as the last one was, the emergency pack/cushion is configured wrong... as well as the seat back is also padded, completely wrong for a C-2 ejection seat....

In the shipping department, the Big Ed sets are now in New York's USPS black hole.... I may get them by the end of next year, if they don't vaporize by then....

Real life is still having it's way, but I have been doing some research, studying modeling techniques, the modern way..... So much has changed where does one start?

One of the things I have settled upon, is my obsession with absolute fidelity to detail, I know it isn't physically possible, but the brain says it is, your minds eye so to speak... I've come to the conclusion that Photoetch is being designed to stomp all over that minds eye viewpoint and separate people from their money because some of what they produce is impossible to install.... I've been reading build logs where it is said over and over where not everything is being installed cause it just isn't practical....

This is part of my problem, old school, you look at the racks when your finished building and if there are parts still on the racks then you did something wrong.... Today they send you extra parts....

I have a brain that wants to be prototypical on everything... Exact match to what I'm modeling.... And that is impossible at anything smaller than 1/8th scale.... I know this, more important I understand this, I think we all do...

Reading others more modern build logs has been somewhat of a revelation not only in techniques but in approach to the hobby.... One can frustrate oneself to the point of quitting.... (no I'm not quitting)

Builds today take more planning, it is no longer just crack the box, read the instructions, and spray paint/blurb glue on plastic... You have to plan your builds, read reviews and study the subject..... Not too difficult for me I love studying subjects, but be judicious on what one wants to represent, you can't represent everything....

I'm learning where that line is, I think in this recharging period I've discovered where it lies, (well at least learned to identify it quicker) like building my M1, I see in most all build logs everyone builds everything first, almost completely before any paint or finishing... Ship logs as well, all that PE get added before the paint goes on.... (except for those parts get in the way of paint)

Not the way I'm used to doing things......

I'm getting back to my happy spot. the board has slowed down quite a bit I see the last few weeks...  Summers coming and the weather outside has been beautiful here, so a slowdown is to be expected...

Still haven't decided which way I'm going to restart, Blue Jay 4 or M1 Abrams.... 

Still here brothers Stay well, Stay safe and Stay free...

Well Brothers, My reboot/reset has almost run it's course, The winds are picking up and the seas appear calm....

Almost like majic, my Big Ed sets for Bluejay 4 from Moscow arrived yesterday, (box crunched pretty badly but the sets were packed well inside so no damage) and my final add-ons for the Abrams showed up today....

My studying of painting techniques for modern kits has almost reached a climax as well, I've learned a lot over the last few weeks.... One of the most important things I've re-learned is to always remember what I'm building for, I have to build for myself, make myself happy... If I try to build to others standards I will get unhappy fairly quickly, I was served this reminder from several of my brothers here and on a couple of other forums..... and sad to say, coupled with a few RL issues I lost sight of this basic fact.....

Gonna start another build log soon, another subject close to my heart, but well within my current skill set... this is a tune up so to speak for getting back in the game.... 

So, almost ready to go, I will be closing down this thread, call it a venting or a request for moral support or anything you want to my friends.... 

I believe I'm back on sound footing, with a solid bearing on the compass so to speak....

The thread has served it's purpose.....

Time to close it down....

See ya on the threads my friends....

EG