Scharnhorst 1940 by CDW - Flyhawk - 1:700 Scale

This will be the beginning of my build log for the 1:700 Flyhawk German Battleship Scharnhorst, 1940, full hull version.

This version of the kit comes with two large photo etch sheets and brass gun barrels, ship masts. The parts count is quite high and the details very tiny, finely molded. I'll be ordering a much finer, cleaner cutting set of sprue cutters before I undertake building the kit as I will surely break parts just trying to cut them from the sprue without an appropriate set of cutters.

Pictured are the kit contents, the exception being the wood deck which I purchased separately.

IMG_1987.thumb.jpg.332bde9c51a5a4a81b628c34a4841a0f.jpgIMG_1988.thumb.jpg.8fc3c3725eebe67d208f3a5120708624.jpgIMG_1991.thumb.jpg.8e486335cc2468b065c1762e17ec0433.jpgIMG_1989.thumb.jpg.7e5263848a520643d3d49e9694e20c7b.jpgIMG_1990.thumb.jpg.facd12d8a4bc245b728d936fcfd8826f.jpg

Edited by CDW

Got my seat  and  bino's  ready to hand.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Front and center.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Four's in, with my microscope, too. I'm a fan of Scharnhorst.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm here brother....  Good luck....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Awesome!  I'm in for this one of course!  Brave man starting with a battleship!  

I took a look at this kit and it seemed very nice.  I didn't end up picking it up as I have a bunch of IJN ships in this scale and didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of starting German ships, but it was a tough test of self-control!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Awesome!  I'm in for this one of course!  Brave man starting with a battleship!  

I took a look at this kit and it seemed very nice.  I didn't end up picking it up as I have a bunch of IJN ships in this scale and didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of starting German ships, but it was a tough test of self-control!

I've been quietly building a stash of IJN kits as well. But the Scharnhorst and Roma are two favorites.

Craig, for cutting the PE out of the fret, I use X-act No.10 blades.  I cut them out on acrylic plates  and hold-downs that I got from The Small Shop.  The hold downs are very helpful when cutting very thin PE.  I've made the mistake of trying to cut the parts without the hold downs, and sometimes with things as thin as railing, the PE will curve and bend, and at this scale, can ruin the piece.

image.png.639487ebe67e55d5be9f984eb3d3c7ae.png

https://thesmallshop.com/collections/photo-etch-cut-off-sets

image.png.eb8c88c959a0ac45d589db997b33973e.png

I just came across these #12 mini-curved blades that might work too:

image.png.d27f4eb64a464f77f522fded4af4756e.png

UMM has "precision sprue cutters" that can cut plastic and soft metals.  I forget which one I bought, but they can be an option:

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_28

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

I've been quietly building a stash of IJN kits as well. But the Scharnhorst and Roma are two favorites.

Mine too - don't tempt me!

Mike

Looks like I'm a little late, just settling down in the rafters for this one.  Good luck Craig 👍 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Finally made a humble start on the shiny horse last night, gluing together the upper and lower hull parts then a little sanding and filling of the seams.

Now that I look at this kit more in detail, it becomes obvious the model can be built quite nicely straight out of the box except you would need some photo etch railings. The plastic parts are extraordinary, fine details and molded very much to scale. Even the metal barrels are not entirely needed. I'm even thinking I may have been better off with a precut masking set for the deck (cheaper) rather than the wood deck.

I'll wait until I have more done before taking some photos. I think this is going to be a fun little build and quite pleasing to the eye with the molded details.  

quite a parts count for such a small scale........the detail must be enormous!  sitting in for this one.......I brought a lawn chair  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

quite a parts count for such a small scale........the detail must be enormous!  sitting in for this one.......I brought a lawn chair  ;) 

After I open the parts bags, I want to photograph the sprues. You won't believe the fine detail of the molded parts. Makes you realize how far this hobby has come in the past few years. The parts molds nowadays are light years ahead of what we thought was great 10 or 20 years ago. I didn't want to open the parts bags until I am ready to use them in fear of breaking and/or losing the parts. They are that small and delicate.

With this one started, I am now interested in the other 1:700 ship models Flyhawk makes. I never much cared for 1:700 scale before because it was so small and often parts looked out of scale and cartoonish. Not with Flyhawk. Downside is, they are a little on the pricey side.

7 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I brought a lawn chair  ;)

You can at least come in to watch Denis. It might rain outside on the lawn!:(:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Can't do that with my Shih-Tzu. He hates any kind of clothing, even in the dead of winter with snow.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

While the injection molding is superb on this Flyhawk kit, the brass barrels do make a difference. Here I began working on the secondary guns first by cutting off the plastic barrels.

IMG_2057.thumb.jpg.1532ba67677f23fa3a05670f989dae90.jpg

IMG_2059.thumb.jpg.ce686ece642ae78297c0e48059e39664.jpg

Our dog gets daily injections of insulin to control his diabetes. The left over syringes come in handy as micro drills as they are super sharp and very thin, much thinner than any of the twist drill bits I have.

IMG_2058.thumb.jpg.19150e82aa6bcb658246cd0c9a40c292.jpg

By far these are the smallest barrels I have worked with to date.

IMG_2060.thumb.jpg.8c2ece858177b6adc6cab026427bd519.jpg

Great work with those Tiny tiny pieces mate  and the paintwork is looking mighty fine.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking great Craig!

Mike

Hmmm ... Injection needles are hollow, and different gauges of needles are graduated by size and 'bore'.  Instead of just using brass inserts for the gun barrels (which is a great idea on its own), one could cut the length needed from a stainless steel hypodermic needle with a Dremel cut-off wheel.  This would fit right into the hole bored with the same size needle, but instead of being solid brass, it would be a stainless steel gun barrel with a genuine bore.  How cool would that be?   Fair sailing, Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65