Scharnhorst 1940 by CDW - Flyhawk - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

Tiny work Craig 😲

Looking good !

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Hmmm ... Injection needles are hollow, and different gauges of needles are graduated by size and 'bore'.  Instead of just using brass inserts for the gun barrels (which is a great idea on its own), one could cut the length needed from a stainless steel hypodermic needle with a Dremel cut-off wheel.  This would fit right into the hole bored with the same size needle, but instead of being solid brass, it would be a stainless steel gun barrel with a genuine bore.  How cool would that be?   Fair sailing, Johnny

That works perfectly for straight gun barrels, but the Scharnhorst gun barrels are stepped down. Larger diameter at the base then smaller diameter for the length of the barrel. The brass barrels are turned on a lathe to achieve that step in diameter. 

that size of gun has a elongated breech and barrel.......if your gonna fire something that big,  you'll need the room ;)   look at the size of the breech on Leopold,  the German rail gun....freak'in huge!   I'm sure your using magnification for this one.......very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Those brass barrels really dress up the guns for sure.  Nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Started laying down the wood deck pieces. The molded anchor chains are quite good and acceptable, but unfortunately must be removed in order to install the small wood deck pieces around them/under them. The replacement for the chains is photo etched chain and not quite as nice as the molded chains because the PE chain is 2 dimensional. Maybe I will test some paint to try and match the color of the wood deck and just paint the small deck areas around the molded chains and that way leave them in place.

IMG_2067.thumb.jpg.91b45a555b2805ab28c322a031bc0906.jpgIMG_2068.thumb.jpg.de1253414f12951d1d57fbfa20dc350c.jpg

Not sure what you are saying about the PE chains. They looks 3D in the pictures above even when zoomed in. Nice work.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

Not sure what you are saying about the PE chains. They looks 3D in the pictures above even when zoomed in. Nice work.

Those are not the photo etch chains. Those are the molded on chains which I chose not to remove and replace with two dimensional photo etch chains.

The wooden deck calls for removal of the molded chains and replacing them with photo etch. I think that's a bad idea in this particular case because of the quality of the Flyhawk molded plastic details.

The wood deck is great, your paint job to save the moulded anchor chains has worked a treat 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Cant believe how nice this is looking - really nice mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

agreed with the chain detail.......I chose to use the PE chain on the Vendetta,  and should they get bent {for some unseen reason},  they are difficult to lay down.  also they look 'flat'.   the deck is really nice.......interesting that they make them for this scale.  do you have bits for the upper levels of the structures,  or are they to remain 'metal' decking?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

agreed with the chain detail.......I chose to use the PE chain on the Vendetta,  and should they get bent {for some unseen reason},  they are difficult to lay down.  also they look 'flat'.   the deck is really nice.......interesting that they make them for this scale.  do you have bits for the upper levels of the structures,  or are they to remain 'metal' decking?

Yes, the pieces for the upper decks are included. 

Got a bit of bad news from my local hobby paint supplier when I learned that there will not be another shipment of Mr Color paints for another 6 - 12 months. Not certain of the cause, but it might be Covid related. On a positive note, my supplier became the US distributor for Mig Ammo paints. I've had good results with those in the past but they were hard to come by. Now they are here in my town in full stock. Will have to learn the conversion for them as almost all Asian models give color call outs in Mr Color reference numbers.

Edited by CDW

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Got a bit of bad news from my local hobby paint supplier when I learned that there will not be another shipment of Mr Color paints for another 6 - 12 months. Not certain of the cause, but it might be Covid related. On a positive note, my supplier became the US distributor for Mig Ammo paints. I've had good results with those in the past but they were hard to come by. Now they are here in my town in full stock. Will have to learn the conversion for them as almost all Asian models give color call outs in Mr Color reference numbers.

I like the Mig Ammo washes  but when I opened them I got quite a shock as they are quite smelly  even if being brushed on, I was concerend about the admiral  noticing the smell  as they are a bit on the Turps  type of smell.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I've learned that when working with a detailed model on this small scale, it's important to work over a surface that will catch your small dropped parts and not allow them to bounce and wind up in places unknown. If you are anything like me, you will drop parts. They are so small, it's just part of the game. I found that laying a white terry cloth towel over my work surface will catch the parts when I drop them and make them easy to spot, gray parts on a white surface.

IMG_2080.thumb.jpg.beff61aa2c211bb906e83aba5cb6f193.jpg

This funnel is nowhere near complete, and it already took seven separate parts to arrive at the stage as you see it here. Lots more parts to finish it.

IMG_2078.thumb.jpg.f196e0c65854ddc391579f6c006a7934.jpgIMG_2079.thumb.jpg.de765db1fdc3835dc5c97359bf406224.jpg

By the way, I acquired a conversion chart that gives the correct correlation/cross-reference of the many various paint colors that match Mig Ammo paints and their color numbers. I am not going to post the chart here as I am afraid it may be proprietary and not suitable for posting on the net in a public forum.

If you want a copy of what I have, send me a PM and I will share it with you.

6 hours ago, CDW said:I found that laying a white terry cloth towel over my work surface will catch the parts when I drop them and make them easy to spot, gray parts on a white surface.

IMG_2080.thumb.jpg.beff61aa2c211bb906e83aba5cb6f193.jpg

That’s a great idea.  I’ll have to try that.  I’ve used paper towel before but a cloth towel with more area sounds like a better plan.  I don’t have a problem so much with the kit parts but the PE can be a real pain when it drops or pings off the tweezers.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Another trick for snipping small parts off their sprues is to do that inside a large, clear plastic bag. May want to "liberate" one of the large Ziploc or similar bags from the pantry. :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

So what in the H*** are they anyway?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey