I've looked at many builds and I've seen one thing that seems to stand out. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. It looks to me like all of these ships are built very much the same, at least for a give time period. I look at Longridge and Dan Vadas build and all the same pieces are there. Slightly different shape maybe, but basically the same. Have you ever looked at a plan and said, "Whoa, that's different!" or do they all follow the same basic model?

If you are referring specifically to the age of sail, then your generalization about generalization is largely correct. During most of that era, progress in ship design was slow and took place in tiny steps, largely limited by the technology available at the time. Countries were also quick to copy whatever worked from other countries. Thus, for example, all frigates of the late 18th century had very similar lines, carried similar armament, and had very similar fancy work. Why? 'Cause it worked. Once steam propulsion came on the scene, the evolution of ship design was much more rapid. Consider that ships-of-the line changed mainly in size only for well over 200 years, but less than 100 years elapsed between Robert Fulton's primitive North River Steamboat and Jacky Fisher's Dreadnought -- pretty incredible.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane