28 foot American cutter by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

I wonder if they used the yoke to lock the rudder off while rowing, & used it for steering only while sailing. Wefalck seemed to be pointing to this. 

Edited by Mark Pearse

A great tutorial again Druxey, an inspiration to those of us who have a lot to learn yet on this muckin' about wiv Boat models stuff.

Congratulations on the completion.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

8 hours ago, Mark Pearse said:

I wonder if they used the yoke to lock the rudder off while rowing, & used it for steering only while sailing. Wefalck seemed to be pointing to this. 

No. The yoke was used when rowing and under sail. Locking the rudder would make it rather hard to steer the boat with the oars and it is very tiring for the rowers, when they constantly have to adjust the speed or force to make small corrections of the course. This is done by one or two 'helmsmen' at the rudder pendants according to the commands by the NCO or officer in charge of the boat.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind and positive remarks. It was a fun and challenging project to do. The model will be leaving port and going to her new owner shortly.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Shipman,

So long as MSW exists, obscurity will not be an issue.

Maury

Maury, you are quite right.

Where I live (Yorkshire, UK) I'm reminded that to see and be inspired by the very best models, an expensive journey of hundreds of miles is required.

30-40 years ago I was able to visit the NMM or Science Museum, as I worked 'just up the road'.

Seeing scale models of this quality, so long ago influences how I perceive what I see here.

There's no substitute for the wonder of the real object in front of you.

Absolutely beautiful. Do you feel a little sad to give away your ‚commissioned’ work to customers? I ask myself if they will appreciate all the hours and research you spend into that little project.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

I'm fortunate in that my clients are discerning people. Many have built models themselves and are aware and appreciative of what goes into one. For me, the pleasure is in the building and problem-solving rather than the keeping! So, no sadness. Well, perhaps a twinge of nostalgia for the first professional model I built....

Thank you again, everyone, for your interest, comments, questions and encouragement.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Druxey

I came across this lovely image of women's rowing teams in Sydney approx 1900-20, with the steering yoke pretty much as your craft, & showing how they worked. Amazing how close the designs are. SLNSW_FL999697.jpg.7af7238d27ab263efda56d271609884d.jpg