28 foot American cutter by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

People confusing him with his older brother.

😇

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Moving on, the details at the bow have been completed. I noticed on the photographs of the actual boat that the flanges on the inner sides of the hawse pipes were larger than those on the outer sides. A protective  metal strap extends down the face of the stem as well.

I'm now working on the wash strakes. First the stub timberheads were sanded to uniform height. Short lengths of plank are being added and then reinforcing pieces of mini in-rail. There are pieces of timber with a gap between tholes 1 and 2 on the prototype. I have no idea what their purpose was, but copied them here.

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Looks as if some sort of cross-piece would slot into the gaps of the re-enforcements of the washstrake. Perhaps for the slide-mount of a light boat-gun. Not sure, whether the Italian navy of the time would have something like this, but the contempory Prussian navy did. This guns could be mounted on three-wheeled carriages for use in landing operations.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I keep having to remind myself this is 1:48.  Simply beautiful.

Maury

The wash strakes are now complete with their reinforcing pieces of in-rail. The in-rail is trapezoidal in section. I cut strips wider than the finished rail, beveled the outer edges, glued the pieces in, then trimmed the inner edge with a sharp blade and sanded. It is surprising how solid the structure of the model is. I'm in the process of fitting the last two knees at the stern, uniting in-rail with the transom. Again the knee is fitted and glued in over-size and the inner face shaped once it is secured.

Although there are still quite  few details to make, it is time to start considering how to mount and display the model. I'm favoring a similar base to that of other open boats that I have made, featuring burl veneer. However, a final decision is still pending.

(The pencil included for scale has been requested!)

IMG_2806.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Had you considered mounting her suspended from davits?

😇

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

One runs out of superlatives to lavish on this model. David, outstanding job!  

Sweeps? Yes, there will be. Davits? No - then I'd have to build the ship the davits are attached to. "Ain't got no time for that!"  Thanks for the kind comments and for looking in again, everyone.

Models like this from you Druxey is why we turn to you for advice and inspiration. simply outstanding workmanship raised to the level of fine art!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you again, everyone, for following along and for your kind comments.

The seat back held several challenges. It curves, is tilted and has to fit properly. The shape was determined using card patterns. A two-layer veneer of Castello was laid up on a one quart paint can. This, 4" in diameter, was exactly the correct radius - sometimes the gods smile upon us. I noted two supporting battens on the rear of the seat back, just visible in one of Eberhard's photos. As it turned out, constructing the back was the easy part. Much more challenging were the two 'horns'; the supporting timbers on the fore side of the seat. Compound curved surfaces and compound angled scores were needed. It took a very long full morning to successfully complete these. These completed the internal woodwork on the cutter.

Next will be finishing the exterior: rudder, rubbing strake, tholes and decorative roundels at the bow.

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

Really looking nice Druxey.  What a beautiful model.   Will you be painting any parts or will you leave it all natural wood?  

Now on to the tholes. These look to be either bronze castings or of lignum vitae on the actual boat. For contrast, I'm using pear wood. The photo shows three stages in making these. It is much easier to shape them in situ than hold them in a hand vise. One done, eleven to go!

IMG_2816.jpg

This is an inspiring build. No paint...just beautiful wood crafted at its best...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Thanks for looking in, everyone.

The tholes were completed and the rub strake installed. The rub strake profile was rounded using a molding scraper and lengths then cut off using a slitting blade in the saw.

The last challenge was the roundels at the bow. The lettering was too small to paint by hand, so I created the roundels in PhotoShop at 600 dpi and printed multiple copies. The rope ring was beige thread. I formed the rings by wrapping thread around a drill bit shank, stiffening them with white glue. When dry, the rings were sliced off and glued to the roundels. The roundels were then cut free of the paper and the cut edges match painted. 

The rudder is next, as this completed the boat itself.

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

Beautiful work Druxey!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.