Strange Image Behavior When browsing Topics

No biggy, but this just started recently with Chrome in Windows  on more than one PC and I was wondering if it happens to other people.

Sometimes when I open a topic and  scroll through it, one or more images from the page  will open in new tabs without me clicking on anything.

Anyone else?

Not here. I use Chrome in Win 7. If it happened every time, I would suspect that it was setting somewhere.   You're not accidentally "double clicking" are you?  Using 2 pcs rules out things the PC or hardware like mice. 

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Not here. I use Chrome in Win 7. If it happened every time, I would suspect that it was setting somewhere.   You're not accidentally "double clicking" are you?  Using 2 pcs rules out things the PC or hardware like mice. 

No clicks..  Can't imagine what setting might cause this..

Normally it would take a right click and choose " open image in new tab "..  A lot of work to make it happen spontaneously..

It seems to happen randomly.  I'm trying to find a common denominator, like the type of image or something..

I'm working on making a screen capture video just to demonstrate.

Do you use the middle scroll wheel to scroll?

Apparently a middle click in Chrome (i.e pressing the scroll wheel down) will open a new tab... I wonder whether you're inadvertently holding down the scroll wheel as you scroll (perhaps the spring that holds it up is weakening?). That might cause this behaviour as you scroll pass the images (which in modelshipworld are embedded with links).

If that's the problem I'd expect it to do the same on a site such as https://news.bbc.co.uk as you scroll past the images for the news stories on the home page. If not, perhaps check your plugins and see if one of them is doing something weird?

(see https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/fg1r9/middle_key_scrolling_now_keeps_opening_new_tabs/ )